Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the same & whats new & different?

Re: Whats the same & whats new & different?

Since 1981, CHANGES of note for me:

Used LF lenses available at discount prices
    NEW HIGH QUALITY LF cameras made in China can be shipped to your door
    Take care of your film holders; new ones will likely need to be custom made; though used ones are still easy to get.
    Used LF enlargers are available at discount prices
    High quality multigrade paper is available from multiple manufacturers (but not Kodak).
    Ten years ago Densitometers and Sensitometers were available for a fraction of their new cost but maybe not so in the last 3 to 5 years.
    Good enlarger alignment tools available (Laser or mirrors).
    MTF is used more commonly than lines per millimeter for describing lens performance.
    Hansma described an optimum shooting aperture that takes into account diffraction and de-focus.
    Selenium probably does not aid B&W print longevity
    Although concentrated hypo poured into a print washer goes straight to the bottom, the usual dilute hypo, that would be present during print washing, is probably distributed evenly throughout the moving water
    Microfiber lens-cleaning cloth

Since 1981, the SAME:

Beginners you might meet or teach still like underexposing and over developing negatives
    Fiber Based Paper archival washing sequence is nearly the same.
    Still, no one knows if RC paper is archival
    Spot meters are still pretty expensive
    New Jobo processors are still expensive
    Six element enlarging lenses are still the best
    Darkrooms still use a conventional amber or red safelight!
    Multigrade paper still uses GREEN (low contrast) and BLUE (high contrast) sensitive layers, though the Ilford Contrast Filter set has changed since 1981.
    Commercial film speed ratings are still based on the work of Loyd Jones
    "Silver Bullet" chasing is more prevalent. On the Internet everyone is a self proclaimed expert touting the latest-greatest concoction of lens, film and chemistry. From tea leaves and vitamin-c to motion picture film cut to sheet film sizes. It seems like without a mentor it might be impossible to make logical sense out of it.

Drew Wiley

The world is still crawling with "artistes" who think the whole point of creativity is to have green hair and nose rings. ... the only difference now is that they Holga
    cameras.

Speaking of quality films, Kodak, TMY is quite a remarkable film if you can pay for the taxi dance. I still have some reserved for when the reciprocity zombies attack
    I've heard great things about Neopan as well, but no personal experience.
    Probably one of the biggest differences between then and now is that used quality gear can be had for pennies on the dollar. Highly regarded 210mms go begging at Keh. Older Sinars are even giving classic Calumet 400's some competition. 4x5 enlargers? Don't be surprised if you find them for give-way prices on Craig's List.
    I started putting together my kit in 1997-8 and I've got some great quality gear I could only have dreamed about affording a decade before. The great digital migration was a good thing and with some traditional photo gear, we're still reaping the rewards.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Speaking of quality films, Kodak, TMY is quite a remarkable film if you can pay for the taxi dance. I still have some reserved for when the reciprocity zombies attack
    I've heard great things about Neopan as well, but no personal experience.
    Probably one of the biggest differences between then and now is that used quality gear can be had for pennies on the dollar. Highly regarded 210mms go begging at Keh. Older Sinars are even giving classic Calumet 400's some competition. 4x5 enlargers? Don't be surprised if you find them for give-way prices on Craig's List.
    I started putting together my kit in 1997-8 and I've got some great quality gear I could only have dreamed about affording a decade before. The great digital migration was a good thing and with some traditional photo gear, we're still reaping the rewards.
    +1

Neopan Acros100 is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Since 1981, CHANGES of note for me:

Used LF lenses available at discount prices
    NEW HIGH QUALITY LF cameras made in China can be shipped to your door
    Take care of your film holders; new ones will likely need to be custom made; though used ones are still easy to get.
    Used LF enlargers are available at discount prices
    High quality multigrade paper is available from multiple manufacturers (but not Kodak).
    Ten years ago Densitometers and Sensitometers were available for a fraction of their new cost but maybe not so in the last 3 to 5 years.
    Good enlarger alignment tools available (Laser or mirrors).
    MTF is used more commonly than lines per millimeter for describing lens performance.
    Hansma described an optimum shooting aperture that takes into account diffraction and de-focus.
    Selenium probably does not aid B&W print longevity
    Although concentrated hypo poured into a print washer goes straight to the bottom, the usual dilute hypo, that would be present during print washing, is probably distributed evenly throughout the moving water
    Microfiber lens-cleaning cloth

Since 1981, the SAME:

Beginners you might meet or teach still like underexposing and over developing negatives
    Fiber Based Paper archival washing sequence is nearly the same.
    Still, no one knows if RC paper is archival
    Spot meters are still pretty expensive
    New Jobo processors are still expensive
    Six element enlarging lenses are still the best
    Darkrooms still use a conventional amber or red safelight!
    Multigrade paper still uses GREEN (low contrast) and BLUE (high contrast) sensitive layers, though the Ilford Contrast Filter set has changed since 1981.
    Commercial film speed ratings are still based on the work of Loyd Jones
    "Silver Bullet" chasing is more prevalent. On the Internet everyone is a self proclaimed expert touting the latest-greatest concoction of lens, film and chemistry. From tea leaves and vitamin-c to motion picture film cut to sheet film sizes. It seems like without a mentor it might be impossible to make logical sense out of it.
    Great list!

Thanks to all for the info! I have so much to relearn!
    30+ years is a long time to be away but I better do it now while I can still see & carry the gear!
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The world is still crawling with "artistes" who think the whole point of creativity is to have green hair and nose rings. ... the only difference now is that they Holga
    cameras.

LOL! I used that dumb hippy with the big old camera....I guess now I am going to be that old guy with cool big old camera..
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

[QUOTE=John Kasaian;1096370]
    4x5 enlargers? Don't be surprised if you find them for give-way prices on Craig's List.

No kidding I found this on Cl for $30!
    Now to find a camera to go with it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7040.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	107917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7050.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	107918