Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Fixed focus 4x5 camera

Re: Fixed focus 4x5 camera

Does the screws have european threads or english?
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Tripod screws are some kind of imperial thread. I have not yet found a source for a tap in europe and for single use I'm not going to risk customs.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Tripod screws are some kind of imperial thread. I have not yet found a source for a tap in europe and for single use I'm not going to risk customs.
    They are most common in the EU and USA. (Yep, even on my British motorcycles.) You don't need a tap if you use the fasteners I suggested earlier. Where is my friend Randy Moe when I need backup?

Tripod thread sizes originated in Europe or Britain. They are universal everywhere!
    1/4" X 20 and 3/8" x 16.

If you worry about choosing one of the two, then get 3/8" x 16 and the common thread reducers to 1/4 x 20 and be happy.

To have a tripod screw I'm going to recover the mounting plate from a broken camera.
    Not necessary. The 1/4" or 3/8" sockets are common fasteners. Since you have some aluminum to add thickness you could cut a piece to fit inside the camera, screw it down from the outside, then drill and tap for the tripod screw. Keep it simple.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 27-Jan-2018 at 10:05.

I have my pinhole version almost ready. In the mean time I have ordered a lens tool so I can put my 65mm lens on a home made lensboard. Then I can start contructing camera nr2 with the lens. And the saga continues....
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Quote Originally Posted by Degroto View Post
    Hi,

Recently I picked up a sinar camera with a bunch of lenses. Including a sinaron F5,6 65mm lens. Now I want to try a simple fixed focus camera with this lens. My reasoning that the DoF will be big enough to do without a focusing system. Is my thinking correct?

Peter
    If you place you subject always at the focal distance, results will be the same as a focusing camera.
    If the subject is not at the focal distance, the results will be the same as a focusing camera with improper focus.

Here’s my take on the idea. A cardboard tube between two coupling frames. I’m still trying to get a Norma aux standard for the back too. It is really light and a joy to handle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25179285518_706f968e91_z_d.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	174255

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you place you subject always at the focal distance, results will be the same as a focusing camera.
    If the subject is not at the focal distance, the results will be the same as a focusing camera with improper focus.
    Shouldn't the depth of field also play a role? Like hyperfocal distance? At the apertures typicaly used for pinhole and LF photography it seems to me you could get away with it. Provided the distance lens-film is correct for the hyperfocal distance of course.

Shouldn't the depth of field also play a role? Like hyperfocal distance? At the apertures typicaly used for pinhole and LF photography it seems to me you could get away with it. Provided the distance lens-film is correct for the hyperfocal distance of course.
    Even at the hyperfocal point, and you used a medium f-stop, the focus is barely acceptable (for smaller enlargments), but not optimum... Take a smaller format SLR camera (like a 60mm on a 35mm or 6X6 SLR) and put on a FL close to what you are mounting on the new camera (65mm???), and walk around focusing it critically on a # of scenes and see what you see/shoot with a roll of film...

I think a camera should have at least some focusing capability, as "hyperfocal" means to me (in practice) that that things in the near front and behind the focus point will be in good focus, with a variable gradual fall-off close and further away , or the camera will be kinda a "one trick pony", instead of having a range to handle a variety of shooting situations...

Another focusing option is fixed mounting on the front, but the back moves outward... Technical cameras have the rear tilt feature where the rear slides out on rods etc, but if that were on threaded rods, one could turn or slide the back adjustment so the camera would set default at infinity closed, but could be extended as needed, and maybe even some back tilt could be added... Some sliding/locking rods, threaded rods with knobs, or even flat slotted brackets with a hold down knob can be used easily, and common hardware store items... Does not have to be super precise, as this is basically a LF camera with some slop factor within... (Fear not...)

Look at back tilt options on many older cameras for ideas...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Look at back tilt options on many older cameras for ideas...
    If you mean something like the Mamiya Press (don't remember which version) then I'm not very fond of it. Completely unusable without a tripod.