Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

Re: West Coast Imaging or Calypso?

Their order form is seven pages long and I just scanned it (no pun intended), but I didn't notice whether one has a choice of where the scan is to be done, but it appears so from this quote taken from their scan page:

"Moreover, when you choose JaincoTech’s scanning services in India, you benefit from the offshore outsourcing model too. "

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    JAINCOTECH.COM Ask for Guatam Pai. I have dumped WCI for Jainco, 1/5 the price of WCI, spotless dust free scans as good as Tango scans.

In my opinion WCI is resting on their laurels.

Doug Dolde

I have the scanning done in Ohio. I think they ftp the files to India for dust spotting. You really have to call them to get set up with them...they don't operate like WCI where you just send your order in for a fixed price.

If it's still relavent, I just got a notice from WCI about a sale on 200mb scans.

I have an Imacon that works reasonably well for prints up to 16x20, but I send my transparancies off to WCI when I need a larger print.I'm impressed at how much sharper the scans are even though the rez is higher. Let me clarify that statement. The image is sharper when I'm dust spoting at 200% in each of the files.

The last few 16bit 700mb files I've had done cost about $125 each.

I also use them for the large prints and have been impressed with their work.
    2cents.

Doug Dolde

Update on JaincoTech scans: They have just told me that they misquoted me initally at $14.00 and their new price will be $29.95.

However for scans done in India by them the price is:

6x7 - $14.22 per scan
    4x5 - $16.62 per scan

I would not want my film sent to India for scanning. Too much chance of it not appearing there or back here. I would rather pay more here and make sure I still have my film.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the information about Jainco. I called them today and inquired about getting some scans done using the Creo. I want to get a large enough scan done to handle a farily large prints and if larger prints are requested I'll have drum scans made.

For images that need some tweaking I'm guessing 16 bit scans are needed.

What file sizes would you recommend? I was thinking of having scans made for 32 x 40 inch prints but maybe that is overkill and 24 x 30 would be large enough.

I will have prints made on Lightjets and Epson printers.

TIA

Doug Dolde

I wouldn't even try to recommend a file size for someone else. I get 16 bit @2050 dpi on 4x5 film = ~ 450mb. Seems sufficient for anything but a 40x50 print (which I probably will never do).

PS: Harley you're they guy who recommended I save my money and not buy a Maxwell screen for my Arca Swiss...glad I didn't listen.

I hope no one takes offense but I have to speak up....

I have a different philosophy. I don't do this a tiny amt for a tiny amt of data, more for a little more, etc. I like really great scans, with tons of data. We deliver scans that are 1.7 Gigs of data off of a 4x5, about 2 Gigs from a med format, 3 Gigs from 8x10. All 16 bit RGB. All hand-held thru the process, aperture matched to film grain, etc.

We use an Aztek Premier, in addition to delivering up to 8,000 pixels per inch, it has an optical resolution of 8,000, which means it can deliver real data. The Tango has an optical rez rate at only 4,000. (It's a great scanner too, but it can't match the sharpness of a Premier.)

We don't charge by the megabyte, only by the size of the original, $125 for med format, $135 for 4x5 and $150 for 8x10.

I don't suggest using a scanner that charges $19 for doing anything, unless you really don't care about it, or you are reproducing it very, very small. I would suggest that you choose a scanner company by the operator, by how attentive the operator will be to your needs. A scan is not just a thing that goes thru a machine and comes out - there are a lot of controls. Great scans come from people who really care about them. The better a rapport you have with the person doing you scans, the more likely you will get what you want.

Good luck, and sorry for the self promotion. I tried to keep it to a minimum.

Lenny

Lenny Eiger
    www.eigerstudios.com
    707-763-5922

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post

We use an Aztek Premier, in addition to delivering up to 8,000 pixels per inch, it has an optical resolution of 8,000, which means it can deliver real data. The Tango has an optical rez rate at only 4,000. (It's a great scanner too, but it can't match the sharpness of a Premier.)
    Is there more than 4,000 on LF film anyways ?

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Is there more than 4,000 on LF film anyways ?
    Yes there is.

There are a lot of variables here. One of them is the device. Much of these tests were done on a Tango, some of the others on other scanners with a 6 micron capacity. They are not capable of more than 4,000 dpi of optical resolution. So the word on the street reflects this. Since the Tango is also set at an aperture of 11 microns (up until some software changes last year which allowed them minimal flexibility) there was also the word that you can't scan color negs (which usually scan well at 19 microns or thereabouts). I have aperture settings every two or three microns or so and can scan at 16, 19, or 22, whatever is necessary.

There are other variables. One should understand - there are 4,000 6 micron slices in an inch (24,000) - the conversion is really 2.54 cm to the inch, so this is fudged a bit. There are also 8,000 3 micron slices. So, it's one possibility that one doesn't get to the 8,000 unless you are scanning at 3 microns, which is rare. (Only test targets and military film.)

However, this does not appear to be the case. I have tested my scanner against the Tango at a similar micron level to its 11 and it is definitely quite a bit sharper. So there is something to it.

This has been discussed on the Scan High End list and there is general agreement that a 3 micron capable engine definitely supplies more resolution - at whatever aperture. Finally, I would say that I have seen this myself, with my own images. The limitation, at least in b&w, these days is the film.

Lenny