Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson v700 vs. v750?

Re: Epson v700 vs. v750?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    I understand, somewhat, your comment ... but I don't agree with its obvious intent. I even was the original poster of a similar discussion on the 700/750 question back on 1/30/2009. But that was two years ago.

And I still dropped in on this thread to read any new or different opinions. One of the posts in this thread prompted two new questions from me about AN glass sources and dimensions. Sure ... I could have gone back through the archives and searched for AN glass threads but I had someone active in this thread who had some knowledge I could plumb ... and I got an almost immediate response that was very useful to me.

I think that's the value of this being a "forum" and not a repository.
    Agreed, and I agree as well with the above post from Mr Miller.
    Furthermore, if I or others stopped answering every newb question (Is Copal the name of the lens? How do I load sheet film in a holder? etc etc), then this forum would be a poorer place.

We got a little sidetracked here, but I should add a thank you to everyone who responded.
    Very helpful facts, and just what I needed to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Agreed, and I agree as well with the above post from Mr Miller.
    Furthermore, if I or others stopped answering every newb question (Is Copal the name of the lens? How do I load sheet film in a holder? etc etc), then this forum would be a poorer place.
    Yes it would.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by R Miller View Post
    Since we’re burning bandwidth – I have followed the threads and sometime back did a search of the archives - albeit not in the last month or two (my Expression 1600 is still hanging in - except for the transparency lid giving problems and I’m holding off on the 700/750 for as long as I can). My recollection was that there was some conflicting information. Given that at least two of the posters seemed to be well versed with the equipment, with one having used, or currently using, both of the units, it seemed an appropriate time to get a simple yes or no answer from someone who would seem to know.

Thank you for taking the time to answer…
    I received the news that the mobo gave out on my Expression 1600, called my office's computer supplier who told me they had just received their first V700, we bought it, supposedly one of the first in the country. Couple of observations
    1) I have only used the Epson software, which works very well. Tried the crippled version of Silverfast that came with the scanner and it totally unintuitive, upgrade at that point was $275.
    2) The V700 was a better scanner than the Exp 1600, I had been using a Nikon LS2000 for full res 35mm scans, the V700 did just as well as the LS2000 sharpness wise, but had better dynamic range. It could also handle the darker retina photos we were scanning that were troublesome on the LS2000. So suddenly the V700 did everything we needed.
    I'm no longer working in that office, but I understand the scanner is still working well, I believe it is 4 years old, lots of water under the bridge since buying it. It has been a good scanner, not perfect but very good.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Monego View Post
    I received the news that the mobo gave out on my Expression 1600, called my office's computer supplier who told me they had just received their first V700, we bought it, supposedly one of the first in the country. Couple of observations
    1) I have only used the Epson software, which works very well. Tried the crippled version of Silverfast that came with the scanner and it totally unintuitive, upgrade at that point was $275.
    2) The V700 was a better scanner than the Exp 1600, I had been using a Nikon LS2000 for full res 35mm scans, the V700 did just as well as the LS2000 sharpness wise, but had better dynamic range. It could also handle the darker retina photos we were scanning that were troublesome on the LS2000. So suddenly the V700 did everything we needed.
    I'm no longer working in that office, but I understand the scanner is still working well, I believe it is 4 years old, lots of water under the bridge since buying it. It has been a good scanner, not perfect but very good.

Tom
    Soon i will complete 1 year with film shooting and purchasing V750, for all that time this scanner served me very well, i know all will say it is not a perfect choice for some reasons, but it can do the job, and because i know that i will shoot LF one day [i did before yesterday] then i know that this scanner will be the best choice so far, the only better choice over this scanner will be that Hasselblad X5 which is about 28.5 times the price of V750.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Soon i will complete 1 year with film shooting and purchasing V750, for all that time this scanner served me very well, i know all will say it is not a perfect choice for some reasons, but it can do the job, and because i know that i will shoot LF one day [i did before yesterday] then i know that this scanner will be the best choice so far, the only better choice over this scanner will be that Hasselblad X5 which is about 28.5 times the price of V750.
    Hi Professional -

Did you get your V750 from here in the UAE? I've been trying to find out from a dealer whether the Fluid Mount Accessory is included in the box, but have heard nothing back from them yet.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

The EpsonStore had refurb'd V700s for around $400 a while back. If I were doing it again, that sure would tempt me versus the 750. Refurb's have worked well for others in the past although there have been times people received a lemon (but Epson is good about swapping them out fast). For the difference in price, you can afford to upgrade most any feature to a V750 equivalence or better (except for the lens coating which is a bit of an unknown value) and still have money left over.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hi Professional -

Did you get your V750 from here in the UAE? I've been trying to find out from a dealer whether the Fluid Mount Accessory is included in the box, but have heard nothing back from them yet.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    hi Gerald,

Yes, i bought my Epson from here in UAE, a dealer of Epson in UAE. I think my scanner didn't come with a Fluid Mount Accessory, and i was going to call them these days but i felt it is too late now and they will not provide it for me now if i complain, so i just forget about it and will look to buy a full Fluid kit when available, but i have to check my box and see if it is included, maybe i don't know what is that Fluid Mount in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    hi Gerald,

Yes, i bought my Epson from here in UAE, a dealer of Epson in UAE. I think my scanner didn't come with a Fluid Mount Accessory, and i was going to call them these days but i felt it is too late now and they will not provide it for me now if i complain, so i just forget about it and will look to buy a full Fluid kit when available, but i have to check my box and see if it is included, maybe i don't know what is that Fluid Mount in the box.
    Thanks.

Here's a link to a review of the scanner that describes the FMA, and has photos of it.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_7.htm

From what I've read, it's included in the box in the US, but not in Europe. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it before I buy one here!

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Thanks.

Here's a link to a review of the scanner that describes the FMA, and has photos of it.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_7.htm

From what I've read, it's included in the box in the US, but not in Europe. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it before I buy one here!
    Well, you are right, our UAE markets are based on European markets, so it is not including [WTF ], so either you buy the US model, or buy the Europ. model and buy that FMA separately.