Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45 Questions

Toyo 45 Questions

A lot of Toyo 45s on the market:

1. The older "cream" coloured 45 - Is the rail diameter same as the newer models of Toyo view cameras?

2. Same with Bellows and lens boards... same as newer models?

3. The "G" models have all geared movements?

4. IF not a "G" only rise and focus are geared?

Any other comments + or - for the used/older Toyo View cameras are welcome!

Smoothness of movements, rigidity and sturdiness are my main concerns.

Thanks!

/gth

Re: Toyo 45 Questions

I can not help you because I do not know the answers either. But I am very interested because I bought my first LF camera yesterday. A "4x5 Toyo D' model, it does not have any rulers or anything to measure angles. It looks to be in great shape, no wear at all. I bought it in a package deal 2 cameras, 2 lenses, a metal case and more for $600. So I that is all I can tell you about the price. It came with a 150 Rodenstock f6.3 lens, shutter 'sounds nice'.
    So I'll be watching on the side lines, learning as we go. Now I have to put a darkroom together. Then I can start shooting.

jadphoto

GTH,

The older model Toyo rails are a different diameter. A little smaller actually. I was given a Toyo (model M, I believe, definitely cream colored) that was missing the tripod block. I bought a newer tripod block off ebay and it didn't fit. However some judiciously applied stair tread non-slip material made it serviceable. I used the non slip material that is soft and rubbery, not the kind that is like sandpaper. Eventually I found the proper one on this forum if I remember correctly.

All movements. or at least shift, rise and fall and focus, were geared. The main reason I sold it was that it didn't have a Graflok/International back. Otherwise a very nice camera.

I'm pretty sure the lensboards were the same as the current cameras.

JD

The D model would be the cream coloured (white) camera right? I've been looking at those too. Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    GTH,

The older model Toyo rails are a different diameter. A little smaller actually. I was given a Toyo (model M, I believe, definitely cream colored) that was missing the tripod block. I bought a newer tripod block off ebay and it didn't fit. However some judiciously applied stair tread non-slip material made it serviceable. I used the non slip material that is soft and rubbery, not the kind that is like sandpaper. Eventually I found the proper one on this forum if I remember correctly.

All movements. or at least shift, rise and fall and focus, were geared. The main reason I sold it was that it didn't have a Graflok/International back. Otherwise a very nice camera.

I'm pretty sure the lensboards were the same as the current cameras.

JD
    Hmm, if the D models do not have Graflock it's out for me, because I have a lot of Graflock backs.

From pictures it looks as if it has the sliding chrome bars per Graflock for holding the spring back in place? But I guess then the dimensions of the back is different than Graflocks?

Howdy, just have to say I bought a 45 D yesterday and it is all black. I do not know about the Graflock back. The back does rotate. Do not know the age of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    A lot of Toyo 45s on the market:

1. The older "cream" coloured 45 - Is the rail diameter same as the newer models of Toyo view cameras?

2. Same with Bellows and lens boards... same as newer models?

3. The "G" models have all geared movements?

4. IF not a "G" only rise and focus are geared?

Any other comments + or - for the used/older Toyo View cameras are welcome!

Smoothness of movements, rigidity and sturdiness are my main concerns.

Thanks!

/gth
    1. The older Toyos came in gray hammertone, green, cream and black colors, in order of date of manufacture. The rails are thinner than the new G series.

2. The bellows, backs and lensboards are interchangeable.

3. The G models have fine geared focusing only on the front and rear standards, while the older D series had geared focusing all along the rail. But the gearing wasn't as fine as it is now on the G series. Both series have geared focusing, rise/fall and shift movements on both standards.

4. See above.

All the Toyos are excellent value for money. I use the black D45M when I'm in Japan. You may find the G series a bit smoother in operation, but the D series packs up a little smaller, and is rigid and sturdy enough to use with a Betterlight scan back and a 300mm Heliar.

Kumar

Thanks Kumar!

Final question: Does the "cream"models have "International" - Graflock backs?

/gth

Sorry, forgot to answer that! Only the black version came with a factory-issued Graflok back. My guess is that the black D45 and the G series may have co-existed for a short while. But if you get a cream version in nice shape, don't worry too much. You can always use slide-in roll film holders.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Sorry, forgot to answer that! Only the black version came with a factory-issued Graflok back. My guess is that the black D45 and the G series may have co-existed for a short while. But if you get a cream version in nice shape, don't worry too much. You can always use slide-in roll film holders.

Kumar
    OK, thanks.... I suppose that will work as long as I can slide in Polaroid adapters and Grafmatics. I do have avery nice Toyo 6x9 roll film holder on a Graflock mount and a 6x7 Toyo slide in ground glass and RB 67 back mount on Graflock.

Don't exactly know why I m fixated on the cream 45..... I like the look of it and it is usually inexpensive..... but then I am stuck with an older model again.