Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Re: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

I have checked that I was wrong, the intervals can be perfectly used in the app.

With this method, the timer can be used as an "advanced" film developer timer, but I see two issues; first, the total developing time is never displayed, nor the total remaining time, so you have to calculate it by checking the intervals.
    In the other side, the warning and final beeps are perfect to my taste, sharp and audible. I have noticed that when the iPhone screen is shut off, the interval end beeps are stil audible (I think the "warning" beeps aren`t, but I may be wrong).
    If you have to perform e.g., a 20 minutes process, with agitation every two minutes, the setting process can be a bit annoying. Well, it`s true that once all the processes has been set and saved, you can use them; not so elegant, but works.

I think the "normal" way of setting Intervallo is much better, easier and clear. The issue here is that the sound scheme is too limited. The "At Start" beeps can be used, but IMHO are just a whisper, hardly audible with a tap running water. The "Before the End" beeps are just perfect. The "Sound Every" beep is useless... too soft, inaudible for this darkroom task. The "Alarm Sound" is right, but not so... "conclusive?".

IMHO, just increase the "Sound Every" time period to minutes or even hours, with a more clear warning and alarm sound for the agitation process (four beeps like the "Before the End" ones and a distinctive finfth one), set them to work even with the iPhone screen shut off, add a distinctive final alarm sound, and that`s all. All other features can be used or not, but at least, the film developing task will be covered at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    If the timer is easy to setup, no problem. We can set the timer every time we put the film on the tank. But if the setting process is too complicated, it needs to be stored in the memory; this is my case, I`ll try to do it again.
    All timers you created are stored on List tab. You can start it immediately or just save it to the list and start when you need it.

Intervallo v1.2 has just been released. Now you can share you timer and send it to another iOS device via email.
    To add received timer by email just open the email on Mail app and click the link.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    IMHO, just increase the "Sound Every" time period to minutes or even hours, with a more clear warning and alarm sound for the agitation process (four beeps like the "Before the End" ones and a distinctive finfth one), set them to work even with the iPhone screen shut off, add a distinctive final alarm sound, and that`s all. All other features can be used or not, but at least, the film developing task will be covered at 100%.
    Thank you for the comment very much. I really appreciate it.
    Actually it is not an easy task to make sound works when display is off because of some limitations and restrictions assigned by Apple.
    I am working on this and I hope this feature will be added to upcoming updates.

Name: ______William Booth

Quote Originally Posted by mityaiko View Post
    Thank you for the comment very much. I really appreciate it.
    Actually it is not an easy task to make sound works when display is off because of some limitations and restrictions assigned by Apple.
    I am working on this and I hope this feature will be added to upcoming updates.
    I have spent some time developing apps for iPhone and although, granted, Apple does not make it incredibly easy, it certainly can be done without too much hassle. I understand there are differences between apps that continuously play music in the background and ones that sound events while running in the background, but it seems reasonably straightforward to me. Google? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-or-on-another

Has anyone tried Massive Dev Chart Timer app for iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Has anyone tried Massive Dev Chart Timer app for iPhone?
    I used it for several months but soon found it too limiting. Please bear in mind that what I am going to report is my experience from using it over a year ago, now.
    The Massive Dev Chart forces a certain sequence with predefined intervals which can only be truly used for B&W development, and one that follows a "by the book" strategy since it forces a sequence. Once I started experimenting with development by creating agitation patterns I got infuriatingly mad with the darn thing since I could not program different agitation intervals nor different durations for each agitation (I know, everyone has its quirks ). At first I could live with that - after all is just a question of remembering. But then I started also to use multiple stop baths and a specific wash procedure that required multiple water replacements rather than continuous wash. Now the program was completely and utterly useless. Besides, I never agreed with the times it proposed neither did I use the developers it so diligently provided. Started doing everything using a single clock and just being alert during the whole process. When I started fooling around with C-41 and RA-4 I needed a timer. I started looking for timers and found one that kind of suits my needs: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/labt...ign-mpt=uo%3D4. On the iphone it only has 4 timers, but are easily configurable. But, on the ipad, it has 4x4=16 timers. YES!!!! Now I could program any sequence that I wanted. It has served me nicely. There are several things I would like it to have, like being able to switch off the screen and block any unwanted screen popup, and the ability to save sequences of timers. While I don't do things by the book, I do like repeatability like anyone else . The best thing is that labtimer is really free, whereas Intervallo which states in the thread title as being free costs now 1.8€ (probably $2), and can be used on the iphone for long exposures in the field and on the ipad for all chemical endeavours. That luminous screen I really could do without...but then...they weren't thinking of guys like us when they wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    I used it for several months but soon found it too limiting. Please bear in mind that what I am going to report is my experience from using it over a year ago, now.
    The Massive Dev Chart forces a certain sequence with predefined intervals which can only be truly used for B&W development, and one that follows a "by the book" strategy since it forces a sequence. Once I started experimenting with development by creating agitation patterns I got infuriatingly mad with the darn thing since I could not program different agitation intervals nor different durations for each agitation (I know, everyone has its quirks ). At first I could live with that - after all is just a question of remembering. But then I started also to use multiple stop baths and a specific wash procedure that required multiple water replacements rather than continuous wash. Now the program was completely and utterly useless. Besides, I never agreed with the times it proposed neither did I use the developers it so diligently provided. Started doing everything using a single clock and just being alert during the whole process. When I started fooling around with C-41 and RA-4 I needed a timer. I started looking for timers and found one that kind of suits my needs: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/labt...ign-mpt=uo%3D4. On the iphone it only has 4 timers, but are easily configurable. But, on the ipad, it has 4x4=16 timers. YES!!!! Now I could program any sequence that I wanted. It has served me nicely. There are several things I would like it to have, like being able to switch off the screen and block any unwanted screen popup, and the ability to save sequences of timers. While I don't do things by the book, I do like repeatability like anyone else . The best thing is that labtimer is really free, whereas Intervallo which states in the thread title as being free costs now 1.8€ (probably $2), and can be used on the iphone for long exposures in the field and on the ipad for all chemical endeavours. That luminous screen I really could do without...but then...they weren't thinking of guys like us when they wrote it.
    You actually can change the agitation scheme in massive Dev chart. The settings for the app are not accessible in the app itself but in the iPhones setting app.

