Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your work to decorators?

Re: Would you sell your work to decorators?

Those that do deal with decorators how have you approached them?

I just visited them with some 20 hi res fine art prints on Artist Matte Canvas 13" x 19" (A3+) packed into my presentation box (no reflections, very important). Then asked them if they would be interested in unique decos and showed them the images.

When they showed interest I offered these prints and also larger formats up to 2x3 meters for office, lobby or hall/room decoration, identical quality, hi res. Plus individual images, custom made to the specs and wishes of his clients. You will be amazed how many clients want something related to their town or region in their offices...

Some said 'wow', many didn't know what I meant or had more interest in selling their prefabricated garbage from China (weird situation in Spain).

My personal experience: if they don't invite you into their office but leave you in the show room, forget them - they will be an endless hassle to deal with. They will treat you like an undesirable rep from a parts manufacturer.

Pick only those who show interest and are fascinated themselves, and spend more time with them. In most cases they have very good connections. Once I had a decorator who picked up the phone and asked his client if he had time to talk with someone who delivers solutions. That was one of the best deals with a decorator I've ever made.

BTW, I never agree on commission deals. If they want it, cash into my hands, if not, sorry, good bye.

By no reflections do you mean from the print surface as in use a matte or lustre surfaced paper.

Yes, the print surface must be matte. Not like a matte or lustre paper - like canvas. AFAIK canvas is the only material that doesn't reflect anything (unless you have applied a protective spray). It literally pulls the viewer into the image because of the rich dark tones and the popping up colors. Just make sure you have some images with a lot of depth, that means a 3D effect.

The advantage of canvas is that you can show it anywhere, no matter how the lighting conditions are - you don't have to twist and turn the image to get rid of flares. OK, artist matte canvas is expensive, but IMHO it's worth the extra money in all aspects.

Jim Ewins

if someone appreciates it enough to pay for it why worry if it can or can't be called art. The owner can call it what ever he wants.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by David Spivak-Focus Magazine View Post
    Very simple question -- would you sell your art to someone so they could decorate their home or office with your work?

Should art be used as decoration?
    All things considered, perhaps a decorator should be the favored customer...

A "serious collector" is probably seeking a trinket for status or an investment for profit...

An "art critic" will likely read more into it than is there, or studiously see something else entirely than what it was...

A museum or archive will almost assuredly stash it away, seldom if ever to be seen again...

A "decorator" will show the work to many, and ultimately pass the work on to someone who simply displays and enjoys the work for what it is...

But most of our work by far will follow none of these paths... a more realistic query might be, "will you stick your friends and family with something they don't want, give it to the Salvation Army, or burn it?"
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

multiplex

pretty much what toyotadesigner said ...

they like to see BIG, and on canvas .. nothing behind glass.

But most of our work by far will follow none of these paths... a more realistic query might be, "will you stick your friends and family with something they don't want, give it to the Salvation Army, or burn it?"
    The answer is simple: wrong!

I shoot most images for clients. The rest will be sold one way or the other. 'Friends' can purchase it, but they want it for free - and you know there is nothing like a free lunch. Family? I don't have a family except my girlfriend. Of course we have decorated our home offices with large prints because we like them. Something like a private gallery to feed our pride. However, they'll be changed every 2 months.

Salvation army or burn it? No way. I don't burn a value. Never.

If it isn't good enough to be sold I don't scan or even print it.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

you are such a realist mark ...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    The answer is simple: wrong!

I shoot most images for clients...
    I think for a professional commercial photographer, for whom photography itself is primarily an act of commerce, questions like the one at hand don't apply. Not a criticism, just different approaches and concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you are such a realist mark ...
    And on behalf of reality, I apologize! (Reality seems to have a lot to apologize for...)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."