Thread: Recommendations for poster size prints of high-resolution photos

Arrow Recommendations for poster size prints of high-resolution photos

Hi,

I was thinking of selling some editions of my prints. The prints will be large format digital files. Can anyone advise me on who to use for doing quality saleable color printing? I don't want to get ridiculously expensive - just want to create prints that will be of frame-able quality for someone to hang on their wall.

Advice especially welcome from folks who have made money selling prints of their work!

Thanks!

John

Re: Recommendations for poster size prints of high-resolution photos

Much depends on the control over quality that you seek. If you want prints that are individually custom color-corrected and printed on the paper of your choice then the best choice is to google "large format fine art digital printer" and pick one local to you. If economy and convenience are more important you might consider giving your local STAPLES a try, they have large format color digital printing shops in many of their stores. They accept most image file formats and the prices are very reasonable and turn around is typically a day or two. To the best of my knowledge there is no color correction possible and the choice of papers is very limited. However some jobs they have done for me recently are very good, certainly good enough to frame and hang. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    Much depends on the control over quality that you seek. If you want prints that are individually custom color-corrected and printed on the paper of your choice then the best choice is to google "large format fine art digital printer" and pick one local to you. If economy and convenience are more important you might consider giving your local STAPLES a try, they have large format color digital printing shops in many of their stores. They accept most image file formats and the prices are very reasonable and turn around is typically a day or two. To the best of my knowledge there is no color correction possible and the choice of papers is very limited. However some jobs they have done for me recently are very good, certainly good enough to frame and hang. Check them out.
    Thanks! Do you know what paper they printed on?

I have some 16 x 20 posters that are on a polymer material that is neutral white and semi-matt, I do not know the name of it, I think it was the "default" poster material. I think paper selection is highly subjective and it would be a good idea to contact them directly to find details.

Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    Thanks! Do you know what paper they printed on?
    Got some done at Costco - 16x20 Lustre paper. Fairly thick and acid free. Did the following images and they came out looking pretty nice, although I could detect some color variance and loss of SOME resolution quality. Most people probably won't notice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coffin.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	163513

Name:	Delaware House.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	163514

Name:	Greenhouse.jpg