Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue or Digital?

Drew Wiley

Re: Analogue or Digital?

I never can figure out why the English have such big a problem with English. Do you burn
    "logues" in fireplaces over there?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Correct. However, he's typing in American.
    It's Newspeak. Be wary of what you say and think. Big Brother is listening... watching.

I once complimented a nice lady in a bank in San Antonio, Texas regarding her English "accent". She blankly stared back at me silently. I realized my error and reversed my statement admitting that it's we Americans who accent the language. She replied, "Yes, it is Americans who change the English language but you don't accent it. You murder it."

"the effects of reciprocity on the exposure of film, can it properly be termed 'Analogue' at all" Reciprocity works for both analog and digital in that 1/100th second at f/11 gives the same exposure as 1/200th second at f/8. You may mean "reciprocity failure" which is when you expose outside the design parameters of the film and reciprocity does not work. Examples with film would be very short or very long exposures (1/10,000 sec, 10 seconds, etc.). Reciprocity failure for film sets in around 1 second or so. Digital reciprocity works much better into long exposures before failure sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    It's Newspeak. Be wary of what you say and think. Big Brother is listening... watching.

I once complimented a nice lady in a bank in San Antonio, Texas regarding her English "accent". Should stared back at me silently. I realized my error and reversed my statement admitting that it's we Americans who accent the language. She replied, "Yes, it is Americans who change the English language but you don't accent it. You murder it."
    In San Antonio? They speak English in San Antonio? I think I would have said "Pendeja!" and smiled broadly. Let's see how good her tex-mex Spanglish is.

But when I hear the British say such things, and if they are in the mood to spar on the topic, I ask them why their own speech doesn't sound much like Bunyan. Or Shakespeare. Or Chaucer. Or the Venerable Bede. Or Danish (the Angles--English--came from Denmark). Or Saxon. Or Celtic. Or Latin. Or Old Norse. Who's to say that the changes to the language that have occurred on that little island known as the UKoGBaNI in the last 300 years are any more genuine than those that have occurred in the former colonies over that period? People settled here from England starting about the time the King James Bible was first published, but the last time I was in London, what I heard there didn't sound much like what I read in the KJV.

I've heard it argued by philologists and linguists that the Appalachian accent in America may be closer to the English of the early colonial period than the English spoken elsewhere in either country today.

Rick "whose surname is an English transliteration--think 'claret' for an example of how badly that goes--of a French description of 'Danish'" Denney

joseph

Sorry, in deference to my first Photography tutor, who brought up the same topic over thirty years ago, I've always called it Reciprocity Effect. He made the point that Reciprocity Failure was too judgmental, that the film was doing what it was supposed to do, and that the failure resided in our expectations and tables.

Rick, based on your contributions to the DSLR scanning thread, I'd say you have over 90% of the equipment needed to produce high end digital results, as long as it's possible to represent the subject matter by using stitched frames. The same software you use to stitch the scans can be used to stitch originals; perhaps the only extra piece of kit you need is a pano head.

Each system has advantages and disadvantages, but if huge resolution is a driving force, then it's really quite attainable using any DSLR and a decent lens.

Many of my images need to be made in a single exposure. I am rarely happy with stitched panoramas. I can control the breeze and other subject movement with my scanning setup, but I still have not addressed the stitching artifacts problem with that system.

And then there's the desire I have to express my own skills, however obsolete they may become, for the mere satisfaction I derive from expressing them. A view camera provides image management tools that with most digital cameras (even such as the Pentax and Hasselblad) requires post-exposure software mainpulation of geometric relationships and shapes. Or it requires multiple images again (for focus stacking). The scanning project is a science project as much as anything, and not something I'd want to do when making photographs in the field. I'd need one of those high-end digital backs mounted on my view camera. And then I'd have to buy new lenses--I like short lenses.

Rick "who never wants to say, 'Hold still while my machine makes 16 exposures!'" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    In San Antonio? They speak English in San Antonio? I think I would have said "Pendeja!" and smiled broadly. Let's see how good her tex-mex Spanglish is.

But when I hear the British say such things, and if they are in the mood to spar on the topic, I ask them why their own speech doesn't sound much like Bunyan. Or Shakespeare. Or Chaucer. Or the Venerable Bede. Or Danish (the Angles--English--came from Denmark). Or Saxon. Or Celtic. Or Latin. Or Old Norse. Who's to say that the changes to the language that have occurred on that little island known as the UKoGBaNI in the last 300 years are any more genuine than those that have occurred in the former colonies over that period? People settled here from England starting about the time the King James Bible was first published, but the last time I was in London, what I heard there didn't sound much like what I read in the KJV.

I've heard it argued by philologists and linguists that the Appalachian accent in America may be closer to the English of the early colonial period than the English spoken elsewhere in either country today.

Rick "whose surname is an English transliteration--think 'claret' for an example of how badly that goes--of a French description of 'Danish'" Denney
    Be mindful of thine durstful language, sir, lest ye piss off a sharp-tongued Brit with fullsome wit and fearsome sword and thou shalt perish midst thine own misgivings and thine life's labours shall be for naught!!

We Texans speak Tex-Talk... a far more ree-fined lang-idge and we don't give no rattlesnake's ass what nobody else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I never can figure out why the English have such big a problem with English. Do you burn
    "logues" in fireplaces over there?
    No, they burn faggots.

Ha!!

I think you mean fags.

Or do you??

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    No, they burn faggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I never can figure out why the English have such big a problem with English.
    It's clearly not us who have a problem with it!!

Steve.