Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

Re: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

Looks like I have a potential client already! So much for the naysayers.

This is merely a crazy idea that came to me after a recent NEWS report about AirBnB's new business approach to have their "sellers/agents" (I don't know what they call them) to offer "themed" facilities, such as hiking, hunting, golfing, bird-watching, river-running, theater, mountain-biking, etc. "services". These are just various amenities that the "seller" could offer such as maps & guide books, guided hikes, backpacks, tents, gold-panning gear, etc. to better match up the "buyer & seller". The list is endless and up to the home owner.

For me, it has not gone passed a thought, an idea. I have no details about when this would ever happen -- other than "no time soon!". But I've looked on Craigslist -- NOT AirBnB -- for "RENTALS of rooms in houses", and depending on the location, facilities, etc., etc. single rooms are going for $500-$1500 a month. That's just for a room -- nothing else. I could always rent-out or include photo gear in just about any film format, in any way I wanted -- from included to an extra fee. FYI, the MEDIAN rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the Denver Metro area is $2,000 per month.

What someone would pay for a day, a week-end, or a week, I have no idea. But I think there are limitless possibilities -- even if you DON'T live in Colorado. There are people all over the country that are realizing that they have an extra bedroom (or two) that are just sitting there -- gathering dust, instead of cash. That thought was what created AirBnB in the first place -- and it has, and is, EXPLODING!!!

True, you do need to decide for yourself how much time and energy you want to spend -- in addition to your need for privacy. For many people, the thought of a stranger(s) staying in the same house -- even for a weekend -- is unthinkable, but for others it would be a lot of fun. Of course many AirBnB-ers don't live where they rent -- but that can create its own issues/problems.
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Oct-2017 at 10:08.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Renting a room is easy. A lot of people do it. My neighbor always has her "mother-in-law suite" rented to a stranger. It is bedroom and bath with separate entrance. Oh, and a laundry closet that has been converted to house a small fridge and microwave. Occasionally they've had problems that made them stop renting for a while. I assume the money is good enough to make it worthwhile to them. I don't know how she gets clients but all she seems to offer is a room in exchange for money. Nothing else.

Offering a large format photography workshop might be another thing altogether. But even if minimal it might be enough to attract a photographer.

But offering a spare room in my house would be out of the question, just like staying at a spare room in someone else's house... unless it is like has a separate entrance or is a "back cottage". I outgrew sofas and guest rooms years ago. But that's just me.

Have been looking into Airbnb for a long term stay. First, you can rent anything from an entire house to a shared room. Lots of "entire" spaces for rent.

From what I can tell, they take 3% from the person listing the space plus 6-12% (over the rental cost) from the person renting the space.

Hard to imagine much liability for what the renter does unless you facilitate or fail to report illegal behavior.

Making your darkroom available to renters would be an advantage to a very small slice of the public and probably only if near a very compelling location for film photography.

It's also necessary to check with local codes for restrictions. For example, some places require you to register or have a license, etc. I doubt if AirBnB keeps track of that some of thing -- which can change over time.

The only bad outcomes I've heard about were where the owners rented out entire houses and found them trashed, etc.

I have had several guests request to stay with me because I was interested in photography or had a drkroom. Only two in 2 years actually used the darkroom. This was through other venues, but it is something traveling photographers look for. there was even a darkroom map being compiled at one point to help link photographers together to share resources when traveling or to make connections and collaborate.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Many more municipalities are taxing or regulating.

On safety: http://www.startribune.com/man-renti...old/448032293/

I went to their site last night to see if you could search for terms like darkroom but could not find a way.

I just took a look at the AirBnB website, and they have a tab labeled "EXPERIENCES", where you can choose topics or areas of interest, from Art Museums to Zoos. There are a ton of homeowners who target a ton of different "EXPERIENCES" -- no matter how small the "niche". It's a big world. I didn't see a way to search for a particular "EXPERIENCE", however. It might be there, but something keeps freezing the website on my computer.

I have visitors and clients come all the time to my shop, I am considering in my next move 2019 to build a visitors room that I can rent out while they are in town and to put it on AirBnB for all other times.. I like the idea of it being separate and my wife would kill me if we put this room within our living quarters...

Something quite frugal, but livable, I think this is a great idea.Stand up Shower, decent quality bed and a small hot plate coffee station with sitting area... (something I would like when the wife kicks me out)

I am more comfortable when I travel to stay in hotels rather than other peoples homes, no matter the savings it just feels better to me.

(Shrek)

I think it's a wonderful idea (for extroverts). I've avoided renting them to date in favor of cottages, because I'm not an extrovert and really don't want to meet people when I travel. And I'm not renting out my 2 spare rooms because I don't like people coming into my swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I'm not renting out my 2 spare rooms because I don't like people coming into my swamp.
    This is one of my biggest obstacles as well, but I look at it as just one more incentive to get my butt in gear!!!

Ya' know -- turn a frown upside down, sort of thing.