Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Re: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Borrowing the credentials of a lab is to me nearly comical--we all know of general commercial labs who cannot scan or print digitally to save their lives, and those who do it well usually specialize very deeply in just that.
    For the record, the lab that you find so comical is Kleurgamma, which has produced a large number of both digital and analogue prints for numerous museums and galleries in many different countries.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroenbruggeman View Post
    You know very well that the subtle qualities of analogue prints get lost on the Web, but you're welcome to visit any upcoming exhibition of my work, where I usually have analogue and digital side by side.
    Are you shooting with a Canon 5D in the comparison? Or are you using a Phase IQ 180? Something in between? The higher end digital makes a world of difference. I know 10MP is not going to look as good enlarged as a 4x5 or 5x7, but I have real doubts about the larger format digitals being sub-par in a print only 20 inches on the long side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    A person new to lf photography might run across the article, perhaps through the author's home page where he links to it as "About the (mostly old) lenses that I use I've written an extensive test", and think that Sironars, Symmars, Ysarexes, and Fujinon-A's, -C's, and -W's are classic old portrait lenses, and that perhaps the best old classic portrait lens is the Apo-Ronar.

I'm sorry, but the article is a mishmash of very biased personal opinion and technical errors to be corrected later as other people do the author's research work for him. The LF Home Page shouldn't be a Vanity Press for those who can't get it right...
    I agree. Most of it is opinion and should be stated as such clearly. The word "test" is used 35 times in the article. As far as I can see the only thing that was done is the author used a bunch of different lenses in completely different situations and then expounded personal opinions about the results of his prints with each. While that is OK and can be very informative, it is not a "test" of any sort in the sense of the word as I have ever heard it used.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroenbruggeman View Post
    For the record, the lab that you find so comical is Kleurgamma, which has produced a large number of both digital and analogue prints for numerous museums and galleries in many different countries.
    I didn't find the lab comical. I found the notion that one could test the full capability of digital printing by ordering one print from any given commercial lab comical. There are lots of high-end labs that have great credentials and experience. But assuming they represent all that can be done with a sample of one is a mistake. Did you send your negative to be contact printed by some other commercial lab, and accept whatever they produced on the first try as assuredly representative of the state of the art for contact printing?

Often, such comparisons are not comparisons of what is possible, but of different standards that were applied to the items being compared.

Rick "who has seen less-than-steller work from some pretty high-end labs in his 40 years in photography" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    technical errors
    After the minor correction on the Fujinon-C lens type, which actually pertained its misnaming, not its performance, not a single technical error in my text has been pointed out by anyone.

I absolutely love the High Key shot in post #93.

As a new starter to 4x5 photography I am planning on using a pair of Symmars in their converted mode unfortunately both at f12 (180mm @ 315mm and 210mm @ 370mm) when I can find some info on how to convert them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    As a new starter to 4x5 photography I am planning on using a pair of Symmars in their converted mode unfortunately both at f12 (180mm @ 315mm and 210mm @ 370mm) when I can find some info on how to convert them.
    It's simple, just remove the front cell. You will need to check focus at your final taking aperture, though; the placement of the diaphragm when the front cell is removed causes a small focus shift as you stop down.

Rick "who has a 180 convertible" Denney

Excellent thanks, I removed the rear element and found that I got a focal length increase but nothing like I was expecting.

God forbid anyone would actually delve into the subject itself, exploring the wonder and diversity of human character.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    God forbid anyone would actually delve into the subject itself, exploring the wonder and diversity of human character.
    No one here has criticized the imagery as far as I can see. What exactly is your point?