Thread: 4x5 Film in San Francisco??

4x5 Film in San Francisco??

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can help??

I'm flying into San Francisco from the UK on Wednesday and driving cross country to New York and I need to pick up film for the journey. I am after about 20 boxes of Kodak 160/400 Portra. Can anyone suggest a good place in the Bay area to get 4x5 film? I am also hoping to buy some Fuji FP-100C Professional Instant Color Film (4x5 Glossy). Any tips?!

Many thanks,
    Brendan

Re: 4x5 Film in San Francisco??

Just Film!

Note: The web site is very slow, and I don't think it reflects his true inventory. Call them Pronto to make sure they have what you need when you get there.

Just Film

130 Russ St
    (between Howard St & Folsom St)
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    Neighbourhood: SOMA
    (415) 864-0665
    http://www.justfilmsf.com

Gasser, Calumet, Bear Images, Keeble & Schuchat, Cameras West and, if you don't mind a drive, Jeramiah's in Santa Rosa are some of the places.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... just a suggestion, but you might want to spend some time on the phone and call these guys to see who can support your needs. You may need to pre-order/pre-buy.

I'd avoid I-80 in from wyoming eastward, head south to I-70 for better scenery.

Glass key, definitely call and see what Matt has in stock. http://www.glasskeyphoto.com/

Also I was in Gassers about three weeks ago and bought a box of Tri-X, they also had Tmax 100 and 400 in stock. I'm pretty sure they had Ilford in stock too.

Roger

Scott Davis

Probably your best bet is to pre-order via Calumet's website or calling them on the phone and arrange for an in-store pick-up. I don't think most of the other options mentioned will be able to sell you that many boxes at a time. But as previously mentioned, call everyone ahead of time to find out what they have in stock and how quickly they can get it. Gasser's is a pale shadow of what it once was - used to be a magnificent camera store, now, aside from the funky layout and the dust in the corners, it could be any mall camera store. Keeble & Shuchat, down in Palo Alto, might also be big enough to have that much Portra 160 in stock. If nothing else, it's a fun (and relatively short) drive from San Francisco, and some GORGEOUS scenery on the return trip, if you take Sand Hill Road west over to 84 (Woodside Road), which then winds its way up over the mountain and through the redwood forests back down to California Route 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. 84 will bring you out at San Gregorio. Take 1 North through Half Moon Bay all the way back in to the city. South of Half Moon Bay you can take a right turn on to Verde Road which very quickly turns into Purisima Creek Road. This will take you back to the Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve, an amazing canyon full of old-growth redwoods and a sparkling stream (there are supposed to be waterfalls along the stream, but I never made it that far). There's a level, well-maintained trail that parallels the stream and climbs up into the mountains through the canyon, providing several miles of hiking. You could easily burn through a couple boxes of your Portra there alone. And you'll get to see banana slugs! They're bright yellow and can get quite large (6" plus in length, maybe 1" or more in diameter).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Glass key, definitely call and see what Matt has in stock. http://www.glasskeyphoto.com/

Also I was in Gassers about three weeks ago and bought a box of Tri-X, they also had Tmax 100 and 400 in stock. I'm pretty sure they had Ilford in stock too.

Roger
    Guess I really need to read threads more carefully, as I now see you are looking for Portra and Fuji FP-100C.

Roger

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Probably your best bet is to pre-order via Calumet's website or calling them on the phone and arrange for an in-store pick-up. I don't think most of the other options mentioned will be able to sell you that many boxes at a time. But as previously mentioned, call everyone ahead of time to find out what they have in stock and how quickly they can get it. Gasser's is a pale shadow of what it once was - used to be a magnificent camera store, now, aside from the funky layout and the dust in the corners, it could be any mall camera store. Keeble & Shuchat, down in Palo Alto, might also be big enough to have that much Portra 160 in stock. If nothing else, it's a fun (and relatively short) drive from San Francisco, and some GORGEOUS scenery on the return trip, if you take Sand Hill Road west over to 84 (Woodside Road), which then winds its way up over the mountain and through the redwood forests back down to California Route 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. 84 will bring you out at San Gregorio. Take 1 North through Half Moon Bay all the way back in to the city. South of Half Moon Bay you can take a right turn on to Verde Road which very quickly turns into Purisima Creek Road. This will take you back to the Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve, an amazing canyon full of old-growth redwoods and a sparkling stream (there are supposed to be waterfalls along the stream, but I never made it that far). There's a level, well-maintained trail that parallels the stream and climbs up into the mountains through the canyon, providing several miles of hiking. You could easily burn through a couple boxes of your Portra there alone. And you'll get to see banana slugs! They're bright yellow and can get quite large (6" plus in length, maybe 1" or more in diameter).
    That's part of my old cycling route for good weather days. I'd start in Woodside and make a giant figure eight down to the coast and back stopping at the store in San Gregoria (the half way point) where I'd have an ice cream and soda before heading back. Eighty mile round trip. Once me a nd this other guy were struggling to reach the top of a hill when a deer, being chased by a bobcat, jumped clear across the road over our heads! The bobcat didn't follow.

Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve is one of my favorite hiking spots in the coastal range. Unfortunately there are only a few old growth redwood trees remaining and they are way in - about a 15 mile RT hike from the road.

I 2d ordering film from Calumet and picking it up at the San Francisco store. If they have it in stock an other stores or in Chicago they will ship what you need to San Francisco. Takes about a week.

Thomas