Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Camera Cart

Re: ULF Camera Cart

They make a mess in the truck if you forget to let them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Below are some pics of the folding cart I use for my V11. Folds flat for the vehicle and has a large base platform and keeps the load low and with bunge cords it works fine for my application. The platform is 15" deep and 19" wide and stands 45" tall fully open. The wheels have a diameter of 8 inches. Folded it is 28" x 19" x3". I have seen these at office supply stores and maybe even on Amazon.

Have a Great Day!

Attachment 163305Attachment 163306Attachment 163307
    Have used a similar cart but with the addition of 2 pieces of foam between the camera case and the cart to cut down on vibration. I also easily fitted larger wheels which destabilized the cart a little bit but made it a lot easier to drag the cart over rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have used a similar cart but with the addition of 2 pieces of foam between the camera case and the cart to cut down on vibration. I also easily fitted larger wheels which destabilized the cart a little bit but made it a lot easier to drag the cart over rocky terrain.
    There clearly are a considerable number of options for each photographer to consider. I got a Northern Tool and Equipment catalog yesterday and you can go to a full blown cart they use in landscape shops to cart potted trees around with big pressurized wheels and a large platform for $190 if you have some challenges with terrain. Balancing the space to haul it around with the objective to get the shot is a very personal decision. I have had a couple of instances where a cart was of no use but I wanted the shot so I hauled it to the location piece by piece making three trips to and three trips back. Out here in Colorado photographing in wilderness areas wheels of any kind are not allowed. It is either a horse/mule or you pack it. I actually have a back pack for my 8x20 and V11 and have used it recently. It may not be easy but such is life. We just figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Out here in Colorado photographing in wilderness areas wheels of any kind are not allowed. It is either a horse/mule or you pack it. I actually have a back pack for my 8x20 and V11 and have used it recently. It may not be easy but such is life. We just figure it out.
    In the Northeast have not run into wheels not being allowed in the wilderness, but have come across "TRIPODS NOT ALLOWED" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    In the Northeast have not run into wheels not being allowed in the wilderness, but have come across "TRIPODS NOT ALLOWED" signs.
    The Federal Government manages 765 wilderness areas and 109 million acres of US designated protected areas through the BLM, The Forest Service, the National Park Service and the Fish and Wildlife Service. The difference in your scenario with wheels allowed is very likely in the fact that the areas you are making reference to are State Wilderness managed areas because the Federal Government wilderness designation is very rigorous with fines imposed and consistent supervision. Among the other restrictions - outfitters need certified hay for their pack animals to keep noxious weeds out. And if you get caught with a mountain bike in there you can kiss it good by. Park Rangers have enormous authority and can confiscate campers and trucks at a moments notice. I was stopped by a ranger while pushing a three wheeler with some LF equipment in it as I was heading into Trappers Lake / The Flat Tops Wilderness area in NW Colorado and told that the fine for wheeled vehicles in the area was $125 or confiscation of the carrier if I wanted to go to court. When I paused a bit he must have thought I was wanting the shot and he asked me if the photo was worth the fine because he said if I did not go past the lake he would let me pay the fine and shoot all day. Discretion being the better form of valor I walked the carrier back to the cabin and put the 8x10 in a backpack, took two lenses two holders and slung the tripod over my shoulder and went for a hike.

I have heard these kind of stories before . . .Is this not in conflict with the Americans With Disabilities Act?

I have run across wheel-chair bound but otherwise vigerous young men who can negotiate street curbing and a few stairs while seated in a non-powered wheel chair . . .They cannot enter a so-called Wilderness Area due to this no-wheels policy? REALLY?

A powered scooter like those advertised on TV I could understand. Heck, I have even seen an electric powered wheelchair with tank-like treads, so OK I get that, but no wheels at all? My mother-in-law has a walker with wheels . ..that out too?

Yes, ome of this rant is over the top, but there is a point to be made . . .how far off am I in this?
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 2-Apr-2017 at 11:51.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

What about a travois? Just a couiple of poles with the gear lashed in between.

What about a toboggan in winter (or summer)?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have heard these kind of stories before . . .Is this not in conflict with the Americans With Disabilities Act?

I have run across wheel-chair bound but otherwise vigerous young men who can negotiate street curbing and a few stairs while seated in a non-powered wheel chair . . .They cannot enter a so-called Wilderness Area due to this no-wheels policy? REALLY?

A powered scooter like those advertised on TV I could understand. Heck, I have even seen an electric powered wheelchair with tank-like treads, so OK I get that, but no wheels at all? My mother-in-law has a walker with wheels . ..that out too?

Ye3ah, some of this rant is over the top, but there is a point to be made . . .how far off am I in this?
    Please. Why do we have to jump to the most emotionally charged scenario possibly involved. I am damn glad that they have these rules by the way or you would have every knucklehead on his ATV blasting through the area with no regard to others like it is in public areas. By the way there are plenty of ways a person with disabilities can enjoy the outdoors. It is called the National Forest and they have infinite mobility and access. Reality check. Being at 10,000 ft elevation with rapidly challenging weather conditions in terrain a mountain goat would have problems with is no place for anyone disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    I also use the same exact cart that Michael posted, for every format up to and including 8x10. It has proven to be extremely rugged.

For ULF, when on a flat surface such as a sidewalk, I use a folding 4 wheel cart;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._in1_hand.html

https://www.uline.com/BL_1885/8-In-1...folding%20cart (10 in. wheels)

For trail use or soft surfaces, I use a UPS style dolly that I modified with larger, inflatable wheels.

https://www.magliner.com/product/spe...ng-hand-trucks

Thanks, these look extremely interesting as well. And most of these seem to collapse down to a fairly manageable size which is important. I have a smaller than normal trunk due to the hybrid battery pack which limits my options.

These are pretty cool and have a 500 lb capacity for $75.

http://www.discountramps.com/game-ca...FYe2wAod2zQK1w

I'd get rid of the solid tires and put the inflatable ones on it for the $25 they want. Just strap on your 300 WinMag to the side of your 12x20 and when you're done, bag some dinner and head home with everything you shot during the day....Just sayin'