Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Street Studios-Sandy King, Sam Wang and Zhong Jianming

Gold Street Studios-Sandy King, Sam Wang and Zhong Jianming

I will be part of a three-person exhibition at Gold Street Studios in Australia beginning soon. Gold Street is located in Trentham East, Victoria.

http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/...d=%5BUNIQID%5D

The exhibition is entitled Connections and opens September 20th and continues to November 19th 2017

This is about connecting at many levels – photography, countries, sharing, teaching and the pure pleasure of the craft. Making photographic connections between China and USA to create this special exhibition available to Australians. This is a blend of carbon prints for Sandy King – including three colour carbons and cyanotype over palladium by Sam Wang and hand crafted carbon prints by Zhong Jianming.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Gold Street Studios-Sandy King, Sam Wang and Zhong Jianming

That's great news. For once I'm lucky enough to live handy to a significant photography exhibition. Ellie Young, the gallery owner, always has interesting work on display. Most recently an exhibition of Dr Mike Ware's alternative processes, which was really something! I'm keen to see your work in particular, Sandy. I've seen so much of it via the web as I've read your many articles, and I'm sure it'll be so much better seen in person. Thank you for considering us here down under, and good luck with the show.

Dave Karp

Congratulations Sandy!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    That's great news. For once I'm lucky enough to live handy to a significant photography exhibition. Ellie Young, the gallery owner, always has interesting work on display. Most recently an exhibition of Dr Mike Ware's alternative processes, which was really something! I'm keen to see your work in particular, Sandy. I've seen so much of it via the web as I've read your many articles, and I'm sure it'll be so much better seen in person. Thank you for considering us here down under, and good luck with the show.
    +1.

Any chance you'll be down, Sandy?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Excellent !

This is great news ! a very interesting exhibition...

I think "Connections" title is a very good one for this exhibition, it would be very interesting to compare the aesthetical links from the crafting, while each author has it's own artistic drive.

IMHO it has the potential to be a travelling exhibition, I feel that alternative processes will have a growing interest in the near future, and quality works are scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    +1.

Any chance you'll be down, Sandy?
    Not this time. But I have never been to Australia and we may do something with Gold Street another time. If so I will plan to try to arrange to travel.

Sandy.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Ray Van Nes

Congratulations on your new exhibition!
    Ray

Looking forward to seeing this exhibition in the flesh, the teaser looks irresistible.

Mick.

Well I visited the gallery last Saturday in my perambulations, Ellie Young was obviously busy running a workshop as she spied me on the doorstep and poked her head out asking if I was after anything. I noted that she had a dripping 4x5" wet plate in her hand, obviously the consummate person who doesn't have enough time to do things, but somehow manages to do a squillion things.

Anyway, that aside, I had the gallery lights switched on and the run of the gallery as Elle popped in and out. Very interesting indeed.

The signature three colour carbon print by Sandy King was very nice, but I thought his other B&W stuff was more powerful, especially one of the tree pictures; immense detail.

The Cyanotypes from Sam Wang were unexpectedly large, I am more used to 4x5", 5x7" and 8x10" depictions, but some of these were obviously larger, presumably due to a hybrid process, although I could be wrong there. Some of these were very appealing and I was able to leaf through a book of Sam Wang's stuff that was there to be looked at. Certainly gave a greater than normal over view of his work.

Jianming, (not sure if that is a first name or last name) had some very interesting work. I was particularly taken with the fishing boat scene, which appears to be a very wide angle shot. It was super delicate with incredible detail. Other works from Jianming were just as good, but the boat one was the pick for me.

If others have a chance, then this exhibition, though small, is certainly worth a side trip for a look see.

As a bonus you will no doubt get to interact with Ellie Young, she is a wonderfully infectious and passionate person with regard to photography. You may even think about picking up some Bergger Pancro 400 B&W film. I think it is the only place in Australia you can purchase it from.

Mick.