Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format assignments?!

Re: Large format assignments?!

My most recent LF assignment was for a environmental learning center that wanted to show their members how the "old time photographers" made photographs. Most of these people were too young to have ever seen a view camera. It was actually fun showing kids how a "real" camera moves. What the kids loved was the upside down and backwards image. So it wasn't so much they wanted a LF photo, just a LF camera.

I don't think the majority of photographers have learned to use appropriate tools to create imagery. In 150 years plus people still are predjudiced relative to personal tastes. There are two routes taken usually, one is - I will not accept jobs that I can not shoot on film -with a LF camera so it can be enlarged to 62 x 42 feet. The second route- is any and all work is good that allows me to claim to be a pro....so I use my phone to take your facebook picture and you pay me $600.00 USD. Either way may work...the answer what right is you. If you expect top dollar for LF work that sucks butt, with my phone in hand I'll be laughing. I will state that an accomplished LF photographer is a being worthy of admiration and respect.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You think those kind of errors started with PS? Crappy composites have existed since the origins of photography.

But then (pre digital) photos with errors were rejected. Now the photos with errors are cure using PS with varying degrees of success. And we can see that kind of effects.

Łukasz, don't waste your time on this topic. There is a big difference between Europe and America. Particularly in the US in a certain area you will encounter some people living on a very fast lane, denying their own past, forgetting their life. Don't argue with them. It won't lead to anything but weird stuff. Just imagine the numbers: 50 years of photographic experience... Do you know the real age of the author?

Oh, before I forget, yes, I'm still doing LF. And MF. Only film, no digital. No, it's not because someone likes my nose, it is because film - as I shoot and process it - is a superior medium.

But hell, the majority and I understand your question, and I really don't like how it has been kidnapped again and turned into a fu..ing digital vs analog thread.

There is a big difference between Europe and America. Particularly in the US in a certain area you will encounter some people living on a very fast lane, denying their own past, forgetting their life. Don't argue with them. It won't lead to anything but weird stuff. Just imagine the numbers: 50 years of photographic experience... Do you know the real age of the author?
    If this refers to me, let me explain, I have been an avid photographer with a darkroom since I was 10 (my father was an advanced amateur who wanted me to be a photographer). I had my first published work at 16. I am now 61. And FWIW I've been showing my b&W photography in galleries and museums since 1972 (at age 22-40 years) and making my living doing commercial photography full time since 1978 (starting at age 28-34 years). Additionally I've been teaching photography at the university level for 25 years.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 27-Jan-2012 at 14:00.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Łukasz, don't waste your time on this topic. There is a big difference between Europe and America. ...

Oh, before I forget, yes, I'm still doing LF. And MF. Only film, no digital. No, it's not because someone likes my nose, it is because film - as I shoot and process it - is a superior medium.

But hell, the majority and I understand your question, and I really don't like how it has been kidnapped again and turned into a fu..ing digital vs analog thread.
    Yes, Jens, it really is a pity that many threads do tend to degenerate, and often surprisingly quickly. So often, it seems to me, it appears to be forgotten that photography is really just about making images and that image making should be central, period.

This is all especially relevant to me at the moment. Currently it is a pleasure to be working closely with `a client' -- `collaborator' would be better -- who is simply interested in creating images. As usual, I'm using my heavy 4x5 monorail with all its attendant boxes and bits and pieces. We have lots of discussions and work slowly, perhaps making five images on a good day. But really, this long slow drawn out process is just the way we have decided to do it, and that is just fine. And, as it turns out, others who are reviewing our work are happy too -- the transparencies we give them are something they can sit down to and pass around, something to hold, and that's a little unusual these days, and pleasing.

So really, along with you, I also get a bit fed up with constantly hearing about `commercial realities' that make film based photography impractical. I can understand that some people have clients that may not put up with the delays and inconveniences associated with film, but that's certainly not good reason to imply that such clients don't exist. It seems to me that there will always be people who just want images, who are willing to quietly work towards them, and who are willing to wait a little -- thankfully, as I really wouldn't be willing to collaborate with anyone else.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Mahoney; 27-Jan-2012 at 19:55.
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    My most recent LF assignment was for a environmental learning center that wanted to show their members how the "old time photographers" made photographs. Most of these people were too young to have ever seen a view camera. It was actually fun showing kids how a "real" camera moves. What the kids loved was the upside down and backwards image. So it wasn't so much they wanted a LF photo, just a LF camera.
    haha count me in as one of those kids!

Hey Kirk, my Nikon has a very accurate digital level built into it. It works in both the horizontal and vertical positions. My Arca Swiss has them too but it's the old-timey bubbly thing.

Maybe the single important advantage I see in shooting film is having the tangible film record — usually a transparency. A disk or hard drive is for me much more likely to become lost, damaged or unreadable even with careful storage compared to my transparencies. In 40 years as a full-time photographer I have yet to have an important transparency become damaged or lost. My inclination is to treasure them more.

Setting that aside, I prefer the sure and quick satisfaction of high-quality original digital capture for most assignments. I can predict the color, place values and repeat if needed like I seldom can with film.

Yes, I continue to do occasional LF film assignments but the choice is at my discretion.

In 40 years as a full-time photographer I have yet to have an important transparency become damaged or lost.
    You must be blessed. I've had Fed Ex lose them, ad agencies lose them, magazines lose them and the same damage them more times than I can remember. Prior to doing my own scanning, when I had to send them out to be scanned by every publication, like in the 80's and nineties, my widely published transparencies from those periods look like they've been through a war.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

That's not the fault of film per se, it's the fault of the wrong people who had them in their hands, who have been lazy, who had no real interest, who did not value your work. Common problem in the fast paced America during that era, but it changed. Ironically professionals are more professional today and treat negatives and slides in a much more cautious way. Same story over here in Europe. However, I've selected the best labs with really careful people and never lost one single image.

The only film that had been lost was one from a Ferrari assignment, when we had some intruders in our offices who wanted to force me out of business by stealing everything they could get into their hands, and unfortunately this particular film was laying on the desk top while we had been out for lunch. It was my mistake, because I knew the threat.

Anyway, I am tired of reading the artificial nightmare stories about film that had been lost, burned, torn apart, lost colors, etc. etc.

What I can't stand is the attitude of some people: If you don't work digital, you have missed the path to the future, you are 'outdated', etc., etc., as if there isn't enough room for different approaches.

I really expect more tolerance, particularly in a forum like this one! As far as I remember carries the name LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY and not SENSOR PHOTOGRAPHY, Mr. Gittings and Mr. Moderator.

Could it be that you are participating in the wrong forum with your digital attitude? There are countless forums where you could shine, but please accept that a large amount of the members over here prefer film. There is absolutely no need to promote your digital stuff being superior.