Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Re: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    ...I haven't seen any evidence in the Fuji literature -- even in a possible error -- that shows the f6.7 with an EBC coating...
    That's because there never was one.

Re: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If the multicoating were not obvious from examiniation of the lens or resulting images, the question of multicoating is irrelevant.
    All of my Fujinon, Schneider, Mamiya, Rodenstock, and Minolta large format lenses are muti-coated, but many of the elements do not look multi-coated to my eye. So a multi-coated (an undefined term) lens may not appear to be so coated. It's not always perfectly obvious.

Drew Wiley

The 6.7 behaves as if it were MC, but Sal is right - it's not. Coatings are part of engineering, and what and how many is not a cut-and-dried proposition. G-Clarons were never MC either, and this was a deliberate decision long after multicoatings were routine. I once asked a Schneider engineer why it was the case with this particular lens series, and he replied that the lens was so well corrected already that there would be no real advantage. I assume that is also the case with the Fuji 6.7.

The 6.3 is a pretty darn flash lens. I use one on wholeplate, other than being slightly short on coverage sometimes, it is fantasticly nice. On 4x5 the 6.3 is ideal.

I need a 240-250mm with more image circle than my Apo Ronar 240 and though about Fujinon because itīs more affordable than the other comparable brands. I want to use it with color film in 5x7. Which version should I buy, W, NW or CM?.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    All of my Fujinon, Schneider, Mamiya, Rodenstock, and Minolta large format lenses are muti-coated, but many of the elements do not look multi-coated to my eye. So a multi-coated (an undefined term) lens may not appear to be so coated. It's not always perfectly obvious.
    I suspect both of your Fuji lenses have the same coating if they look the same. If they have a gold color they are both single coated, in spite of what you may have read about them.

Dave Karp

"I need a 240-250mm with more image circle than my Apo Ronar 240 and though about Fujinon because itīs more affordable than the other comparable brands. I want to use it with color film in 5x7. Which version should I buy, W, NW or CM?."

If you want the largest image circle, you want the original f/6.7 version, which is marked "Fujinon W" on the front lens ring. You can compare the image circles of the different versions here: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm. If you care about other factors, say multicoating, then the original version will not satisfy you. I have not used either of the newer versions, so cannot comment beyond saying I like my 250mm f/6.7 on a Whole Plate camera.

Drew Wiley

The 240A has just as much coverage as the W 6.7, and is even better corrected at close range. Tiny, and plenty bright for outdoor use. I've owned them both, and both are very good.

Drew Wiley

I should have clarified that. They have the same practical coverage stopped down to typical small working apertures. But open slightly, the 240A has a tad of mechanical vignetting due to the tiny no.0 shutter. Both easily cover 8X10.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    "I need a 240-250mm with more image circle than my Apo Ronar 240 and though about Fujinon because itīs more affordable than the other comparable brands. I want to use it with color film in 5x7. Which version should I buy, W, NW or CM?."

If you want the largest image circle, you want the original f/6.7 version, which is marked "Fujinon W" on the front lens ring. You can compare the image circles of the different versions here: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm. If you care about other factors, say multicoating, then the original version will not satisfy you. I have not used either of the newer versions, so cannot comment beyond saying I like my 250mm f/6.7 on a Whole Plate camera.
    Thanks for the link. 312 mm IC is enough for me for 5x7 use, so any of the versions would be OK. The question for me is if the f6,7 single coated version is good enough for color work. I have some Apo Ronars that are single coated and they work fine for me, but my experience with Fujinon is limited to two lenses I borrowed years ago. They were the latest multicoated versions of SW 105 and 125 mm, and they were superb.