Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of negative FS posts from non-involved users...

Lightbulb Getting rid of negative FS posts from non-involved users...

I've noticed in a few FS/FT/WTB/WTT threads where people are people chiming in about the prices that people want. I find this to be very rude to the seller, regardless if the seller wants too much. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if he/she can get it then good for them. If not, well, that's their issue to deal with. Heck, if I sold my 6x17 back, I'd want nearly full price for it but I wouldn't get it - but that's what I'd list it for because I love it so much. If I were to sell it, I sell it. If not, I'd adjust the price or keep it. You don't see people chiming in if the seller wants too little for an item. Is there any way we can "moderate" these posts out? All they do is cause people to lose sight of what the original thread is about: gear for sale. These posts tend to take civility out of what the original poster is trying to accomplish. I know I'm not perfect, but this stuff i just blatantly rude. Just a thought.

-Brian

Re: Getting rid of negative FS posts from non-involved users...

Rudeness is what this forum is all about !

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Rudeness is what this forum is all about !
    Used to be anyway...
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I really think it depends on the poster's intent. If he's just trying to give a heads up to other members and the price is WAY off base... I dunno.

If the price is way off base, then it won't sell. That's why the buyer should make a decent investigation into the going rates of what they are buying before they buy. Worse come to worse, take it to PM.

While I agree you have a point some people are just very gullible. This makes them vulnerable to being cheated which isn't right either. Ehh... I'm on the fence about it.

I've noticed that a lot of the times when you see for sale posts that look out of line is that they are from Great Britian. I guess everyhing is about twice as high there.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Octogenarian

When I set out to purchase an item at the supermarket or pharmacy, and I feel that it is priced unreasonably high, I merely pass it up and look elsewhere.

A seller has the right to ask any price for an item that he/she desires.

A buyer has the right to either negotiate for a lower price or pass up the purchase.

Unless you are seriously interested in buying the item, you have no right to tell a seller what price he/she should be asking for his/her item.

I say leave it as it is.

Any comments keep the FS thread bumped up to the top, sometimes provides good info to know, and the whole point is that these sales, etc are on a forum and what is happening is just what happens on forums. It is not rudeness...it is simple communication. To assume rudeness, would be to assume some sort of ownership of a thread started by someone -- and that is not how this forum seems to work. One starts any thread in any area of the forum, and the thread takes on its own life. Some of the best info I have gotten on the forum has come as a result of a "hijacked" thread.

I would say that comments by people who have no intention of buying, selling , or trading have actually helped the person selling far far far more than they have kept something from selling. Sometimes the information presented by third parties convinces someone to buy -- because they were originally unsure of the use, purpose, differences, and/or variations of the thing being sold.

People do not lose sight of the intent of the original post. After all, they are clicking on a post that starts with FS, etc. People have chimed in when the asking price is too low.

So...my opinion -- posts by third parties to far far more good than harm, and it would be a waste of the moderators' time to get involved with such matters.

Vaughn

I too feel it is rude. It interjects uncertainty and doubt on the basis of one person's opinion. If you want to helpfully inform the seller, you can send him/her a PM or email.

An exception might be if there is a misrepresentation, such as "$x when new" or "$x at KEH" if factually incorrect. Or if the accompanying photo indicates a missing part or defect.

Whether a moderator needs to be involved I don't know. But a bit of self-policing might be in order.