Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Re: Making a scanner with a DSLR

This is a great thread and I am really interested in where it is going. I am beginning to get worried about the structure organization of using a discussion thread to facilitate this.

There have been helpful summaries of progress which help, but are a bit difficult to find. Also, we seem to rehash issues that have been addressed or are currently pending resolution.

Would everybody be better served if there were a wiki page (or more than one page) to document this progress? Free pages can be set up at wiki.com or other locations. For those who don't know a wiki is just a collaboratively edited document. We can document progress, establish next steps and generally work together a bit better. I have seen them used to pretty good effect in software design projects.

An important prerequisite is that the group would have to have almost unanimous buy-in on the idea and it would require everybody to check-in at one additional place on the interwebs. There are probably other issues I am not thinking of.

Let me know what you all think?
    Seth

Light Source (LS1):

a--- (2) PH/140 bulbs + sockets and wiring
    they are placed at opposite ends of the "reflector tunnel [b]" ~$15

b--- (1) length of scrap conduit 4"x~ 7" less than One Corona
    grind out a 1/2 inch slit along about 6" of one side -- the remaining Corona.
    [ I think this is called sched 40 ]

c-- (1) krylon mirror spray $11

d-- diffusion cloth... one used white hanky.
    will experiment with other clothing items after checking out
    the local university laundry day.

LS model II:

I put my dichroic color head on its side and used it.

Note: Obviously I headed the diffuse route. One "strip" light, rather than a point light.
    My source target was first a 4x5 color neg. I changed over (to protect it, initially) to a toss
    away Kodalith negative, complete with "pin holes." .... this was a lucky accident, in that those holes provided me very fine targets
    to verify my stepper controls. It also gave me the idea of "pin hole" positioners along the XY paths.

Pinholes and scratches, the bane of photographers everywhere, certainly provided me some luck along this path.

Quote Originally Posted by sethlatimer View Post
    This is a great thread and I am really interested in where it is going. I am beginning to get worried about the structure organization of using a discussion thread to facilitate this....

An important prerequisite is that the group would have to have almost unanimous buy-in on the idea and it would require everybody to check-in at one additional place on the interwebs. There are probably other issues I am not thinking of.
    I can't think of how that would help people build prototypes at this point. I do think might be valuable for those who are actually performing specific tests, who have specific contributory expertise, or who are building prototypes, to have a separate space where they can discuss details without having to rehash things for people who are unwilling to track through the long thread.

A blog might be better, where blog entries track progress and the commenting peanut gallery is confined to the comments.

But the thread has become place to discuss details for those who have participated in the thread all along. When we actually have results to report, it might be better to take a few items out of this thread and create a new thread that provides a summary. I suspect someone will want to document that on a web page, too, to open it up.

I don't think consensus is that important--each builder is starting with a variation on the requirements and going their own way. We really want a library of different approaches rather than one collaborative single approach. These will necessarily be home-built and each person brings a different set of objectives, skills and raw materials. I think we'd fight over Wiki edits.

Rick "not ready for configuration management" Denney

Eventually, we'll do something along the lines that Seth has outlined. Perhaps we'll put an article on Tuan's LF page, or we could have a DIY forum, with an official build thread stuck to the top. Perhaps there could be a thread for each element, light source, lens, x-y system.... But for now I'm going to concentrate on getting the prototype done. I just made a mistake notching wood, and so it's off to the store, darn it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Perhaps helpful in prototyping: http://www.emachineshop.com/
    I haven't seen anything to suggest their software can import from a common preferred CAD program (ViaCAD!) yet.

emachineshop.com software can import .dxf drawings.

Wish I had more to offer this project.

The first fully-functioning manual prototype is done. I'm going to take a bit of a break and then install and align it. I'll try to get some pictures up later today, although I'm not sure I'll have time to mess with stitching.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Awesome peter,

Can't wait to see the results!!!

Question: On the topic of collimated light sources, what about using a slide projector? The projection lens should certainly provide good collimation, and color correction filters could be mounted in 2x2 slides. I have never noticed anything resembling uneven illumination when lighting a screen with no slide in the slot. I even know where my projector is hiding at the moment.

Rick "curious" Denney