Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

Re: Deardorff V8x10. Repair or not?

I'd listen to Richard, he has way more experience with these things than most of us do!

I would not try to repair it until I have made, or purchased a new replacement for the whole piece. I suggest such because when I make a replacement part, I usually make two at the same time.

I agree with Richard. The gap is at the front, and will not interfere with any functions. Extreme gaps at the back can cause the rear extension to bind, then, I would say, get it to an experienced person to remedy the problem. If everything is rolling smoothly, use the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Do NOT use epoxy or Gorilla Glue. Neither is very flexible when cured & put additional stress on the wood when humidity/temperature cause it to move. There's a reason traditional woodworkers use hide glue.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I agree with Richard. The gap is at the front, and will not interfere with any functions. Extreme gaps at the back can cause the rear extension to bind, then, I would say, get it to an experienced person to remedy the problem. If everything is rolling smoothly, use the camera.
    Sounds like very good advice. It seems to me that an original finish, fully functional camera would be more desirable. I've still got the original bellows on mine, never had a problem. Of course I don't stand out in the blazing sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    +1!
    I'd second taking Richard and Tracy's advice.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Leave it along. It is a very common problem with this type of base construction. You live in area of the country that see a lot of weather change from high humidity to low. This effects the wood.

Over the spam of a year the width of the separation will change. From not being there to being wide. As long as the camera keeps working don't worry about it.

Some will tell you to pack it with epoxy or some type of glue don't. You will only make the problem worst over time. And if you use the right type of glue you will make the part unrepairable.

It cost a lot to repair and takes up to a year to do the repair right.
    Thanks Richard,

It probably didn't help that the Deardorff who made the camera put a screw which holds down the bar used for making the front standard adjustments right down the middle of the seam between the two wood parts. Flaws are the sign of a handmade item though.