Another really nice feature that the massive Dev chart app has is the ability to put the phone into a green mode or red mode for darkroom safe use. I use the green mode together with turning the brightness of the screen all the way down. I put my phone in a stand and place it a few inches back on a shelf that is about 3 feet above my trays of chemistry. I have has no problems with the small amount of light it puts off in green mode with the screen dimmed effecting my film and it is nice to be able to watch the timer.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    You actually can change the agitation scheme in massive Dev chart. The settings for the app are not accessible in the app itself but in the iPhones setting app.
    Very much true, and that's what I did, but it still is a forced and limited sequence. You cannot include a pre-bath or divided pre-bath. You cannot divide the stop bath nor the final wash (the final 30s are for rinse aid). You can make a first agitation different from the others but from then on you must stick with the fixed interval agitation. For semi-stand routine I like to do a very short and vibration-like movement for bromide release in-between the main agitation schemes and, again, it does not allow me to do it. Sure, I can stop, continue and or restart but then it becomes a pain. I am not stating this as a reply, but as a warning to those considering using the app that you cannot do whatever you want in terms of timer sequences. I also find important for an app to be useful for all processes and not just B&W film development. For 8€, which is what massive dev chart is now costing, I would expect more versatility. The database, is very nice for starters but afterwards it becomes counterproductive...
    Another really nice feature that the massive Dev chart app has is the ability to put the phone into a green mode or red mode for darkroom safe use. I use the green mode together with turning the brightness of the screen all the way down. I put my phone in a stand and place it a few inches back on a shelf that is about 3 feet above my trays of chemistry. I have has no problems with the small amount of light it puts off in green mode with the screen dimmed effecting my film and it is nice to be able to watch the timer.
    Just out of curiosity what processes, or films, are insensitive to green? I used to use the red for ortho films, being careful as you stated to put the brightness in the minimum and with improvised barns to avoid direct light since the backlighting leds emit in all wavelengths, but for sheet development in open tank or tray I have forbidden myself to enter the darkroom with one of those devices. For more than once was I pestered with an email or G+ or whatever notification and not always did I remember to beforehand shut the notifications off. For RA-4 orange or amber would have been nice..but then the timer sequence while usable would have to have different labels.

Name: ______William Booth

I am considering developing an app like this myself. I am perpetually annoyed by the lack of a good interval timer for film development on the iPhone. I have created a windows application that creates an mp3 talking timer that I sync to my phone through iTunes. Works for me, but it would be nice to have something a little more versatile.

I put my phone into airplane mode and switch off the wi-fi so there is no chance of the screen turning on.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    Very much true, and that's what I did, but it still is a forced and limited sequence. You cannot include a pre-bath or divided pre-bath. You cannot divide the stop bath nor the final wash (the final 30s are for rinse aid). You can make a first agitation different from the others but from then on you must stick with the fixed interval agitation. For semi-stand routine I like to do a very short and vibration-like movement for bromide release in-between the main agitation schemes and, again, it does not allow me to do it. Sure, I can stop, continue and or restart but then it becomes a pain. I am not stating this as a reply, but as a warning to those considering using the app that you cannot do whatever you want in terms of timer sequences. I also find important for an app to be useful for all processes and not just B&W film development. For 8€, which is what massive dev chart is now costing, I would expect more versatility. The database, is very nice for starters but afterwards it becomes counterproductive...

Just out of curiosity what processes, or films, are insensitive to green? I used to use the red for ortho films, being careful as you stated to put the brightness in the minimum and with improvised barns to avoid direct light since the backlighting leds emit in all wavelengths, but for sheet development in open tank or tray I have forbidden myself to enter the darkroom with one of those devices. For more than once was I pestered with an email or G+ or whatever notification and not always did I remember to beforehand shut the notifications off. For RA-4 orange or amber would have been nice..but then the timer sequence while usable would have to have different labels.
    For a pre wash I just set the app to for a 2 part development and the first part I use for the prewash.

Not sure why you would need to split your stop bath as normal stop bath time is only 1 minute. It does not take long to stop development. You can split fixing time. I use that as it is safe to turn on the lights half way through your fixing. But you could use one of split fixing times as your split stop bath.

If you use moving water for your rinse there would be no need to split your rinse times.

The film types I have used when developing with the massive Dev app on green are Kodak TMax100 and Arista EDU 100. I chose green because I had read that a green light is used when developing by inspection.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams