Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for wet mounting fluid in Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley

Dave Karp

Re: Source for wet mounting fluid in Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley

After further research, I found a lot of information, including past forum posts. This is the first time I have seen Gamsol mentioned. From all of these bits of information it seems that a question is the purity of the medium used for liquid mounting. Ronsonol, which was at least at one time mostly Naptha, was also recommended. The counter to that sort of recommendation (besides flammibility - but see flash points above) is the possibility that additives or other substances in the product might be dangerous to the film. Alternatively, if not dangerous, they may leave a residue on the film that will be difficult to remove. So, to the exent that the fluid in question is pure, without any potentially harmful or hard to clean components, and otherwise safe, it seems that a Naptha product is a real possibility.

All of this is just me thinking out loud. If I was selling prints or thinking about selling prints I would just buy Kami or Lumina. It would be part of the cost of doing business. I don't even have time to think about that even if I wanted to sell prints. Between the cost of paper, ink, the printer and scanner I recently purchased, and other items, I have a lot of money invested. A safe, reliable and less expensive consumable would be nice at this point!

Plus, I hate to spend $$$$ when I could spend $ for the same thing, if indeed it is the same thing. I used to buy Arista Professional from Freestyle because it was HP5+ for less. I purchased as many 100 sheet boxes as I could afford when Ilford went into receivership and froze them. I just used up the last sheets of that film. I guess it is just my attitude about things.

Pali, does the Gamsol completely evaporate? Does it leave any residue? Do you have to clean the negatives?

Thanks everyone.

Dave Karp

For what it is worth, this is what it says about Gamsol on their website:

"Most solvents available to artists come from the industrial paint industry where solvent power and cheapness is prized. Gamsol is special: it is made for products and processes that come into more intimate contact with the body such as cosmetics, hand cleaners, and cleaning food service equipment."

"Gamsol is a petroleum distillate but all the aromatic solvents have been refined out of it, less than .005% remains. Aromatic solvents are the most harmful types of petroleum solvents."

"Gamsol’s flash point is so high it can ship via air cargo as a non-hazardous material."

I think I am going to give it a whirl.

https://www.gamblincolors.com/oil-painting/gamsol/

Here is the msds: https://www.gamblincolors.com/wp-con...SDS-Gamsol.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    For what it is worth, this is what it says about Gamsol on their website:
    Today I've tested this one, I bought it in a shop near home:

http://www.artemiranda.es/diluyente-...leo-titan/3946

I guees it's near the same than Glamsol.

This is TITAN DILUYENTE OLEO, this is an spanish brand of oil painting thinner. Label says it contains C9, C12, C11, C15 isoparaffins. Cost is €5 per 100ml.

Perfect result, absolutely no residue seen on a glass, complete evaporation.

...but if one buys 4L of kami it is way cheaper per 100ml... also if one buys a large ammount of purified thinner it goes cheaper.

Dave Karp

That is interesting.

I have the Gamsol, purchased at Michael's. I am awaiting some Dura Lar, a brayer, and a few other odds and ends and I will be ready to wet scan. Fingers crossed.

While on the topic, I was thinking earlier today that if anyone ever told me I would be purposely putting a refined petroleum product on my negatives I would have laughed at them. I always wanted to keep them clean, dry and away from any chemical once they were developed!

Dave Karp

Thank you Doug. Your suggestions for getting into wet scanning affordably are very helpful. I put together a set with Gamsol (16.7 ounces), tape, a brayer, .003 Dura Lar (in place of Mylar - suggested on this site by Sandy King and I believe similar to your suggestion on your site), some Kim Wipes, and a couple of squeeze bottles for just over $40. Now, all I need is some time . . . .

>> for just over $40.<<

$40 is awesome. Last time I bought it, Kami wanted around $35 just for shipping a bottle of Kami fluid (not including buying the fluid itself)!

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    Pali, how do you clean up Gamsol once done scanning?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post

Pali, does the Gamsol completely evaporate? Does it leave any residue? Do you have to clean the negatives?

Sorry everyone, I haven't been around much due to deadlines at work. I have used Gamsol for the last 2-3 months and I honestly cannot tell any different between Gamsol and LUMINA (from ScanScience). I have also heard similar feedback on Gamsol from other drum scanner users who claim the same. Gamsol dries clean and the only residue that you will need to worry about is going to be from any dirty surfaces (glass/drum/clear film) and/or tape glue that may not be resistant to Gamsol. For my scans, I make sure that I mount the negative so it's far from any tape residue and the drum surface is clean and I never have to worry about cleaning my negatives after scanning. I simply take them off the drum and hang them on film hangers for a few minutes and they are always perfectly clean once dry.

In my experience, I find that Gamsol (and LUMINA) dry slower than Kami but not by much. Kami tends to dry completely from a negative within in a minute or so where Gamsol will takes 2-3 minutes to dry.

Dave Karp

Thanks Pali. That is very helpful.

Doug, I purchased a 16.9 ounce bottle of Gamsol from Michael's. Their regular price is for that size is $22.99. I had a 40% off coupon, so it cost me around $14, including tax. :-)

I double checked. I guessed a little bit low. The total was around $44.

Now, all I need to find is time!

Good source on the east coast for Gamsol is Jerry' Artarama. http://jerrysartarama.com

Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits 32 Oz, Item Number 62364
    Sale price right now of $13.47, plus shipping.

Or buy a gallon for $35.97.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Dick Blick in Pasadena, CA has Gamsol 16 oz at $18, their online will ship ground 1 gallon at $35.97 plus $5 shipping fee. I am going to get a bottle for my next scans.