Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Re: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

I am surprised it has not been moderated more heavily. Many times I have felt this thread is out of hand. Argument and discussion is one thing, but when it turns personal, and nastliy so, then its time for the delete button. The method is to goad and prod someone until they explode, which makes them look bad. But never forget who is doing the goading and prodding, they are the bigots and bullys. I have done a lot of pot stirring in my time and if it makes people think its a good thing, but when it gets personal its wrong. There are certain people who make it their business to nit pick and testily undermine a posters opinion (and I include myself), to bolster their ego perhaps, and exert control, but it seems to have spread a little too much. The forum where all viewpoints are tolerated amiably is a forum in which a lot of proiftable learning happens. Without people learing about large format, it will die. Mr Sawyer, you are a teacher, you know well a bigot in the classroom has nothing to teach his students. How many wonderfully intelligent people have been crushed by a closed minded maths or art or photography teacher?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Maybe before we assume it was one of the moderators, we should find out for certain if one of them removed the posts. Whenever I've seen a post removed from other threads here, there was always a marker left where the original post was with the author's name and the reason it was removed, and the moderator who removed them always identified himself. I've never seen posts disappear without a trace.

I'll report my own post and ask for whatever clarification can be given...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Leave the mods alone. Jeesh. This thread was a train wreck right from the beginning comments and only got worse as it went along with the bad reaction of the OP to some pretty lame comments by others.

It is not like there were any secrets that could save the planet that were deleted. Frankly I am surprised at the reactions some people in this thread had and it changed my opinions about some people too.

Think hard before you write something negative on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Maybe before we assume it was one of the moderators, we should find out for certain if one of them removed the posts. Whenever I've seen a post removed from other threads here, there was always a marker left where the original post was with the author's name and the reason it was removed, and the moderator who removed them always identified himself. I've never seen posts disappear without a trace.

I'll report my own post and ask for whatever clarification can be given...
    Its possible to do it by simply hitting the wrong button-easy to do if you are in a hurry and its also completely irreversible. We have all done it before. I know I have awhile back. Probably a simple mistake-not by Ken-he is on vacation or me-I'd remember but I haven't paid any attention to this thread. Whoever did it probably didn't even snap to it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I moderated this thread (something I do rarely these days) because someone called me by name asking me to do so. I am not particularly keen on wading through a thread like this, but when I do so, I delete all posts that do not follow guidelines (not "what I don't want to see") and their dependents, although I have made an exception for posts by Mark because they contain fine images.

As it has been guessed correctly, there are two options for deleting a post. "Hard delete" removes the post from the database. "Soft delete" replaces the post by a notice that the post has been deleted, and an optional explanation. Except for spam, I always use "soft delete" (I think other moderators do the same). I left an explanation only for the first deleted post as well as the last, since there were dozens in between. From there, it is easy enough to infer who "started" without need to preserve the offensive post itself.

At first I did not understand the accusations of "censorship", or "cover-up", since when I am logged under my account (see attached images), I can see the deletion notices. I created a secondary account -without moderator status. From that account the deletion notices are not visible, so there is something that's not working properly and we'll investigate. But even if this was intentional, I don't think those accusations are appropriate.

In the while, please note that the author has revised the article, taking into account comments. The old version has been overwritten by the revised version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deletion2.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	72874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deletion.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	72875

Thanks for the explanation.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Yes, thank you for the clarification QT. I agree with the comment that this thread has been a train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    I moderated this thread (something I do rarely these days) because someone called me by name asking me to do so. I am not particularly keen on wading through a thread like this, but when I do so, I delete all posts that do not follow guidelines (not "what I don't want to see") and their dependents, although I have made an exception for posts by Mark because they contain fine images.
    Please, if you can, delete those posts too. I only posted the images and my background when Bruggeman repeatedly challenged me as being unenlightened and inexperienced in portrait photography, and demanded "evidence" of my qualifications to comment. They seem rather pointless now.

In the while, please note that the author has revised the article, taking into account comments. The old version has been overwritten by the revised version.
    It's still full of problems, like "for people, you have to use mostly front movements, as back movements readily distort faces and bodies." There's a difference between using front movements for architectural perspective control and rear movements for focus control in portraiture, and there are reasons why the large studio cameras (designed specifically for portraiture), from the early E & HT Anthony's through all the Century Studio Cameras to the Rembrandt Portrait Cameras were made with only rear movements.

But whatever. I'd rather read reference articles for good information than to correct bad information or hear insults about my or other people's ways of working. This will be my last comment on the matter.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I just reported one of my own posts.

Issue resolved. A wrong button checked, amongst thousands available in the admin settings, thanks to Ralph Barker for figuring this out.

Issue resolved. A wrong button checked, amongst thousands available in the admin settings, thanks to Ralph Barker for figuring this out.
    Moderator = thankless job. Nobody ever says "great job", but you hear all the gripes. And the pay is not so hot either But we appreciate moderators even if it does not always seem like it.