Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Checklist

Re: Shooting Checklist

I believe that if someone starts at the large format level, they are robbing themselves of a lot of valuable experience that is learned at the 35mm and 120 format level. By the time one gets to LF, there is a lot you'll notice about the lighting, point-of-view, detail, film capability & exposure you choose that no checklist could ever replace.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

More important then a shooting checklist for me is remembering to bring all the various parts. I.e. I've forgotten film holders, lensboard adapters (when I had only 4x4 lensboards to use with a 6x6 camera), tripod quick release plates etc etc and the list goes on. Make sure you have a functional kit before you get in the field!

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    More important then a shooting checklist for me is remembering to bring all the various parts. I.e. I've forgotten film holders, lensboard adapters (when I had only 4x4 lensboards to use with a 6x6 camera), tripod quick release plates etc etc and the list goes on. Make sure you have a functional kit before you get in the field!
    I agree - I have another checklist for that. Constantly leaving things behind....

Guys.. I love your dedication to the art, I'll throw you a freebie and I'm serious.

Exposure isn't just about metering and setting aperture/shutter. While focusing & making movements, adjust your aperture to preview your depth of field. In extreme cases, I'd read up on hyperfocal distance. Know that the sharpest part of the lens is toward the center and avoid using the extreme edges if possible. Avoid extreme movements unless necessary. Extreme edges also have more distortion and light drop-off.

45-57-617

Hi,

I use a portable MP3 recorder and speak my exposure settings and image / vision desires and interpretations into it. So there is no writing of settings at all. I also make a recording of the various circumstances surrounding the image - like "I just got bitten by a swarm of bees but I'll fire the shutter anyways ... "

The other thing I do before I take out the darkslide is to fire the shutter a few times at the chosen speed to prehaps free things up on an old shutter !!

When I talk to myself into the MP3 recorder it helps to look at the camera and the settings too. So I say, "The aperture is ... " and actually look at the lens aperture settings.

Gee I reckon people must think I'm mad !

:-)

Folks; we all have recognized that the LF world is shrinking from the 1990 onward. Anyone should be welcome to come in at any level of experience or talent. Nothing is to be gained by making someone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome here. This should not be a community that requires a new contributor "Pay their dues" or earn credibility as a "serious" photographer . . .or anything like that.

Everyone has a slightly different way of doing things. There is a great dfeal of sharing here, and the pool of knowledge and aslant is both deep and Wide. In the years I have read these threads, I feel that we mentor each other,
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Folks; we all have recognized that the LF world is shrinking from the 1990 onward. Anyone should be welcome to come in at any level of experience or talent. Nothing is to be gained by making someone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome here. This should not be a community that requires a new contributor "Pay their dues" or earn credibility as a "serious" photographer . . .or anything like that.

Everyone has a slightly different way of doing things. There is a great dfeal of sharing here, and the pool of knowledge and aslant is both deep and Wide. In the years I have read these threads, I feel that we mentor each other,
    I don't mind good natured ribbing! Lots of interesting ideas coming out on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about paying dues. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any LF shooter who will tell you that years spent on 35mm was a waste of time & money.

It's been often said that your first 10,000 shots are your worst, and the next 10,000 aren't so great either. It's about finding yourself & trying things you'd never otherwise do.

Of course we welcome everyone, but my message is don't shortchange yourself the experience of a truly versatile format that is both challenging & rewarding not to mention cheaper.

With 35mm, oftentimes the lighting, exposure, film, etc, is all wrong but you take the shot anyway. Eyeball exposure metering becomes a huge talent which teaches much about film latitude, one you'll never get from the likes of digital. I encourage everyone to have fun, only then can you really appreciate LF. I sincerely urge those getting started in film photography to pick up a good manual SLR & have fun.

I learned to photograph with a Rolleiflex, and when I used 4x5 at the university a couple years later, I realized that I had been using the Rollei like a 4x5, just without the movements. So I have been using LF ever since...and have I loosened up a bit when I use the Rollei now! Only 35mm work has been copy work and a couple of weddings. Don't think I have missed a thing by skipping 35mm and quickly jumping into LF!

In fact, equally strong arguments can be made that LF is a much better way to learn photography than 35mm/medium formats. Learning is the key!

Whether one takes a checklist out into the field or not -- just sitting down and writing down the steps will help speed the process towards making it an auto-routine...so that one's mind can concentrate on the more important details
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I suppose I wasn't specific enough.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone with plenty of 35mm experience in their background who will tell you it didn't somehow greatly contribute to becoming a better photographer in LF and was instead a waste of time.