Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD in slosher

Re: Pyrocat HD in slosher

Yes, remember I have been doing sheet film since like 1976. There isn't much I haven't tried. First i did shuffle>hangers>Combi Plan>shuffle>BTZS>slosher>now back to BTZS until further testing with homemade slosher. I learned to dev. sheet film shuffle method then tried others and went back to it for ages and did it up to when I started scanning. Scanning however showed the weakness in the method-fine scratches. Still looking for the ultimate method.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ...Still looking for the ultimate method.
    I use Jobo Expert drums on a Jobo processor, which, while the "ultimate" for me, might not be yours. I've processed test sheets never loaded in a film holder to prove that any occasional minute base scratches weren't from the drums. Hypothesis confirmed -- they had to have been picked up when rubbing along lightly striated holder septums.

For a system that's absolutely free of contact with negatives' image areas (emulsion and base sides), this might be what you want:

Looks good but from what I can see of it I don't have the room for it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I am not convinced Pyrocat is all that great. I drank the cool aid for seven years but there were many anomalies along the way. Frustrated, I switched to Rodinal (1+50) in a Jobo 3010 and I have not had a single problem in the last year. My point to this Kirk is you may want to take a look at Pyrocat as a contributing factor to your problems.

You also may want to look into getting a Jobo although as you probably already know they are not cheap. I run mine on a Beseler motor base on which I rewired one of the switches to make it change direction. This works great and has a small footprint.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

+1 on the Jobo 3010.

Up until a year ago I processed all 4x5 B&W in Jobo tanks using the hand inversion method. But after switching to the 3010 I haven't looked back. Perfect results every time. Same results using the 2830 drum for 8x10 with the only drawback being that you can only process 2sheets at a time. But that is not a real problem at the moment because I take the 8x10 only for specific images and will shoot 2 negatives for each shot if I'm contemplating an alternative print and a silver. Of course that means 2 different processing runs but that wouldn't be aleviated by purchasing a 3005 drum (5 sheets) unless my production increased

I once considered the slosher but ruled it out because it took too much chemistry.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    I am not convinced Pyrocat is all that great. I drank the cool aid for seven years but there were many anomalies along the way. Frustrated, I switched to Rodinal (1+50) in a Jobo 3010 and I have not had a single problem in the last year. My point to this Kirk is you may want to take a look at Pyrocat as a contributing factor to your problems.

You also may want to look into getting a Jobo although as you probably already know they are not cheap. I run mine on a Beseler motor base on which I rewired one of the switches to make it change direction. This works great and has a small footprint.
    Thanks but I have 0 problems with PCHD in BTZS tubes (except the occasional scratching which I also had same with Tmax and Tmax RS dev.) I also ran a test with Xtol in the slosher with the same uneven issues so it is not the PCHD-its either the PF slosher design or my technique. Never really been interested in Jobo don't know why. Used to use Rodinal back in the 60's-not what I'm looking for anymore.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

The open tray processing techniques will produce scratchless (if only LINTLESS – a different issue), well developed negatives, if the holding basket is thoughtfully designed. This slosher thing comes up occasionally both here and on APUG. A search should result in many intersting designs. 99¢ store rubberized and plastic self–modified dish racks have been used to make sloshers. IMO, the PF version is the worst design of the category, and you would be better off making your own.

I've also had inconsistent results with PCHD, and no longer use it.

Yes the PF slosher is permanently retired. It was a gift from Gordon Hutchins so I guess I should hang on to it. I was a shuffler for twenty years until I scanned my film and saw how many scratches I was producing. When I get back from Chicago I will work on a homemade slosher.

FWIW, through some 500 sheets so far, I have found PCHD in Glycol from PF to be extremely consistent-used one shot in BTZS tubes, a very forgiving developer that produces the best negatives for scanning that I personally have ever done.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I just dropped in to this form tonight as I saw the thread on Pyrocat & sloshers. I have just very recently started using Pyrocat & have not reached an opinion on it. However I have been using sloshers for about 20 years & I make them for John Sexton & his students.

I would like to describe my agitation technique as it works well for me. I load the film into the slosher & thenI presoak the film for 3 minutes. I move to the developer and using my thumb & fingers I "vibrate" the sloshers for 30 sec. After 30 sec I raise on end of the tray then the other taking about 5 sec. After another 30 sec I again "vibrate' the slosher for 5 sec. After another 30 sec I raise one corner of the slosher & then the opposite corner Another 30 sec then vibrate, another 30 & lift the corners you didn't last time. Then repeat. I do not lift the slosher out of the tray for the agitations.

You now have used "Vibrate", Lift ends "vibrate" Lift corners "vibrate" lift other corners & repeat. This will create 4 different wave patterns that have a randomness to them.

Many problems occur when we repeat the same agitation method for all our agitations. The use of film hangers with holes can be an example of over agitation, causing streaks by the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Yes the PF slosher is permanently retired. It was a gift from Gordon Hutchins so I guess I should hang on to it. I was a shuffler for twenty years until I scanned my film and saw how many scratches I was producing. When I get back from Chicago I will work on a homemade slosher.

FWIW, through some 500 sheets so far, I have found PCHD in Glycol from PF to be extremely consistent-used one shot in BTZS tubes, a very forgiving developer that produces the best negatives for scanning that I personally have ever done.
    Kirk,

Considering that you have gotten such good results with one-shot developer in BTZS tubes why are you considering switching to a slosher type system?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon