Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a 100mm LCD shutter for $400?

Re: Would you buy a 100mm LCD shutter for $400?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What does that do?
    Hijack over. Sorry Polyglot.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Regarding vibrations and big shutters; big shutters have big mass as do the lenses they carry so inertia reduces any vibrations from the much lighter weight shutter blades and rotating mechanisms. I've used some huge shutters and never seen a vibration problem from any of them.

Regarding optical matters; this shutter would behave like a glass filter in front of the lens. It will have some effect on the rear focus point. If there is any diffusion in the crystal structure, that would degrade the image. How much? We must test!

Regarding the fun factor; I envision some fun stuff. For example, if it is an lcd array, it could be programmed to produce an aperture of any shape or size. Think of the bokeh possibilities! It could also screw things up if a pattern in the subject interfered with the lcd pattern.

Just thinking....

What are the exact optical characteristics of the LCD in transparent mode, e.g. refractive index, color fidelity, etc?

Unlike a real shutter, an LCD shutter is in the path of the image-forming light, and will introduce aberrations and distortion.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Isn't the front surface a polariser as well?

Regardless of any real or perceived problems with it, I think it's an interesting idea worthy of some experimentation.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Big Compounds and Ilexes do generate vibrations. Anything that moves will.
    Not if the movement of one part is countered by the movement of a similar opposite part. e.g. six shutter blades evenly spaced will cancel out each others movement.

Steve.

Forgive my ms-understandings, this not directed to anyone personally.
    But, I believe the root word and action is movement, period.
    Counteracting, suppression, whatever you call it, it's still movement of some kind.
    Thus my continued use of sand bags w/ long telephotos on smaller formats.
    Even though sometimes a minimal improvement in sharpness, but is easily seen in any test I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not if the movement of one part is countered by the movement of a similar opposite part. e.g. six shutter blades evenly spaced will cancel out each others movement.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Eads View Post
    Regarding vibrations and big shutters; big shutters have big mass as do the lenses they carry so inertia reduces any vibrations from the much lighter weight shutter blades and rotating mechanisms. I've used some huge shutters and never seen a vibration problem from any of them.

Regarding optical matters; this shutter would behave like a glass filter in front of the lens. It will have some effect on the rear focus point. If there is any diffusion in the crystal structure, that would degrade the image. How much? We must test!

Regarding the fun factor; I envision some fun stuff. For example, if it is an lcd array, it could be programmed to produce an aperture of any shape or size. Think of the bokeh possibilities! It could also screw things up if a pattern in the subject interfered with the lcd pattern.

Just thinking....
    I'm with you, Andy. Anything that moves, or enters the light path degrades quality, in an absolute sense, but only absolute fools deal in absolutes. And, yes, imagine the possibilities! One could be programmed to produce the diffusion patterns used in Imagons, Softars, etc., for instance, or infinitely variable, and/or graduated in any pattern neutral density, and the list goes on. Imagine one that was user programmable in the field. I think it's a fantastic idea, though I don't know its feasibility. A perfect example of forward thinking and applying new technology to old problems. I hope it proves out, and if it does, I will buy one, and hope it could be made compatible with the Sinar F/P system in the same way the Sinar shutters are.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    What are the exact optical characteristics of the LCD in transparent mode, e.g. refractive index, color fidelity, etc?

Unlike a real shutter, an LCD shutter is in the path of the image-forming light, and will introduce aberrations and distortion.

- Leigh
    Very practical questions that will have to be addressed, although I wouldn't have said "Unlike a real shutter", since LCD shutters do exist and are functional.

Hi Jay,

I used the phrase "unlike a real shutter" because an LCD shutter cannot
    match the performance of same in either transparency or opacity.

While it may be a functional analog, it is not a functional substitute.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I think the real question is

How many megapix will this be?

Joking aside, this sounds rad. I'd love to see one and put it to some funky uses.