Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning to USA from Canada??

Re: Returning to USA from Canada??

A couple of years ago my wife and I went into Montana at the Wild Horse crossing with a bunch of large format gear. US Customs guy suspected that we were commercial photographers until I told him it was large format and film and we were going to shot some old elevators whereas he immediately stopped looking into our car and started telling us about an abandoned rail line unfortuatenly the opposite direction we were heading to.

In my experiences crossing back and forth it is hit and miss on if Customs from either side is polite or rude but it is very unlikely they would open a film box or film holder especially once the problems that creates is explained.

We are taking a cruis up the Pacific coast to Alaska next summer. Flying into Seattle, but leaving on the ship from Vancouver B.C. I will take my 4x5 kit. Anything I should know about regarding customs on either side ? Will the cruise-line x-ray the luggage?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Some friends have had problems when they tried to take photos of their border crossing. Just family album stuff but it really set off the crossing officers. Threats of prison, impounding cars and cameras, scaring the kids.
    Not sure what they are afraid of but it might be smart to keep the cameras off while crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    We are taking a cruis up the Pacific coast to Alaska next summer. Flying into Seattle, but leaving on the ship from Vancouver B.C. I will take my 4x5 kit. Anything I should know about regarding customs on either side ? Will the cruise-line x-ray the luggage?
    I expect customs will be in the basement of the hotel next to the dock in Vancouver. Quite cursory, but hand baggage did go through the scanner. suitcases ans such are handed over, to go to your room and are x rayed.

Another thing to keep in mind is registering your equipment with US Customs before you go.

Customs can and might charge you import tax on your own equipment when you come back into the country. I was taking a trip to Calgary, AB with a case full of Hasselblad. I had been told about this 'register' thing beforehand and took my gear into the Customs house and all of the serial numbers were taken and written onto a form and then signed and stamped by the customs agent. I thought it all was a waste of time until I tried to bring it back over the border. I was asked for my customs paperwork and was glad I had it. I asked why it was necessary and the agent told me it was because it was so valuable. If I had bought the case full of Hasselblad in Canada, I would have had to pay import tax on it to bring it back into the US. The customs registration was proof that I had the equipment in the US and had taken it to Canada to use it.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is registering your equipment with US Customs before you go.

Customs can and might charge you import tax on your own equipment when you come back into the country. I was taking a trip to Calgary, AB with a case full of Hasselblad. I had been told about this 'register' thing beforehand and took my gear into the Customs house and all of the serial numbers were taken and written onto a form and then signed and stamped by the customs agent. I thought it all was a waste of time until I tried to bring it back over the border. I was asked for my customs paperwork and was glad I had it. I asked why it was necessary and the agent told me it was because it was so valuable. If I had bought the case full of Hasselblad in Canada, I would have had to pay import tax on it to bring it back into the US. The customs registration was proof that I had the equipment in the US and had taken it to Canada to use it.
    Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post

I had a similar experience. I was asked my purpose in entering Canada and when I said photography, he took down the serial number of every piece of large format camera, lenses, meter etc. He gave me a copy but I was not asked for it on return to US. From jbenedict's experience, I will ask for an inspection and registration list in advance myself.

I took the train across Canada last month and had no problems. I kept my mouth shut about camera gear. When they asked the purpose of the trip, I told them we wanted to see the birthplace of Justin Beiber. They just laughed and waved us on. We did fly from Vancouver to Toronto on a domestic airline. No problems. They did their sniff test on my film and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brassai View Post
    I told them we wanted to see the birthplace of Justin Beiber.
    Dear God, I hope there are better reasons to visit Canada !