Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google drive

Google drive

Cloud storage. 5GB free, 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month. I tried to sign up but it's not ready yet. They'll email me when it is.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Re: Google drive

Microsoft's skydrive gives me 25GB for free...
    Ready now.

funkadelic

Microsoft is happy to have access to all of your data for free.
    Why not just get an external drive for backing up? They're fairly inexpensive these days and don't allow others to snoop/mine/share your information at their will.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Why not just get an external drive for backing up? They're fairly inexpensive these days and don't allow others to snoop/mine/share your information at their will.
    Yes, Google has a global privacy policy that covers all of their services. It would be wise for people using Google Drive to review the policy to be sure they are comfortable with the rights that Google asserts in using the data of their customers.

But having offsite backups, in addition to onsite backups, is highly recommended. Local data can be lost many ways. Fire, burst water pipes, tornado, theft, lightning strikes, dropping the drive, ...

There is no such thing like a free lunch. You should know that. Free in regards to 'clouds' could mean someone grabs your data.

There are many companies who offer data storage deep in mountains etc. Most of them are reliable and have an excellent reputation.

The better alternative is to invest into an external HD, make a backup when it's connected to your computer, and then send it to a relative and make incremental backups via ftp. Offer the same service to the relative as well. Oh, you don't trust your relatives? But you trust google? Hm.

On the other hand: we already talk about a generation with a lost memory, because most images of the digital age went to Nirvana. People just dump their cell phones and old computers, never caring about 'the obsolete stuff'.

A nuclear disaster would destroy all data anyway. Some disasters are like bush fires: they clean a lot of things, enable a new start and development, and after 10 years the landscape is nicer than ever before.

I've lost all my data twice. But not my chromes. After the first shock I started over again - and felt better than ever before, because I grabbed the chance.

Google would actually be OK from a privacy standpoint if they allowed data to be encrypted with a key of your choice. The good offsite services allow this. They are using caves in the mountains - they simply have redundant and appropriately equipped data centers in different geographic locations.

There is no reason to lose your data (or twice) if you have a proper backup plan. If there is a nuclear disaster, I think we have bigger problems than losing data.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    There is no such thing like a free lunch..
    I think there are lots of free lunches (but there are lots of lunches made to look like they're free but aren't). Sometimes there might be ads printed on your lunch, but sometimes it's as free and clear as anything. I use free software regularly for work and play. This BBS is free.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I have external drives, but I don't have a good strategy nor good backup habits (and I know simply getting cloud storage won't fix that ).

I've been trying to get a workflow that puts info in manageable clumps that I can zip easily and move off and easily access if need be. I think having the cloud and my own physical drives will be comfortable system.

This is something I do not understand, how one could need this storage? In all the years I've had a computer - 6 years, I've filled 8gb on a 250gb harddrive.

Aside from images, what are people storing that takes up so much space? I can understand a business, but not an individual needing so much storage.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This is something I do not understand, how one could need this storage? In all the years I've had a computer - 6 years, I've filled 8gb on a 250gb harddrive.

Aside from images, what are people storing that takes up so much space? I can understand a business, but not an individual needing so much storage.
    If you don't have 100's of gigabytes of garbage you're not using your computer properly.