Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this make sense ? (CREO EverSmart Pro)

Question Would this make sense ? (CREO EverSmart Pro)

Hello,

I am very tempted by the eBay auction (in Germany - 230226477528) on the CREO EverSmart Pro scanner (model from 1999). The guy says it is an SCSI model. May I just ask for the opinions of the high-end flatbed scanner gurus here around ?

The scanner is supposed to be as new (made only a few scans) with Mac computer and 1 month No-questions-asked return warranty... Tempted even more ...

P.S. I would kindly ask administrators not to delete this thread if possible, at least for next 24 hours. Thank you.
    Matus

Re: Would this make sense ? (CREO EverSmart Pro)

I know Ted and others are weary to buy originally expensive equipment from ebay, but IMO if you can pick up personally and get that kind of warranty it's just to good to pass. Moreover, you might be able get a flatbed scanner technician in Germany to check the machine while in "warranty". Don't forget to check the software is included and the mac has the scsi card and cable.

Antonio and Matus,

I'm only wary when there are no return options and you run the risk of spending significant money with the possibility of much more to come. In this case I would feel much ore comfortable, especially if I could pick up the scanner and no shipping was involved. If shipping is required then you are looking at another €150-300 for proper crating and shipping and, of course, that could be round trip if you need to return it.

I did note i the ad that you can go check out the scanner and if you have the time I'd do it. I didn't see that the computer is included in the sale, only that it is available to check out the scanner so that is another purchase if you don't already have one. Sandy King will have to chine i here as he has the same machine I believe, but you can't run this scanner on a newer Mac. It requires a G3 or maybe G4 and is only compliant up to certain firmware versions and needs to run on an OS o later than 9.2.x. Finally, make sure that not just all the software but all the accessories are included and that the scanning bed is unmarked.

As you can see, your €1000 purchase could be a very good buy but could also eventually cost you €2000 or 3000 if you aren't careful.

There is an option to see the scanner. There is a Mac "standing by" but as Tad pointed out - it is not (most porbably) a part of the auction.

No shipping is involved. The scanner is located less than 20km from my home.

Also - what kind of performance could one expect? I only know about the 3170 dpi resolution.

thanks
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    There is an option to see the scanner. There is a Mac "standing by" but as Tad pointed out - it is not (most porbably) a part of the auction.

No shipping is involved. The scanner is located less than 20km from my home.

Also - what kind of performance could one expect? I only know about the 3170 dpi resolution.

thanks

I have this same machine and am very impressed with its performance. It makes a vey sharp scan and the resolution of 3175 spi is more than enough for most applications. The scanner has a bed size of a full 12X17" and you get the full resolution anywhere on the bed and all over the bed because of a proprietary system of XY stitching unique to EverSmart and IQSmart scanners.

It is a large machine so you will need a sturdy table.

The EverSmart scanning software is very powerful but does not allow high bit saves so you need to make as many corrections as possible to the image in the pre-scan to take advantage of the 14 bit analogue to digital capture.

The EverSmart Pro has a SCSI connection and will work with a Mac G3 or G4. A computer with about 500 mhz of processing speed will allow the scanner to work at maximum speed. I would recommend a G4 running MAC OS 9.2.2.

There is a hardware upgrade to EverSmart Pro II that will allow you to use oXYgen, which has the advantage of allowing high bit saves of your files, with Firewire and MAC OSX. But the upgrade is very expensive ($5k) and probably not cost effective.

Sandy King

In this situation it sounds like you will be able to get the software disks and calibration slide? These are two of the necessary things that usually get lost on fire sale scanners on Ebay and are expensive to replace. It sounds like, being able to test it and return it, that this is a purchase that has no downside?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Hello,

I am very tempted by the eBay auction (in Germany - 230226477528) on the CREO EverSmart Pro scanner (model from 1999). The guy says it is an SCSI model. May I just ask for the opinions of the high-end flatbed scanner gurus here around ?

The scanner is supposed to be as new (made only a few scans) with Mac computer and 1 month No-questions-asked return warranty... Tempted even more ...

P.S. I would kindly ask administrators not to delete this thread if possible, at least for next 24 hours. Thank you.
    A Mac G4 is about $200. If the warranty is good you have little to lose except shipping which runs high. If you can go to the location and test the scanner first that would greatly reduce the chances of failure.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    you get the full resolution anywhere on the bed and all over the bed because of a proprietary system of XY stitching unique to EverSmart and IQSmart scanners.
    The Cezanne does the same thing, stitch in XY providing full resolution across the entire bed from anywhere on the bed, so does the Lanovia, and the Creo IQx's.

The Cezanne maintenance tool shows an animated graphic of XY motion across the bed as well as lens iris settings.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    The Cezanne does the same thing, stitch in XY providing full resolution across the entire bed, so does the Lanovia, and the Creo IQx's.

The Cezanne maintenance tool shows an animated graphic of XY maintenance patterns as well as lens iris settings.
    Joe,

The Creo scanners are the only ones that stitch. The Cezanne and the Lanovia use a zoom technology. They do provide full resolution across the entire bed but get there a different way.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Joe,

The Creo scanners are the only ones that stitch. The Cezanne and the Lanovia use a zoom technology. They do provide full resolution across the entire bed but get there a different way.
    interesting, do you know what that means since the bed is on a XY axis and it appears the sensor and lens moves in an XY pattern and there is no physical way to get an image of size without stitching