Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    It's really hard to go wrong with a Chamonix. I love mine--it's my second most used camera (after Nikon D800E.)

Kent in SD

This is also a good news to hear, so then when i can afford it or go for it i won't think twice, and i already have a faith in it if something cheaper and less remarkable can do great job as well, so Chamonix it is.

Still hoping to se more results out of this camera regardless how good they are, and i am not in rush.

Any more information on cold weather performance Austin?

looks like we will have another chance these next few days!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Les

Thanks for the write up, Austin. The camera looks great. I was hoping to see an image or two out of this slick rig.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    Any more information on cold weather performance Austin?

looks like we will have another chance these next few days!
    Yes, it's coming down pretty hard right now outside my window. I'm thinking on where I might try to get to tomorrow to make some pictures. During the last storm, I was foiled by road closures all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Thanks for the write up, Austin. The camera looks great. I was hoping to see an image or two out of this slick rig.

Les

I've been out with it a half dozen times now and have really enjoyed it. If you're interested in pictures, below is a link to some recent ones. Most of the rectangular pics were made with the Hs-1.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

It's so tempting but I have a few concerns. Mostly I'd like to know if there is any sag at all when extended. I wouldn't be using lenses longer than 180 so I likely wouldn't need to extend that extra plate in the front, but still wonder about sag with the back and front racked out for a 180. Maybe the H-1 would be better. Not sure. The compactness of the Hs-1 really appeals to me. On the other hand I use a 150 and 110 most of the time so maybe I'm worried too much about extension.

Wish I could try it before buying. That's the problem with view cameras - ie buying on specifications/marketing.

There's not really any appreciable sag when the standards extend. Certainly not at 180mm. Compared to a normal chamonix N or F model there is more general flex in the rear standard if you push or pull it due to the increased mechanical complexity of the swing and rear shift, as you might expect, but overall it's still pretty rigid. Certainly for rigidity it knocks my old Shenhao TFC model into a cocked hat.

Thanks for the response.

I still wonder if maybe the slightly less compact H-1 is the "safer" option (bed is 3cm longer so 3cm less extension required). Anyhow, food for thought.

I can also attest that it's very rigid. More so than other cameras I've used. As far as extension goes, I'm using a 180 and have yet to need the "extra" extension.

Regarding cold weather, I was out this morning and it was 28 degrees (fahrenheit) and I had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I was enjoying the large knobs as I didn't have to remove my gloves at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	158722

Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. Hugo even said they could add mm to the focusing scale. Just can't decide on the Hs-1 vs H-1...