Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moonrise Hernandez 2007

Moonrise Hernandez 2007

Set up the Nikon D3 in roughly the same place St. Ansel did. The D3 has more resolution than his 8X10 but you can throttle that back later. You can't see the crosses or the church very well anymore because everything is different. No prob. Take the picture mid day or whenever is convenient for you. Now the hard work begins. In PS10 remove all the other crap in the way that wasn't there in 1941. Add crosses or whatever. Light them up. Darken the sky and add some floating clouds. Go get a moon from some night shot. Put it in. Fiddle with every pixel until it's BETTER than Ansel's. Print 18,000 of them on the newest greatest offset printer and wait for fame to hit.

Silly Ansel. Running to get his tripod and camera set and breathlessly getting that one exposure while the crosses were lit and then worrying half to death about whether the film in the can was any good, then messing around with the thin neg trying to bring some of the values up, then beating his brains out printing it 1500 times.

Re: Moonrise Hernandez 2007

Hilarious.

I drove by the spot about 100 times before I realized it.

Seems like it would be a lot easier just to make a photograph of Ansel's photograph rather than bothering to go to the site, etc. I have a poster of "Moonrise" if you'd like to borrow it. And photographing other photographers' work is a big deal in fine art circles, look at all the attention Sherry Levine has received.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A favorite place of mine, even as it is. A kind of pilgrimage point. I have taken dozens of fellow photographers, collectors, historians, curators etc. by that spot. It should be purchased and restored and set aside as a national historical site. I'm actually serious. I helped with an effort many years ago to keep that church from being torn down, personally with the hope that some day the whole site might be preserved. That church is no longer used by the Archdiocese, but many of the older locals still meet there and have a prayer session on the front steps on Sunday mornings (at least they did 10 years ago). I photographed that church extensively as part of my NEA grant. That was where I was when I was attacked by the pit bulls that I have refered to many times in this forum while underneath my dark cloth, but I was closer up than AA at the fence of the cemetery. I have never come up with an image there that was much more than documentaion..
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Set up the Nikon D3 in roughly the same place St. Ansel did. The D3 has more resolution than his 8X10 but you can throttle that back later. You can't see the crosses or the church very well anymore because everything is different. No prob. Take the picture mid day or whenever is convenient for you. Now the hard work begins. In PS10 remove all the other crap in the way that wasn't there in 1941. Add crosses or whatever. Light them up. Darken the sky and add some floating clouds. Go get a moon from some night shot. Put it in. Fiddle with every pixel until it's BETTER than Ansel's. Print 18,000 of them on the newest greatest offset printer and wait for fame to hit.

Silly Ansel. Running to get his tripod and camera set and breathlessly getting that one exposure while the crosses were lit and then worrying half to death about whether the film in the can was any good, then messing around with the thin neg trying to bring some of the values up, then beating his brains out printing it 1500 times.
    LOL....

I'd rather photograph the Flatiron building at night with a D3, and save the western landscape for a Canon 1Ds mk III.

Now where did I put those Steichen tripod holes?

Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

YOu guys have it easy, I only have a sony cybershot and don't know anybody who has a sheep herding dog...

I eagerly await new concepts and processes. I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.

Well, if you want to do it the hard way, I can point you the roadside park that Ansel shot the Snake River and Tetons from (Not far from Jellystone). Not much has changed so you can just plant your tripod in his tripod holes and you can shoot film to your heart's content.
    Must be a couple hundred folks a day that stop by there just like old purist A.A.

Marko, Who said that?