Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

First time poster here. This forum's info has been helpful in the info gathering process that led me to order this Sinar Norma from ebay: http://r.ebay.com/dkWVNe

I'm completely new to large format so I'm excited to get started. My question for you all is what inspection process should I go through when the camera arrives? The seller has a 30-day return policy so I want to make sure everything is in reasonable shape before that time period is up. What should I realistically expect from an old camera such as this one?

I will primarily be shooting landscapes with the occasional portraits. I'm coming over from the MF world where my weapon of choice is the Pentax 67.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Welcome to the forum. The new rig looks like a great start in LF. Do you have a darkroom?

I would make sure everything tightens down and loosens up as it should. Check the camera for light leaks with a small flashlight in a dark place. Test the shutter at all speeds especially around one second. If it sounds slow at 1 sec it may need to get CLA or a new spring.

Then I'd use it. If you need any empty boxes for transporting / storing exposed film....shoot me a PM and I will mail them to you.

Thanks for the welcome and the offer to send boxes. What sort of boxes do you mean? Like regular cardboard boxes? Something else?

I don't have a darkroom.

I'll do the light leak and shutter check for sure.

Pete Oakley

Check the bellows for light leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Oakley View Post
    Check the bellows for light leaks.
    Will do! Thanks.

Congratulations! Let's see some images!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice clean rig. If the shutter needs service I'd recommend sending it to Flutot's in S. Cal; Carol is very good and a pleasure to deal with. Although she sometimes has a backlog of work and may have longer turnaround times. IIRC she has noted on her website that parts for Compur shutters are becoming hard to find, but if it only needs cleaning there should be no problem.

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

The camera appears to have a non-Sinar fresnel, rather than the easily detachable 4x5 Sinar version (which is a plastic one and is easily scratched by a loupe). So it may be a glass version as a replacement, but you should check it with a loupe to make sure its focal length performs properly with your lens.

Often the bubble levels run dry, and replacements can be a challenge; but a search of this forum will turn up methods to repair/refill yourself. Although, all my Sinar Normas, bought new in the '70s, still have full levels. MOST Sinar parts are interchangeable with other models. Here's one of their useful websites:
    http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Sin...em_katalog.pdf

Enjoy your camera,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice clean rig. If the shutter needs service I'd recommend sending it to Flutot's in S. Cal; Carol is very good and a pleasure to deal with. Although she sometimes has a backlog of work and may have longer turnaround times. IIRC she has noted on her website that parts for Compur shutters are becoming hard to find, but if it only needs cleaning there should be no problem.

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

The camera appears to have a non-Sinar fresnel, rather than the easily detachable 4x5 Sinar version (which is a plastic one and is easily scratched by a loupe). So it may be a glass version as a replacement, but you should check it with a loupe to make sure its focal length performs properly with your lens.

Often the bubble levels run dry, and replacements can be a challenge; but a search of this forum will turn up methods to repair/refill yourself. Although, all my Sinar Normas, bought new in the '70s, still have full levels. MOST Sinar parts are interchangeable with other models. Here's one of their useful websites:
    http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Sin...em_katalog.pdf

Enjoy your camera,
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    The Beattie Intensiscreen was plastic, there are no glass fresnel screens for view cameras. Both the Beattie and the Linhof Super Screen were made by Fresnel Optics, who owned Beattie, in Rochester, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Jerry,
    The Beattie Intensiscreen was plastic, there are no glass fresnel screens for view cameras. Both the Beattie and the Linhof Super Screen were made by Fresnel Optics, who owned Beattie, in Rochester, NY.
    Thanks, Bob. That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    ...rather than the easily detachable 4x5 Sinar version
    When you say easily detachable, are you suggesting the replacement screen may not be detachable? Is there a reason why I would want a detachable screen?

Thanks for the info regarding shutter servicing. I will definitely keep that in mind should it be necessary.