Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

Re: Chamonix Hs-1 Review

I loved the Chamonix holders I ordered with my 4x10. Then when I got the 8x10, I got a half dozen of those holders from Hugo. Again, beautiful stuff. I've just ordered 10 4x5 holders too, but am on a waitlist for those. Considering these are priced similar to Toyos, I can't imagine going with plastic.

I also have an 8x10 and 4x5 glass plate holder on the way from them, will report back with pics.

CB

Since the 1970s till last year have used plastic Lisco, Fidelity, Riteway, etc. film holders. Few times they failed me with light leaks, but 99% of the time they just plain worked. Last year was in a position to purchase Whole Plate and 11x14 Chamonix film holders at prices that I couldn't pass up on. Once I got a chance to use the, never looked back. Dark slides at first seemed a bit stiff, but that turned out to be the feeling of a very positive removal and insertion. I did mark the dark slides with more prominent "unexposed" and "exposed" labels. My older plastic film holders I did notch to identify the holder and side in case of problems..... have seen no need to do this to the Chamonix holders. In the past I've used Sinar and Linhof film holders and Chamonix holders are equally precise. For my 4x5, I have a dozen or so Toyo holders. Toyo verses Chamonix holders... I can see how some might prefer one over the other, but both are of the best in quality, just a bit different in feel and use.

With the present prices of LF and ULF film, I can easily justify purchasing Chamonix film holders. Was a time in the late 1970's that I used to think nothing of shooting 2 sheets of Super-XX film for every shot I took. Well now with the cost of film way more up there in $$, I shoot one sheet of film in my Chamonix holder with full confidence in the holder.

I just bought the H-1 should be here in a couple of weeks. They tell me it is axial front tilt, but it looks a little low so I may correct that after I get the camera. Other than that, this camera has everything. I looked at probably a dozen cameras and a lot of research before I decided on the Chamonix. shame I gotta wait to use it until it gets here.

Ron Miller

Austin, I've had both the F1 and F2(current camera). After years of use, both my F1 and F2 have the same problem which is that the front standard locking screw is loose when tightened. This appeared after a lot of use. Often setting the shutter release causes out-of-focus results.

How is your H1 front standard locking holding up so far?

Ron

Ron,

Sorry to hear about this. Do you mean the screw that locks the front standard into the base plate? I can send you a replacement screw.

Hugo

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Ron,

Sorry to hear about this. Do you mean the screw that locks the front standard into the base plate? I can send you a replacement screw.

Hugo
    Hugo, no..Actually I mean the threaded piece in the baseplate that accepts the front standard screw.

Hi all. I saw today that this thread is still active and thought I'd chime in.

I'm still enjoying my Hs-1 very much. Looking back over my original review, I wouldn't change much. The design of the extra extension wheel (the one mounted in the bed) still bugs me a little with its sharp edges, although honestly, I've only had to use it a handful of times. If it were up to me, the "handles" of this wheel would be more like those on the steering gear of an old sailing ship, more rounded. Also, I still have some trouble with my dark cloth getting a light-tight seal. The horizontal level is a bit off but with the ground glass grid and my eyeballs, I do okay. The large knobs have become slightly squeaky, but I'm sure that could be fixed with a drop of oil, I just keep forgetting to do that. That's about all I can think of. Besides these niggling complaints, I like this camera a lot. It's rigid, smooth, and overall a very easy camera to use. In short, if I had the choice to buy it again, I would.

Best, Austin

I just received my H-1 and have been practicing with it. Focusing is as easy as it gets, the gg is super bright! And, it is very light, lighter than my 5DMKIII set up. The widest lens I use is a 75mm and so far, have not seen any issues with the supplied bellows when tilting/shifting/etc. I plan to use up to a 300mm lens on it which should not be a problem given it extends something like 350mm. I use a Really Right Stuff arca bracket to attach to my tripod. Did I say it was light? I would expect the H-1 to be the same as the Hs-1.

Focusing, is a simple as it gets. Loosen the left knob/s and focus with the right, then lock down with left. Tilting is a snap as well.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Hugo, no..Actually I mean the threaded piece in the baseplate that accepts the front standard screw.
    I believe the “threaded piece” is a helicoil. You should be able to replace them. I cannot tell you how to do that, but you can probably find a You Tube that will tell you how to do so. That said, it’s hard to believe that a plastic screw would wear out a brass helicoil versus the other way around. Maybe the part Hugo offered would correct the problem.
    Keith Pitman

Russ Fill
    San Diego when Im not working somewhere on the planet, or on the road.

Very nice work Austin.. Loved the 4x10 or 6x17 work.
    Russ Fill
    Director of Photography
    https://www.russfill.com
    https://www.instagram.com/russfill/?hl=en