Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any real difference between Rodenstock and Schneider?

Re: Any real difference between Rodenstock and Schneider?

Check out David Ward's recent color landscape work (UK). He uses 150mm Apo Symmar L and 210 APO Symmar. Images are wonderful with both lenses. Noone well published comes to mind who uses APO Sironar S.

After viewing many LF color images over the years, I found I liked the look, color and contrast of Nikkors and have not been disappointed with those several acquisitions. John Sexton is an example of a well known Nikon user (as is Leigh on this site). Check out his website.

Many like Fuji for brilliant sharpness in many offerings.

The English have a Peter Lik too.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    If you're looking at current generation lenses, Schneider is the only the only company with technology to make aspheric elements for large format optics, so they're able to make lenses with the design advantages of their XL series ... lenses as sharp as the previous generation but in much more compact sizes and with bigger maximum apertures.

If you're looking at medium format technical lenses for digital, most of what I've read suggests that the current generation of Rodenstocks has leapfrogged Schneider.

Otherwise, tossup.
    Not quite, Rodenstock has been making aspherics for decades. To see a listing of the optical componants that they supply see:
    http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/oem/oem/components/
    It is very unlikely that any lens manufacturer does not have aspheric capability at their factory.

Aspherics are not at all unusual. In the late 1980s Rollei sold their Prego P&S 35mm automatic camera which was made by Ricoh. It had an aspheric element. In fact, nearly all, if not all, P&S cameras had and still do have aspheric elements.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Some differences could be noticed if:
    Scanning resolution is over 3000dpi in drum AND
    Not using solvent developers like Xtol AND
    Using f/16, f/22 max.
    Don't know of any other manufacturer besides Rodenstock combining APO and ED in their lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    It is very unlikely that any lens manufacturer does not have aspheric capability at their factory.

Aspherics are not at all unusual. In the late 1980s Rollei sold their Prego P&S 35mm automatic camera which was made by Ricoh. It had an aspheric element. In fact, nearly all, if not all, P&S cameras had and still do have aspheric elements.
    Until fairly recently, pressed glass or acrylic lenses were considered unsuitable for anything better than point-and-shoots (where they did not establish themselves until the Disc cameras either). The bulk of aspherics is used for non-photographic applications, by the way - most go into car headlamps and showroom spotlights...

Stefan

Not quite, Rodenstock has been making aspherics for decades. To see a listing of the optical componants that they supply see:

While I do not doubt that Rodenstock are capable of manufacturing aspheric lenses (hey, the Vikings could do it 1000 years ago ), I don't think anyone outside the company has any idea about if they could make aspheric elements for large format lenses economically. Aspheric lenses in for example compact cameras are tiny by comparison, and the volumes are huge.

My APO Symmar 210 mm was for a very long time my reference lens re. sharpness, but since I have a Sinaron SE/Apo Sironar S 240mm this is my new reference in sharpness!

Cheers Armin

I think you'd see more differences between brands with the wider lenses--for example photographs from my old 110xl and 80xl had a very different look from photographs with the 115 Grandagon and 90 Grandagon I replaced them with. (I prefer the more even illumination of the Grandagons.)

For the plasmats in the middle focal lengths they're all very similar, although I've noticed that my 210 Apo Sironar S to be slightly sharper than my old 210 Apo Symmar (NOT the L version). But the Schneider was already an amazing lens.

I think the differences between these lenses in the middle focal lengths are subtle and could mostly come down to sample variation. If you're making small or medium prints you probably won't see any difference.

If you're making 4000 dpi drum scans and printing 40x50 and larger, then you may see a difference. If you're going to that much trouble, perhaps you should do what I did and try both brands. There really isn't a difference in quality, per se, at this level. There may be small differences in color, contrast and the overall look of the image. And these are all matters of personal preference.

If you want a current lens, it seems like the Apo-Sironar S lenses come up on the used market more than the Apo-Symmar L lenses.

I tried a few Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, and in the end my kit ended up all Rodenstock. I like the even illumination and contrast on the Grandagons and there is something I can't quite define that I like about the Plasmats. I guess it's the slightly warm rendering and good contrast.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Does Rodenstock make large format optics with aspheric elements?

The real pro way to do it is to buy three of the same best lenses, do strict film tests, and keep the best. While they all will be good lenses, there is always "best" and individual sample variation may be more significant than brand/design.

It's like Nikon or Canon long sports photography lenses, they all are excellent but you'd expect to find a subtle difference between individual samples.