Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

Re: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

Have you thought about doing it this way?
    http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...stel-cop-digi/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Have you thought about doing it this way?
    http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...stel-cop-digi/
    I saw a write-up of someone using a RRS rail similar to this, which is what gave me the idea. It's not clear to me whether the Novoflex is selling everything you need (other than camera, lens and lighting).

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I saw a write-up of someone using a RRS rail similar to this, which is what gave me the idea. It's not clear to me whether the Novoflex is selling everything you need (other than camera, lens and lighting).
    The CASTELCOP DIGI slide copy attachment from Novoflex mounts directly into two holes on either some of the Novoflex focus rails (CATEL L; CASTEL Q or the CASTEL MINI) or into mounting holes on any of the current Novoflex bellows, including their fully automatic ones for SLR and DSLR cameras like Canon and Nikon.

So, if you use the CASTELCOP DIGI on one of Novoflex's focus rail above you would need a lens that goes to 1:1 and a good, constant light source like a Gepe Pro illuminator. If you use it on one of the Novoflex bellows then you just need a good lens, as the bellows will take you to 1:1, and a light source as above.

Up to a couple of years ago Novoflex also sold the lens for the bellows but except for lenses for the Novoflex tilt/shift bellows and the BALPRO 1 non tilt/shift they no longer do.

Bear in mind, the speed of capture this way is vastly faster then a scan. Each exposure could be 1/125 rather then minutes. The slow and repititious part of digitizing this way is inserting each slide at the proper spot. That is easily sped up by taping a couple of guides to the CASTELCOP DIGI so each mount is positioned at the same spot. Image quality is determined by lens quality and camera resolution.

Drawback to this method over scanning is that unlike a scanner loading is not automatic, the Braun 4000 scanner can accept up to 100 2x2 slides at a time and automatically scan them while you do something else, like sleep. Also, a DSLR does not have Digital ICE built-in like a Braun and other scanners do. So there may be more post processing by you when using a camera based system. On the other hand, post processing only has to be done when you print or select a slide for viewing so not all have to be done at once and perhaps none have to be done immediately.

I am considering everything you are all saying. I need to (i) see exactly how many slides and negs I have, (ii) estimate how long it would take to scan them with the Coolscan 5000. If the number of hours is just too long for my assistant to handle, then I may have to look into the DSLR approach which is quicker but (i) requires equipment that I don't have (inlcuding a proper lens, rail, soft-lighting; even my Nikon D700 is not ideal for this), (ii) does not allow for easy dust elimination (i.e. digital ICE), (iii) probably does not give the same color depth as the Coolscan 5000.

Maybe the compromise would be to get everything scanned in quickly with a DSLR, and then collate the winners digitally and if needed, scan with the Coolscan 5000.

Btw, thank you for pointing out the archival issue. What I have done is to create three copies of digital portfolio. Every couple of years I retire one hard drive and replace it with a new one. Periodically, I do a bit for bit comparison of two drives. Eventually, I will put another copy on blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The CASTELCOP DIGI slide copy attachment from Novoflex mounts directly into two holes on either some of the Novoflex focus rails (CATEL L; CASTEL Q or the CASTEL MINI) or into mounting holes on any of the current Novoflex bellows, including their fully automatic ones for SLR and DSLR cameras like Canon and Nikon.

So, if you use the CASTELCOP DIGI on one of Novoflex's focus rail above you would need a lens that goes to 1:1 and a good, constant light source like a Gepe Pro illuminator. If you use it on one of the Novoflex bellows then you just need a good lens, as the bellows will take you to 1:1, and a light source as above.

Up to a couple of years ago Novoflex also sold the lens for the bellows but except for lenses for the Novoflex tilt/shift bellows and the BALPRO 1 non tilt/shift they no longer do.
    For Americans spending dollars these days, Euro prices are really scary....but other than that it looks very nice. Would I be able to attach my Nikkor 135mm large format macro lens easily to this set-up? For lighting, a small Gepe Pro illuminator would do the trick?

Interesting thread, I use a canon 5d mk2 with pentax bellows and 100mm SMC bellows lens. I use the negative holders from my canon flat bed scanner and shoot horizontal with a white card set at 45 degrees behind the neg to disperse the daylight. focus is live view on my computer screen and color balance is tuned in software . this system is way better than any scanner i have used , it is a system i tried just by chance not expecting anything special, but it does a great job ,a constant light source would be an improvement.

You might want to check out the following threads:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=dslr+scanning
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=dslr+scan
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=dslr+scanning

What I like about the Dslr approach, in theory anyway, is that it's fairly easy to make hardware adjustments that optimize the image capture. With most consumer scanners, most of the hardware variables are fixed, e.g. light source brightness, f stop, exposure time..., and the adjustments mainly are software manipulations of the captured data. As a result, these scanner capture a huge range a values, with the actual image data taking up a small portion. With a Dslr, you can change lenses, f-stops, shutter speed, light source color and intensity, and you can use multiple exposures on really tricky negatives. The difficulties with the Dslr approach will be alignment and film flatness.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by voigtf64 View Post
    Interesting thread, I use a canon 5d mk2 with pentax bellows and 100mm SMC bellows lens. I use the negative holders from my canon flat bed scanner and shoot horizontal with a white card set at 45 degrees behind the neg to disperse the daylight. focus is live view on my computer screen and color balance is tuned in software . this system is way better than any scanner i have used , it is a system i tried just by chance not expecting anything special, but it does a great job ,a constant light source would be an improvement.
    That's awesome! I love making use of what one already has. How do you make sure it all lines up properly (don't you need some kind of a rail?). And can you describe your light set-up a bit more? How about using a Gepe Pro illuminator, which I think would be only around $50. Also check-out this article, which might have some tips to improve the workflow and exposure. http://www.dpbestflow.org/camera-scan-workflow

Much appreciated...that is just one thread though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Much appreciated...that is just one thread though!
    Sorry about that. I fixed the links in my original post.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know