Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I like my Linhof Twin Shank tripod

Re: I like my Linhof Twin Shank tripod

It's heartwarming to see this good gear getting used instead of getting set aside in favor of trendy Chinese CF tripods and such....

Philip, one of the reasons I like this tripod is the maximum height. I work primarily in urban settings and from time to time need to see over obstacles—I keep a step-stool in the car. I almost never need to lower the camera. I can see that the modifications work for you, but are not necessary for the work I do. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy that great camera and tripod!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Philip, one of the reasons I like this tripod is the maximum height. I work primarily in urban settings and from time to time need to see over obstacles—I keep a step-stool in the car. I almost never need to lower the camera. I can see that the modifications work for you, but are not necessary for the work I do. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy that great camera and tripod!
    Thanks Richard! I do love my Norma and Twin Shank tripod.

Cheers,
    --Philip.

The Linhof is tripod I wanted years ago but could not afford. So I got a Manfrotto 028B Triman tripod which uses the same twin-shank principle. By removing the centre column and the support struts I now have an el-cheapo version of the OP's Linhof marvel.

The mutilated Manfrotto has held up everything I've put on it and is my regular 8x10 tripod. But I would swap it for the Linhof in a heartbeat.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

The design of these is great and rigid, I have a Lisand tripod that was given to me, very similar design, but with a 4" bowl receiver. Light and rigid makes a good combination when schlepping LF cameras around, I think.

I had a metal Bilora that was similar too, high quality, heavy duty... a lot of these older designs owe a debt to the old Ries and the movie industry.

I always thought a nice FOBA would be a good match with the Sinar Norma myself.

It appears that Manuel Alvarez Bravo was a fan of this tripod too!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I had a metal Bilora that was similar too, high quality, heavy duty... a lot of these older designs owe a debt to the old Ries and the movie industry.

I always thought a nice FOBA would be a good match with the Sinar Norma myself.
    Frank,

You do know that Linhof began manufacturing tripods in the 30's, same as Reiss did.

For some reason I can't see picture with modification you did? Would you mind to upload it again. Getting soon my Linhof Twin Shank and would like to use it with 8x10 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by RussPhoto View Post
    For some reason I can't see picture with modification you did? Would you mind to upload it again. Getting soon my Linhof Twin Shank and would like to use it with 8x10 camera.
    You are getting a Linhof Twin Shank or a Linhof Heavy Duty Pro? If it is the much lighter Twin Shank it is rated for 22 pounds. The Heavy Duty Pro can hold up your house!