Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Re: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

The frame is made out of mahogany. It's an earlier model – I think their first model.

I have been in contact with Gibellini but the communication is a little difficult. It's an expensive replacement, It seems, so I was hoping to find a way to fix it on my end. Worst comes to worst, I will try find someone with a CNC machine to make a new one.
    If it is warped they should take responsibility for it regardless of age or cost! This is their reputation on the line!

.............I have been in contact with Gibellini but the communication is a little difficult. It's an expensive replacement, It seems.................
    Which is exactly what I had imagined before answering! Plus he may want you to post the camera back to Italy as there may be differences in hand built mahogany cameras - most of older mahogany cameras had fitting codes stamped on loose parts.

I would drop the stress of geting a solution in Italy and have someone local make a clone.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 11-Feb-2018 at 17:00.

I emailed Richard last week, but he hasn't responded yet.

Might try again in a few days.

Thanks also for the tip re. the fasteners. I'll check that out.

T

Worst case scenario is restoring part/back by firm clamping down to a truly flat plate, and heating with a heat gun (moving quickly) for 10 min or so, and leaving it clamped for many hours... This re-melts the ligens in the wood and can re-set it (but the finish can be affected)...

YMMV

They do this with guitar necks...

Steve K

Hi all,
    I have been in contact with Gibellini but the communication is a little difficult. It's an expensive replacement, It seems, so I was hoping to find a way to fix it on my end. Worst comes to worst, I will try find someone with a CNC machine to make a new one.
    And you think it'll be less expensive than to pursue your communication with Gibellini? I don't get your logic.

I emailed Richard last week, but he hasn't responded yet.
    T
    I' call him. L

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    And you think it'll be less expensive than to pursue your communication with Gibellini? I don't get your logic.
    You don't get my logic? I have friends with CNC machines and I work in a field with colleagues who have a lot of knowledge in conservation of materials like these. If people have the time – that's the limiting factor, really – but also inclimation to help, why not explore the options? It's not exactly cheap to ship things to and from Italy from New Zealand, especially as Gibellini want me to send the entire camera.

In any event, I'd prefer to get Gibellini to do the work as I like to support their business. I think they make great products and their new cameras look amazing (I wish I could play with one.) There's not a big space in the LF camera maker market for lots of players, so I commend anyone who makes a go of making them for a living.

Anyway, Alessandro has just been in contact and I trust he will look after me and fix the camera – it's not under warrenty and I never expected it to be a cheap or free fix. When I lock down some final details re. the probable price for the fix plus some extra small modifications, I will send the camera his way. Hopefully this week.

T

Anyway, Alessandro has just been in contact and I trust he will look after me and fix the camera – it's not under warrenty and I never expected it to be a cheap or free fix. When I lock down some final details re. the probable price for the fix plus some extra small modifications, I will send the camera his way. Hopefully this week.

T
    That's what I would do too, in your shoes. Good luck!

...I never expected it to be a cheap or free fix.
    this SHOULD be a free fix imo, as I've never had a back warp on me. Wista (4x5 and 8x10), multiple Zone VI nor my current Canham. None of my friends have ever had this issue either. As some noted, cld be improperly season wood or other manufacturing issue. Paying for return shipping I can see, but that's it.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    this SHOULD be a free fix imo, as I've never had a back warp on me. Wista (4x5 and 8x10), multiple Zone VI nor my current Canham. None of my friends have ever had this issue either. As some noted, cld be improperly season wood or other manufacturing issue. Paying for return shipping I can see, but that's it.
    If it is truly a warped back then there should be no charge to the owner for the part, replacement or shipping. This would be an extremely serious defect that the manufacturer should make every effort to resolve at their expense. Not a customer’s expense.
    This is after my over 35 years as the former US Linhof distributor.