Thread: 6x17 custom Fresnel screen?

6x17 custom Fresnel screen?

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows where I can order a 6x17 Fresnel screen for shen-hao TFC-617A camera? I tried googling quite a bit but seems that 6x17 fresnels are very hard to find. Thanks a lot!

Re: 6x17 custom Fresnel screen?

Get yourself an A4 page magnifier and trim to size (making sure the centre part of the magnifier is used). Then mount it to the outer surface of the ground glass screen using tape.

Lachlan 717

Have you contacted Shen Hao directly and asked them? They do a Fresnel (according to a price list that Mr Zhang sent me last year); however, its size is not listed.

For the record, it was priced at US$55.

His email address is: zhangfmli@vip.sina.com

Please let me know how you go (I have the original Shen Hao TFC-617A; Mr Zhang built it for me last year based on a design brief I provided. He also is going to make a custom 8x10 in the near future for me that has a Sinar-sized front standard to accept Sinar's Auto Aperture Shutter).

Lachlan.

Thank you Lachlan! I'll contact Mr. Zhang to see if he can make one for 6x17 size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Have you contacted Shen Hao directly and asked them? They do a Fresnel (according to a price list that Mr Zhang sent me last year); however, its size is not listed.

For the record, it was priced at US$55.

His email address is: zhangfmli@vip.sina.com

Please let me know how you go (I have the original Shen Hao TFC-617A; Mr Zhang built it for me last year based on a design brief I provided. He also is going to make a custom 8x10 in the near future for me that has a Sinar-sized front standard to accept Sinar's Auto Aperture Shutter).

Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul O View Post
    Get yourself an A4 page magnifier and trim to size (making sure the centre part of the magnifier is used). Then mount it to the outer surface of the ground glass screen using tape.
    Thank you Paul for the suggestion. I have those page magnifier but their fresnel grooves are way too coarse and are interfering with focusing...

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by shadowleaves View Post
    Thank you Lachlan! I'll contact Mr. Zhang to see if he can make one for 6x17 size.
    One other suggestion that I would offer is to rigorously check the accuracy of your GG.

I found out (the hard way) that the GG is a good deal larger than the actual image size (I cut off the top of some mountains).

Since then, I have used a calliper measure to work out the exact size (and location) on the GG and marked it with thin black tape.

Let me know if you would like some photos of this.

Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    One other suggestion that I would offer is to rigorously check the accuracy of your GG.

I found out (the hard way) that the GG is a good deal larger than the actual image size (I cut off the top of some mountains).

Since then, I have used a calliper measure to work out the exact size (and location) on the GG and marked it with thin black tape.

Let me know if you would like some photos of this.

Lachlan.
    Thank you Lachlan. Please post some pics about the correct GG marks when you have time - I'm really interested. I haven't yet ordered the camera - the availability of proper Fresnel and the rigidity of the camera in strong wind are my major concerns now. Some of my friends who got the camera suggest that it is not very stable when the wind is strong, especially with the 300mm bellowfully extended. Have you got any chance to use the TFC-617A camera at high wind condition and if so how does it compare to cone-based 617 camera like Fotoman 617, or, a regular 4x5 field camera? Thank you.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by shadowleaves View Post
    Thank you Lachlan. Please post some pics about the correct GG marks when you have time - I'm really interested.
    Will do.

I haven't yet ordered the camera - the availability of proper Fresnel and the rigidity of the camera in strong wind are my major concerns now. Some of my friends who got the camera suggest that it is not very stable when the wind is strong, especially with the 300mm bellow fully extended. Have you got any chance to use the TFC-617A camera at high wind condition and if so how does it compare to cone-based 617 camera like Fotoman 617, or, a regular 4x5 field camera? Thank you.
    Regardless of what anyone here says, strong wind affects all cameras. I have not found any significant issue with this camera, nor my Horseman 4x5 L-series (which is much, much bigger than the Shen Hao, so should be affected more by cross winds).

Whenever I am shooting in the wind, I simply hook my camera bag to the tripod via a Bungee/Occy cord to help to stabilise the whole setup. I also try to stand between the camera and the oncoming wind to act as a wind break...

I have no doubt that some people will rabbit on about Fotoman cameras being more stable in the wind. I think that this would be true if you do hook up your bag to the 'pod. The simple reason for this is the weight associated with carrying 4 extra nose cones and the size of the camera bag needed to store the massive nose cones. With the Shen Hao, you just carry the lenses and adjust the bellows to suit.

You really should consider the last point carefully before committing to a cone system. You will be sh#tted off more often by the extra bulk and weight of carrying extra cones significantly more often than you'll be sh#tted off by wind performance.

As for the Fresnel, I use a 90mm f5.6 as my widest and I have not needed it. That does not mean that I wouldn't like it, though. It is a bit dark on the edges with this lens, but no problem with the 110mm SSXL. I certainly wouldn't think that it's a dealbreaker!

Lachlan.