Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Google drive

Re: Google drive

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    If you don't have 100's of gigabytes of garbage you're not using your computer properly.
    Mea culpa. I guess I should think of moving into the twentieth century, someday.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This is something I do not understand, how one could need this storage? In all the years I've had a computer - 6 years, I've filled 8gb on a 250gb harddrive.

Aside from images, what are people storing that takes up so much space? I can understand a business, but not an individual needing so much storage.
    Seriously? My photo files take up 1.04 Terrabytes at the moment. And I've been fairly inactive the last couple of years.

When I was doing weddings, a wedding would be 30-60 gigs.

100 gigs here, 100 gigs there, pretty soon, we're talking a lot of bits.

350 or so gigs of music too. That's crazier. A little OCD on that front. But I enjoy what I have.

Plus backups, I have about 11TBs of images stored. And that is just since I started digitizing film or shooting digitally 6-7 years ago. If I went to digitize my entire film library...........Images are both my hobby and profession-no way around needing serious storage that I have control over.

Search the web it appears Google will have repro rights to your content. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/29...dropbox-icloud

google services contract:

"Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

Draconian...........
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 25-Apr-2012 at 13:50.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I just signed up with cx.com, not for backup but for file transfer. I occasionally have a need to send someone a file much larger than can be emailed, and sending disks is a pain. This seems to be the main advantage of cloud-type services--being able to easily move stuff around. If you don't want to easily move stuff around, but just want to stash stuff somewhere relatively secure, there are better options. And yes, always read the TOS carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Draconian...........
    Google has to walk this back, or somehow be more reassuring as to the protection, control and privacy of people's content they get paid to store. No doubt the legalese in their Terms of Service is raising many eyebrows.

From this page:

[Updated at 11 a.m. April 25: A Google spokesman issued a statement via email affirming users' ownership rights.

It reads: "As our Terms of Service make clear, 'what belongs to you stays yours.' You own your files and control their sharing, plain and simple. Our Terms of Service enable us to give you the services you want — so if you decide to share a document with someone, or open it on a different device, you can."]
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    Microsoft's skydrive gives me 25GB for free...
    Ready now.
    But file sizes are limited to 100K and mapping a local drive letter to the Skydrive is a bit convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Mea culpa. I guess I should think of moving into the twentieth century, someday.
    Ah, we are now in the 21st century.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Services like dropbox and google drive are primarily about synching, not backup. If you have files you want to keep in synch on different devices (workstation, laptop, iphone, etc.) they work really well. I use dropbox right now for a subset of my files, including writing projects. Generally ones that are small, and that I work on a lot and don't want to have to worry about the version mismatches that are inevitable if you have manually synch things from multiple machines.

Backup is a fringe benefit of these services. None of them is really adequate backup solution for anyone working with big files, unless you can afford the space and the massive bandwidth. I suspect in ten years or so this will be common but it's not ready for most people yet.

I have an eye on some open source projects that promise to give you dropbox-like versatility using your own server space. This would be ideal ... nearly unlimited storage, and no privacy concerns. The ones I found didn't seem quite ready for prime time yet.

So far dropbox has worked pretty well. I'll take a closer look at the google version soon. I'm surprised google only offered 5 gigs. They're usually more disruptive than that.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    But file sizes are limited to 100K and mapping a local drive letter to the Skydrive is a bit convoluted.
    What are you talking about 100K file limit? I just tested out uploading a 30MB file - no problem.