Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Observation

Re: An Observation

I'm a newbie and a bystander. I want to weigh in with my perceptions about this flamewar as someone with no real knowledge of either party and no relationship at all with either. If, as a mental exersize I take either party's side and believe every word that person says as gospel, it still remains that there is an obvious conflict of interest. The basic premise about flawed moderating here is supported by the content of that thread.

That the thread exists at all points to pretty easy going moderating. Some of the comments, even if they are valid, are borderline libelous and if someone had a real thorn up their ass, rightly or wrongly, there could be legal $$$ scuffling.

Remember that all of these internet forums are worth the paper they are printed on. The best advice comes from when you hear it repeated from 4-5 proven, experienced photographers rather than trusting any one source as being an expert.

If anyone has a vested interest, or a conflict of interest, it is more about vanity than any great financial reward. Nobody is getting rich from large format photography, yet people blow their tops over other people's choices of developer or whether an image was modified in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 1-Nov-2006 at 09:36.

Eric Biggerstaff

Most of the flame wars seem to be between a few people, there are MANY photographers on this forum who either make their living as photographers or are serious about their craft who don't engage in the flame wars.

Some of the wars I find interesting, others are simply stupid. But the few should not ruin it for the rest of us.

I think flame wars happen when ego's get bruised, for what ever reason. When people are passionate about what they are doing, it can be difficult when others don't agree with their point of view. Then it becomes a tit for tat to see who can sling the most mud.

I missed most of the flame war from last night (dang it!) but it must of been a good one!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

These forum "parasites" (I guess I qualify as one since I have announced my openeings and book releases here) are also some of the most knowledgeable and frequent contributers on the forum. The flame wars represent a very very small percentage of their contributions.

These internet forums are worth the paper they are printed on. I wouldn't take it seriously.
    Take Petronio for example, his flame war contributions are minute compared to his frequent sarcasms.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Michael E. Gordon

For those of us not enmeshed in the politics of this or that forum or enterprise, these "flame wars" provide great entertainment value. I say leave it all alone. The threads will die on their own when one of the protagonists chokes to death on his/her own foot.

For those that find such threads bothersome, there's always the option to not look.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Maybe we should have a new forum, just below "The Lounge" called "Pissing Contest".

Only entries allowed are ones guaranteed to upset somebody else. Profanities not only allowed, but required. Just think of that old Monty Python skit "I want to buy an argument", but on steriods, and wee bit meaner. Might be good therapy for some people, and entertainment for others.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Take Petronio for example, his flame war contributions are minute compared to his frequent sarcasms.
    Funny, I find Frank to be one of the most entertaining personalities here and not irritatingly sarcastic. I guess I agree with his observations in general.

--

In one of her first speeches to the League of Women Voters, Eleanor Roosevelt is quoted as saying: “I am reminded of what someone once said about looking at an elephant. It is impossible to ever see an entire elephant from one place - you have to walk around it. If our elected leaders are to be truly effective, they must learn to look beyond what is in front of them.”

Just a thought ...

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

It's always about Ego. Nothing else.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

I'm a bystander, too.

But, by coming here, I figure I don't have to buy People magazine or the Enquirer anymore and therefore have more money for film and processing ;-)

Scott Davis

The only problem with the "pissing contest" forum is that it would quickly devolve to three people having at each other. Eventually they'd get bored when they only have each other to irritate and don't get the attention of an audience. It would spill back out anyway. Either that or die out, but the folks who would play in that sandbox are too stubborn to quit so I think it would be the former.