Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: camera bag for 8x10

Re: camera bag for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    For carrying an 8x10 tripod long dstance, I'd opt for a rifle sling.

By far the best solution for packing an 8x10 in the woods is a mule!
    Either a mule replacing the mule that we are, or a love one (how one dreams)

If the rifle sling works anything like every other tripod sling or bag with sling, it's still not an optimum balance act in hiking over fair distance and rough terrains.

I suppose it's a price Lf exacts on all of those who need to work deep in the woods and far away from the car.

I recently picked up a Petrol 303 bag.

Holds:
    Kodak Master 8x10
    6 film holders
    Schneider 300 in its box
    Various photo accessories (light meter, loupe, etc)
    15" laptop

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Either a mule replacing the mule that we are, or a love one (how one dreams)

If the rifle sling works anything like every other tripod sling or bag with sling, it's still not an optimum balance act in hiking over fair distance and rough terrains.

I suppose it's a price Lf exacts on all of those who need to work deep in the woods and far away from the car.
    My 8x10 tripod is too big & heavy to lash to a pack, making it awkward to take the pack off in order to get the camera out & set up a shot. Being able to unsling the tripod and set it up so its waiting for the camera works smoother for me. YMMV of course!
    Mules are great company, btw You want one?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Galbraith View Post
    I recently picked up a Petrol 303 bag.

Holds:
    Kodak Master 8x10
    6 film holders
    Schneider 300 in its box
    Various photo accessories (light meter, loupe, etc)
    15" laptop
    I've got an over the shoulder boulder holder---a GI surplus 5 gallon water can cooler, it cost me about $17 IIRC. Holds a V8 'dorff, four film holders, dark cloth, lens cleaning & filter kits, and a second lens on a board(with the prime lens reversed and stowed aboard the 'dorff. Its not a back pack but I find it works fine for short hikes.
    Its a fashionable coyote tan!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    That would be the Large ALICE pack used in the arctic (among other places) It can hold more than most people can safely carry. I tried one for awhile with home made padding but it didn't really work that well as a camera bag for me. Maybe a better solution (if you want to pursue the military surplus route) is a pack board in conjunction with a hard suitcae fitted for your gear---pack boards have become more difficult to find these days. IMHO the best ones were the moulded plywood versions but like I said, they're rare.

For carrying an 8x10 tripod long dstance, I'd opt for a rifle sling.

By far the best solution for packing an 8x10 in the woods is a mule!
    I was using a Tenba Shootout Large pack for my C1. It worked ok. The C1 is a very tight fit. It held the Kowa 210mm on the camera and another lens in a side pouch (24" Artar or 300mm Heliar). 3 - maybe 4 8x10 film holders in the laptop slot. Tight fit and hurt my shoulders on long hikes.

I bought an Alice pack for cheap and got the molle kidney belt and shoulder straps. It definitely holds a lot more and I can feel the weight displacement is better than the Tenba as far as shoulder/hips. The problem with the Alice pack for me is I can still feel a bit of the frame through the kidney belt. I'll need to add extra padding there. But also the weight is too far out from my back. The space between the frame and my back is too large. This makes me lean forward a bit and I don't think that will help on long hikes. But it easily carries more than I need and I think the frame would help vs the Tenba.

Loaded up:

I'd like something a lot more comfortable but I don't hike all that much, though when I do it can be strenuous. I've heard of using the extreme backpacker packs, multi day stuff like the Osprey gear. I am sure they are more comfortable but I don't know how well they'd fit my C1. A straight up Molle pack would solve the weight being too far from my pack but the frame is plastic I believe and they are more expensive.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

(the bag I mentioned above)

I personally prefer the f.64 backpack for 8x10. It fits my Deardorff perfectly along with a few extra items. When I had a Wista 8x10, the Lowepro Photo Trekker was perfect for it, and I could even load 3 film holders in it. I got mine for cheap since it was a model from the 80's.

I have one of these for my 4x5, would be great for an 8x10 as well.

John, The only problem with 810 is that the dimension of the bag is 10" Depth x 12" Wide x 22" Tall.
    14" wide would fit most 810 comfortably.

Oops, sorry I didn't check width. The sides of the ICUs can flex out a bit; internal size on mine is 10.6", but I'd think about 11.5" would be the limit. Disregard.