Thread: Purple on the edges of color film

Purple on the edges of color film

I'm working with someone who has a collection of 8x10 color negatives which were processed by a reputable lab in Los Angeles. A large amount of them have purple bleeding in on the edges. These are over various different film holders, and not a result fo the scan and on the actual negatives themselves. The film was fresh.

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this?

I've included a low res sample but you should get the idea. Many of them have this purple on both sides.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sample with color fringe107.jpg  

Re: Purple on the edges of color film

It could be chemicals didn't cover the sheet fully. What method of development do they use, and what orientation is the film moving through the process? I have experienced similar marks in my 4x5 process.

It's processed using dip and dunk, I don't know much else about the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexipike View Post
    I've included a low res sample but you should get the idea. Many of them have this purple on both sides.

Thanks!
    It must be too low res for me to see. Can you be more specific or include an arrow to "this purple on both sides". Do you mean the fine red lines on each side? If you are, that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexipike View Post
    It's processed using dip and dunk, I don't know much else about the process.
    Mexipike, do you know what orientation the sheets were dipped/dunked into the tank? If the film rebate edge was the nearest the top of the tank, it may have been possible the film was not fully immersed in chemicals. It also could be the bleach and fixer tanks properly immersed the film, but if the developer did not fully cover the film, this defect could happen.

Hi Chasis, I'm not sure the orientation. I'm sorry I haven't been able to upload a higher resolution file either, the negative is with at his studio, I'll be back there this week and try to get a new file up. The purple is on the bottom edge, and it's actually on both sides but the scan cropped off a little bit of one edge.

I kind of suspected some sort of development issue. I wanted to be able to rule out a light leak with the camera or holder (holders are brand new) would it be safe to assume that it probably isn't that?

It looks too uniform in color and not directional enough to me, to be a light leak. I'm still with the idea of it being a processing defect, for example the film not being fully immersed in developer.

From what the lab has finally discussed it seems as if it was probably a processing problem. I'm going to start a separate post, but I'm interested in what the best C41 sheet film lab in the U.S. would be? Looking for a great lab with great scans. We're in Los Angeles but willing to ship.