Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 176 members and 529 guests right now

176 members and 529 guests right now

We are watched and read by many more than ever comment on anything.

Do we really want bully rules and kill this forum by bickering?
    Tin Can

Re: 176 members and 529 guests right now

Those are encouraging numbers. When I am here I am aware that a lot more are reading than commenting, and I look forward to any wisdom the lurkers might offer, so welcome to all.

I hope they all buy sheet film.

I'm a member of a local photo club and we rent a room to some municipal institution for our weekly meetings.
    The room, for safety reasons, is regulated like any room open to the public, and cannot accommodate more than 40 people, and my understanding is that the owner would not accept any infringement on this.
    So we have to strictly limit the number of members in the club.

Recently, our deputy-president announced us that we could admit 3-4 new members for next year, candidate members could be accepted only after recommendation by one member.

And I answered:
    "New members only by recommendation! Great!
    Exactly like the French Alpine Club in 1880; and no female members were allowed!"

(in Switzerland at the beginning, there were two separate Alpine Clubs, one for male and one for female)

funkadelic

As someone who has been in the business of life safety for over 20 years, I applaud your building owner. Asking him to do otherwise would be asking him to ignore the well being of others. While it may be an inconvenience, building occupancy limits benefit the tenants whether they agree with it or not.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    I'm a member of a local photo club and we rent a room to some municipal institution for our weekly meetings.
    The room, for safety reasons, is regulated like any room open to the public, and cannot accommodate more than 40 people, and my understanding is that the owner would not accept any infringement on this.
    So we have to strictly limit the number of members in the club.

Recently, our deputy-president announced us that we could admit 3-4 new members for next year, candidate members could be accepted only after recommendation by one member.

And I answered:
    "New members only by recommendation! Great!
    Exactly like the French Alpine Club in 1880; and no female members were allowed!"

(in Switzerland at the beginning, there were two separate Alpine Clubs, one for male and one for female)
    The club I was in when I lived in MA met in a room with a limit of 60 or so. Membership was increasing and they had to decide whether to limit it or to find new (bigger) space. They opted for finding a larger room, which they did. They liked being open to everyone who wanted to join rather than becoming too exclusive.

Though I will also add that a large number of the "529 guests" are likely to be bots and/or people who want to post spam. I run a forum and that's about how it looks when you can see the IP addresses of those "guests". But, yes, a large number likely lurk and don't post and it's worth keeping that in mind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I hope they all buy sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ...Do we really want bully rules...
    What are "bully rules?"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ...kill this forum by bickering?
    Randy, spend some time with the archive. Read what went on in the early years. That which you describe as "bickering" today is friendly banter compared to the bloodbaths which occurred back then.

This forum has survived much more than some relatively civil disagreements. It will continue to survive, especially well with the firm moderation of recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    What are "bully rules?"

Randy, spend some time with the archive. Read what went on in the early years. That which you describe as "bickering" today is friendly banter compared to the bloodbaths which occurred back then.

This forum has survived much more than some relatively civil disagreements. It will continue to survive, especially well with the firm moderation of recent years.
    I have read them.
    Tin Can

Folks, it's fine to share for broader discussion any general thoughts you have about the culture of the forum and about moderation. Please avoid personal sniping and reacting to same. If there's a specific problem you need help with, let the moderators know via private communication.

Thanks.