Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Powder Flash

Octogenarian

Re: Gun Powder Flash

No need to go all the way back to using flash powder.

Flash bulbs with safety features replaced flash powder a long time ago.

It's called progress.

Smokeless powders don't burn all that bright, and they don't burn all that fast. And, burned in bulk, they certainly are not smokeless.

I'm going to keep posting that you should not use black powder for this. BP is classified as an explosive, because it can be set off with low heat, static sparks, pressure (like dropping a rock on a few grains. And again, all it makes is a big puff of smoke and a dull yellow flame. But if you get a spark into a large amount, say an open can you forgot to put the lid on, it will more or less detonate. Remember all those cartoons with the cask of powder blowing up the Coyote? You don't want to mess with that. I'm sure flash powder is just as sensitive, but at least you buy it in small amounts, not a pound of black powder. I have quite a bit of experience with BP, going back 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'm going to keep posting that you should not use black powder for this. BP is classified as an explosive, because it can be set off with low heat, static sparks, pressure (like dropping a rock on a few grains. And again, all it makes is a big puff of smoke and a dull yellow flame. But if you get a spark into a large amount, say an open can you forgot to put the lid on, it will more or less detonate. Remember all those cartoons with the cask of powder blowing up the Coyote? You don't want to mess with that. I'm sure flash powder is just as sensitive, but at least you buy it in small amounts, not a pound of black powder. I have quite a bit of experience with BP, going back 30 years.
    I'm right with you. Unfortunately, it's hard to get through to ignorance...

E. "using black powder without incident since 1972" von Hoegh
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You're out of your mind!
    My sentiments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It amazes me, that someone so poorly informed that they propose using either type of gunpowder as flash powder, believes themselves competent to asess the risks to themselves and others.
    And again....

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Use Goex instead of Pyrodex. Make sure you get the "FFFF" grade.

Pyrodex is not black powder. It is smokeless powder formulated to measure the same as black powder. The grain size is not as consistent.
    What you are calling "goex" is a brand name. Gearhardt & Owen Explosives Co. It is true black powder. Other brands of black powder are available.
    Pyrodex is most assuredly not smokeless powder. It is a black powder substitute with a higher ignition temperature, so it is shipped under different regulations. It can be used volume for volume instead of black powder.

Smokeless powder is a nitrocellulose based propellant.

All physical characteristics share a common attribute... They are bounded at one end.

When there are no photons, it is dark, and can get no darker, yet brightness can increase without limit.
    When there is no motion, it's quiet, and can get no more so, yet loudness can increase without bound.

Thus we are forced conclude that human intelligence is limited, since human stupidity obviously is not.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    All physical characteristics share a common attribute... They are bounded at one end.

When there are no photons, it is dark, and can get no darker, yet brightness can increase without limit.
    When there is no motion, it's quiet, and can get no more so, yet loudness can increase without bound.

Thus we are forced conclude that human intelligence is limited, since human stupidity obviously is not.

- Leigh
    "With stupidity, the Gods themselves struggle in vain" (Mit der dummheit, kampfen Goetter selbst vergebens)- Schiller, from The Maid of Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What you are calling "goex" is a brand name. Gearhardt & Owen Explosives Co. It is true black powder. Other brands of black powder are available.
    Pyrodex is most assuredly not smokeless powder. It is a black powder substitute with a higher ignition temperature, so it is shipped under different regulations. It can be used volume for volume instead of black powder.

Smokeless powder is a nitrocellulose based propellant.
    You're right. I mixed my metaphors, so to speak. Goex (a brand of black powder) is a synthetic substance that is classified as "smokeless" but it is not true smokeless powder.

Secondarily, shorthand gets me again. When talking of the fineness or grade of powder, we often refer to "FFFF" or "4-F" but often leave out the fact that they are actaully "FFFFg", the "g" standing for "graphite." That means that some graphite has been mixed with the ingredients as the cake is being made, before grinding, so as to make it flow better and to prevent accidental ignition from static electricity and stuff like that.

Yes, black powder is not a toy and should not be taken lightly. Yes, you can really do damage if you're not careful. Yes, you can start accidental fires, end up in the hospital or get yourself or somebody else killed. However, I'll say three things:

1) We're all adults here and, as such, we should all be able to weigh the risks of the things we want to do and, if we believe they are dangerous, we shouldn't do them or else get help from somebody who knows what they are doing.

2) As photographers, we should all have some idea about handling dangerous or potentially dangerous substances. We work up to our elbows in chemicals.
    (All the while wearing rubber gloves, aprons, face shields and respirators, no doubt!)

3) I've been working with Goex black powder since I've been old enough to go hunting. I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as some people think it is. Too many people believe what they see in those Wile E. Coyote cartoons. Somebody who understands the risks, understands how the stuff behaves and is willing to work carefully, should have no trouble at all. I've been using black powder and magnesium to make stage effects since eighth grade. I don't do it often but, when I do, I always take my job seriously.

By the way, I still think binary flash powder would be safer and work better.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/