Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Plus

Re: Google Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Thanks, I signed up. Looks interesting. I like (as far as I understand it) the fact that you can keep your personal and professional life separate.

--Darin
    Yes, it will do that.

Post to the public = a Facebook public account
    Post to one or more Circles = a Facebook private account with fine tuning.

Note that you don't have to use their pre-defined Circles. You can delete them and make up your own.

Note also that one of the pre-defined Circles is labelled "Following". This seems to amount to a suggestion that Google+ users emulate one of the characteristics of Twitter, and it is diametrically opposed to how a private Facebook account works, where all relationships have to be mutual. At the same time, a fair number of people are using Google+ to write extended posts, which can't be done on Facebook or Twitter. Some people are essentially using Google+ as a blogging platform.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

It is possible to use Tumblr for its platform without associating with the Tumblr community. Use your own URL and, if you like, remove "Powered by Tumblr" at the bottom of the page. Tumblr's decision to support static pages opened up a lot of possibilities. Here are a couple of examples of Tumblr sites that use their own URL, both incidentally based on the same theme by a fellow in New Zealand: http://www.stanleychowillustration.com/, http://stewartwadden.com
    You've hit it... this is what most photographers should be doing instead of their clunky websites and it's mostly free... they are so much better sites from the user's perspective than what we have been saddled with for the last 15-16 years.

Sure the FB Biz pages are necessary, just like being in the phone book used to be. And you could post your latest success stories or someone could maybe take advantage of overlapping travel news ("I'll be LA the 20-24th and available for a booking on the 23rd").

But... I am still skeptical that people are benefitting as much as the hype wants us to believe. For example, I still can't figure out how Chas Jarvis benefits from spending 20 to 30% of his time and resources making videos aimed at other photographers? (I am just guessing at those figures.) I know he may be setting himself up to be the next Dean Collins or Arron Jones down the road when his assignments drop off, in which case he is brilliant, but in the shorter term, year-to-year, how does all this sharing help him with Nike or a snowboard client?

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    You've hit it... this is what most photographers should be doing instead of their clunky websites and it's mostly free... they are so much better sites from the user's perspective than what we have been saddled with for the last 15-16 years.
    All of these social media and free image hosting sites do have a benefit, but also a limitation. When a photographer starts their own "clunky website", they are free to define the licensing/usage terms of their images however they see fit.
    Under Facebook, Tumbler, Flickr, etc, the user is at the mercy of someone else's rules and regulations and must decide a go/no-go as to whether or not to sign up for the latest internet fad.

All of these these social media and free image hosting sites do have a benefit, but also a limitation. When a photographer starts their own "clunky website", they are free to define the licensing/usage terms of their images however they see fit.
    Under Facebook, Tumbler, Flickr, etc, the user is at the mercy of someone else's rules and regulations and must decide a go/no-go as to whether or not to sign up for the latest internet fad.
    Good point.

I guess the thing that appeals to me about the Tumblrs, not to mention the LiveBooks and other "pre-rolled, easily customized, minimalistic" sites is that they are almost always so much better user interfaces than the lone site kludged together with Dreamweaver or worse, the big $$$$ Flash site that the bigger photographers impose on us. Nothing says you can't roll your own but follow them as a model.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    All of these social media and free image hosting sites do have a benefit, but also a limitation. When a photographer starts their own "clunky website", they are free to define the licensing/usage terms of their images however they see fit.
    As far as I can see, just about every major corporation and institution that deals with the public has a Facebook business page. These people know plenty about intellectual property rights, and they are apparently not concerned. Of course, one should read the terms oneself, which I have, and which in the case of Tumblr, Facebook business pages and Twitter don't concern me.

I don't think that the concept of social media is a fad, although particular platforms may come and go. It seems clear enough that there is a demand for the kind of interaction that social media provide. From a marketing perspective, social media have very real benefits when it comes to targeting one's desired audience and communicating with that audience. The analytical information alone that one gets from a social media provider (e.g. the demographics of the people who are interested in you) is extremely useful.

Two of the considerable benefits of platforms such as Tumblr, Facebook business pages, Twitter and Google+ are that sites are extremely easy to set up and maintain and they don't require a financial investment. Facebook business, Twitter and Google+ can be set up in a couple of hours. A Tumblr site can be up and running, complete with content if it is ready, in a few hours. The Tumblr theme used in the links that I provided above costs $9, and coding, if you want to do it yourself, is pretty simple relative to the alternatives. To my mind, the issue isn't intellectual property rights, but rather having the resources/time to feed the beast. Social media sites are content hungry.

As an aside, for those who may not be aware of it, Twitter now has image hosting built into its dashboard, which makes it very convenient to publish a tweet with a link to a photograph. This was introduced in June. The actual hosting is with Photobucket.
    Last edited by r.e.; 13-Sep-2011 at 07:48.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I've signed up as well and had a few users add it on my page, but I don't think it will be any immediate impact. I know they are just trying to do everything they can to erode Facebooks user base. Long term don't think it will last.

From workshops I have attended about using social media for marketing, the experts expect Google+ will become very important to businesses because of the impact it will have on your Google rankings.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Galbraith View Post
    I normally run with JavaScript turned off, and that Google page came up blank! I thought there would have been some content, but there's nothing! Wow, all of the content is behind JavaScript.

After the initial release of G+, I have only one friend who is still posting there. Google tried this before, and didn't make it when Facebook rolled out another update of features.

Too much social networking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I normally run with JavaScript turned off, and that Google page came up blank! I thought there would have been some content, but there's nothing! Wow, all of the content is behind JavaScript.
    I bet when it's really released (not beta or "field testing") it will have some functionality w/o JavaScript. Of course it will be fairly crippled, but there will be something there.

...Mike