Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: List of the most expensive photographs

Re: List of the most expensive photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Yes Kirk, I despise Warhol. In fact, I regard the whole Pop Art era as the dark ages of American art. And yes Jim, Fauxtography is meant as a term of contempt, but in relation to perception, not technique. I despise it when it becomes a substitute for really perceiving the world. As part of simple process getting from point A to point B, capture to print, it's just another valid tool parallel to film and darkroom, or perhaps
    supplementary in some kind of hybrid workflow. Tools are one thing, the philosophy
    behind them another. And it's getting to be a pretty precarious slope at the moment.
    Photoshop is getting to be LSD in a picture frame.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I don't expect you to care what flavor ice cream I don't like, so I'm not going to waste anyone's time by sharing.
    Ice creams I don't like:
    Turkey, gravy, and cranberries.
    Brussel sprouts, broccoli and avacado.
    Pickled pig's feet, horse radish, and lima beans, with lecithin swirls.

You will never get these 10 seconds of your life back. Ever.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brings back some very funny remembrances actually. At a 60's alcohol and drug party at Dennis Hoppers' house in Taos. I actually stumbled and stuck my elbow through the glass of a Warhol portrait of DH and he was pissed (in more ways than one!) and I quickly made an exit.

Anyway, I try to see the difference between what I like from what I believe (through study usually of art history, going to museums etc.) to be important art. This is necessary because there is allot of "important" art throughout history that I don't like. I am also not naive enough to think that I am even qualified on my own to be knowledgeable about what is important in the history of art so I read allot and visit museums frequently. To believe and defend a position that doesn't attempt to separate the two is frankly a bit provincial and narcissistic, but that is allot of what I see expressed here.

Warhol is one of those artists who I don't care much for personally, but having been an aspiring artist at a major art school during his heyday, I witnessed his impact (impact is not necessarily good or bad but his impact was great) and can see his place in the history of art.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Be annoyed then, Paul. Maybe I'm annoyed when NYC thinks it's the Vatican of taste and can pontificate on what is relevant or not. I can appreciate the selection of venues you enjoy and the fact that people are more likely to spend serious money on
    wall art than they are here. Pop art might have been a healthy interlude making fun
    of the status quo back in the day, but now its a Byzantine entrenched regime itself.
    Warhol started that trend of man/machine hybridization between graphic art and painting. Clever. But now Photoshop has turned it into an epidemic. It will wear thin
    in time. Everything does. And maybe then folks will start perceiving that the ole West
    Coast School of high craftsmenship and straight photography isn't so dated or backwards after all. Maybe what this country does need at this time is a good dose
    of strong regionalism to thumb its nose once again at the big city fashionistas.

Drew Wiley

Of course, Kirk, I can understand how in the bigger scheme of things of art history per
    se one has to look at the significance of influences. In fact, without going into names,
    I can recognize the sheer brilliance of some of the persons in the current pop art redux
    and appreciate their compositional skill. I can even appreciate the wit of M&M though I detest rap music in general. At the museum level I enjoy all kinds of venues, though my
    work schedule allows me limited opportunities. But war has always been part of art.
    Heck, all the social realism of the 30's which folks today think of as old fogey (and I
    don't particularly care for myself) was in its day thought of as radical and rebellious,
    and would even get an artist on the FBI list. Things go in cycles. And at least around
    here its the young techies that are beginning to regard digital technique as daily life,
    but old school film and darkroom as real art. Hence the surprising connection between
    the traditional West Coast school of EW,BW,AA etc and what is gaining interest once
    again among the younger set. They seem to appreciate hands-on technique. I really don't care what goes on in NYC. If I can sell a print a month I'll be doing well.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I don't see how anything can be considered art without a pixie in it.

You're all a bunch of fakers...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Be annoyed then, Paul. Maybe I'm annoyed when NYC thinks it's the Vatican of taste and can pontificate on what is relevant or not.
    I don't speak for the city of New York, but I'm pretty sure it and its institutions could care less about what you think, or what I think, for that matter. Can you show me an example of someone pontificating? If this city's institutions are on any kind of pedestal, it's because they've managed to attract interest from elsewhere. If they stop doing that, the world's eyes will wander. As they do often enough already. There is no one art vatican. If anything there's more interesting stuff going on in Berlin than there is here. The Vennice biennalle seems like at least as big a deal as the Whitney's. And the internet is democratizing influence more and more every day, which I think is a good thing overall.

I can appreciate the selection of venues you enjoy ...
    If you look through this thread, you'll notice that I haven't said a word about what art or what venues I enjoy. As I said previously, I don't have any expectations that my personal tastes would be of interest to anyone else, especially in a conversation that's about something as impersonal as record prices.

Drew Wiley

What's impersonal about record prices? It a remarkable show-window on both demographics and the whole parasitic groupie mentality surrounding contemporary art.
    If it's not a curator pontificating (which I agree, is normally not the case) it is the
    surrounding school of fish who benefit from all the hype financially. Want to get rich -
    pull off a big scam and not a little one. Where better to do it?

Soooooooo........ how exactly is this bad for photography?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well obviously only the best photographers get no recognition or sales and have to work a 9-5 to afford their "professional photography" that everyone else is too stupid to realize the greatness of.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome