Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New55 Project?

Re: New55 Project?

Yeah, T55 is selling on ebay for $200 a box and I've seen some go for even more. I'm telling you, they can't get a replacement on the market fast enough. I think the demand will be there, but it must be affordable. I just found out about a camera/ printer that Polaroid is selling. I must admit, this thing is cool. It takes little packets of printing paper that are easily loaded. You take the picture, hit a button, and a little digital print rolls out. Sooner or later they are going to make something like that to fit into the back of a 4x5 camera.So, Impossible better hurry up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    I have been reading as much as I can on the 55 Project. They are talking about a six dollar a sheet price. At a hundred twenty a box it is not going to be cheap. Hopefully, they can get that number down a bit.
    If you figure B&W sheet film is about $1/sheet, plus if you send it out for developing, that's $3-6/sheet, plus a contact print is probably going to run you at least $10 for 4 negatives on one sheet, then it's not so expensive. Sure, you can do all that yourself and save money, but part of the value of Type 55 was not having to develop it yourself, and if you get a useful print from the New 55, then comparing it to sending your film out seems fair.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Drew, you make a valid point. I can't wait to get my hands on my first box.

I’m hoping the T55 will come out soon. I’ve been using the Fuji FP-100 and 3000 pack. Do not like the Fuji packs. They are to hard to put in the camera and the exposure latitude seems to be not (to me) as good as Polaroid’s .

Hey Milton, you won't have to worry about the Fuji stuff much longer. The 4x5 instant film will not be available anymore. The New 55 film will be one step better than the Polaroid T55 since the negative and print will require the same exposure. And from the sample prints I have seen, the New 55 is going to be a very nice film.

If people are willing to drop $200/box on expired Polaroid T55, I don't see why new 55's $6 a sheet is so heinous, especially since it costs about $5 a sheet PLUS A WEEK to send real B&W film off to be developed. That, and the New55 has similar or better exposure characteristics, a closer match between the exposure of the negative and the print, and less waste to boot.

I mean, really...You're going to complain about the price of New55 when the old stuff is selling for $10 a sheet and more? I'm poor, and even at $6 a sheet, I'm going to buy up New55 like it's cool.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I mean, really...You're going to complain about the price of New55 when the old stuff is selling for $10 a sheet and more? I'm poor, and even at $6 a sheet, I'm going to buy up New55 like it's cool.
    Well... think about how any Polaroid product was used - lots of experimentation to "dial it in" and costly waste. Complicate that with the fact that the "newT-55" is just a notion at this point and nobody knows how good the product really will be. I certainly won't criticise anyone who is eagerly awaiting, or will spend whatever it costs to try the new product... but I'd rather stick with something reliable until the new product is proven -- and that does NOT include the old T-55.

I hate to sound like a heretic but T-55 was convenient and interesting to use, but better reliability and quality -- by using conventional B&W materials/processes -- has always been available.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I hate to sound like a heretic but T-55 was convenient and interesting to use, but better reliability and quality -- by using conventional B&W materials/processes -- has always been available.
    What did you find better for "instant" film and print images than using Polaroid materials?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What did you find better for "instant" film and print images than using Polaroid materials?
    Maybe I wasn't clear. As much as I liked many of the Polaroid products I found conventional B&W to be better that T-55.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    For me and for a lot of people, Type 55 is something sorely-missed and something many of us would gladly pay for if available again. I liked it because it was unique and have yet to find anything that gives me the same look. Conventional materials are great, of course, but not the same. All the hammers in the world won't help if what you really want is a wrench.