Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: longer 4x5 lens on a budget

longer 4x5 lens on a budget

Dear lazyweb,
    I have seen the fuji and nikkor 300 recommended all over the place but they seem a bit expensive. Is there a less expensive alternative I should be considering?

Some parameters:

I use a 4x5 field camera that extends to 450mm
    I do a fair bit of hiking around with it.
    I am new to large format.
    I could scrounge up a copal 1 if there is some process lens/cells that would work.
    I am pretty cheap, for example I don't mind messed up filter rings if the glass is clean.

Thanks for the help.
    Seth

Re: longer 4x5 lens on a budget

You might find a 14 or 16 inch goerz Artar or a similar Rodenstock apo ronar for not much cash. Think about puttIng up a wanted add in the classified section of this forum and you'll probably get many choices to choose from. Good luck.
    Regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    You might find a 14 or 16 inch goerz Artar or a similar Rodenstock apo ronar for not much cash. Think about puttIng up a wanted add in the classified section of this forum and you'll probably get many choices to choose from. Good luck.
    Regards
    Erik
    There's also a 12" Artar, which is what the OP wants. But Artars come in barrels usually, and to have the cells put in a shutter won't be cheap. A 12" Artar in a shutter might turn up, but usually these command a premium. Otherwise a great lens.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thanks for the help,
    I wouldn't mind a 360, actually I'd probably prefer it, but I am thinking that I need a copal 1 shutter. Skgrimes lists the 14in artar as fitting a #3, but the 12in in a #1. hmm

It sounds like a Rodenstock Geronar 300mm f/9 is the lens for you. It's a triplet, but still quite sharp at f/22. It's light, multi-coated, contrasty, and compact (mounted in a No. 1 shutter). Because it's a triplet, it doesn't have the coverage and wider-aperture image quality of a more complex lens, and that usually drives the price down. I've seen them for sale in excellent condition for under $300. But you may have to search deeply and wait until one becomes available. I don't see any at KEH or on ebay at the moment.

Rick "who has a 150 Geronar and thinks it a fine lens" Denney

g-claron ???
    fujinon-c ???

I bought a Schneider Xenar 360mm telephoto on ebay for $125 some time ago in a working compound shutter. It was an okay lens considering the price, but it was big.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Be on the lookout for telephoto design lens. Graflex Tele-Optars tend to go pretty cheap if you can fit one on your camera. I really like my 12" Dallmeyer Tele-Anastigmat f/7.7. It's very compact- probably not an easy lens to find cheap though.

The Graflex Tele is a lousy lens for hiking. It's big and heavy. And, if your Field Camera is like my Calumet Woodfield, the lens wouldn't fit on the board and the front locks wouldn't support it anyway.

The 12" Artar is a good thought but you would need to pay Grimes (or someone) to make adpaters so the cells will actually thread into the Copal shutter. Are you shooting color or B&W? How sharp a lens do you need/want? You could try some of the old convertible lenses in a shutter - for example, T-R Anastigmat, B&L Protar VII, Goerz Dagor. Any of those in the 5-8" range (as a pair of cells) will have a single element that's on the order of 12-14" (I've used my 5 1/2" Dagor, and 4x5 T-R triple on my Woodfield as converted lenses but a 13 3/4" Protar cell was too long for the camera). Not the sharpest thing in the world, but not bad stopped down. The problem I find with longer lenses is that they will usually cover 8x10 so command a bit of a premium price. Process lenses are inexpensive and can be quite sharp but can cost a fortune to fit into a shutter.

Dan

jadphoto

As RD said, the Geronar is highly under rated. You might also find it as a Calumet Caltar. The 150 and 210 Geronar lenses were sold that way and I think the 300 might have been for a short time.

I have the 300 Geronar and it's quite sharp stopped down. It should be considerably cheaper than the Fuji, Nikkor or APO Ronar.

JD