Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aperture- compared to Photoshop PS5

Re: Aperture- compared to Photoshop PS5

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Not at all.

Photoshop is a curse upon the photographic world.

- Leigh
    Why is PS a curse on the photographic world?

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Not hating Photoshop automatically raises questions about one's aesthetic judgement.

--Darin
    Why do you hate PS?

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Why is PS a curse on the photographic world?
    Because it makes photographers lazy and careless, as has become the norm in our modern computer society.

Rather than taking the time and effort to make a proper image in the first place, they happily click the shutter release with the expectation that they can "correct" their failings using a computer.

Sloppy, slovenly work.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Because it makes photographers lazy and careless, as has become the norm in our modern computer society.

Rather than taking the time and effort to make a proper image in the first place, they happily click the shutter release with the expectation that they can "correct" their failings using a computer.

Sloppy, slovenly work.

- Leigh
    I'm sorry but I just totally disagree with that premise. Anyway let's stop this discussion here since any further jousting won't be productive.

Don

Anyway let's stop this discussion here since any further jousting won't be productive.
    I agree.

Everyone has an opinion, and rightfully so. They're all equally worth what you pay for them.

- Leigh

I live and breath to take pictures. I love the smell of fixer in the morning, it makes me feel like a photographer. I have been taking pictures since i was 13 years old. Anything, a computer program, computer, printer, camera that will make my pictures better i want to use. Photoshop, Lightroom, Macintosh... i dont hate anything except a bad print. I will use any tools at my disposal to make the execution of a great performance (the print)

I do not understand the passion for for or against software, computer ect... if it works in your work flow great ... if it does not big deal.... i want performance, speed, and efficacy.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Blaming a tool for the worst work people do with it when they're lazy ... that's just lazy thinking.

Might as well blame the word processor for lazy writing.
    (I wouldn't put this past some people ...)

Why do you hate PS?

Don Bryant
    When I was a teenager I taught myself to program in Pascal. In my early twenties I had this cool program called "Think Pascal" that had this really elegant system of formatting the text for you--boldfacing certain key terms, indenting automatically, and so forth. That, combined with a nice debugger and Pascal's nature gave the code a certain elegance. As I become a better programmer I began to see a deeper elegance in the code itself, the logic and beauty of the thought as embodied in that text. I greatly admired the Macintosh operating system because it too seemed to hold to those values. Both the language and the computer were both beautiful tools--maybe not Art itself but certainly a physical manifestation of humanity and its values.

I admire such tools and feel I do better work with them. It is not simply aesthetics. The more the tool makes it easier to do what you want to do the more it gets out of the way, the more easily you can work. The more the tool is a partner the better. The more easily you can reach the highest highs.

To me Photoshop gets the job done. That's about it. I'm happy enough when it doesn't get in the way. When I use it I don't feel anything special about the tool, which is a shame considering how central that tool is to our creative process.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Blaming a tool for the worst work people do with it when they're lazy ... that's just lazy thinking.

Might as well blame the word processor for lazy writing.
    (I wouldn't put this past some people ...)
    True.

And if all that fails, they can always blame the computer.

Most of the tool haters essentially hate the tools they cannot control, for some reason or the other. I've yet to see anyone hate the tool they have truly mastered.

thanks to all who contributed- Im the first to admit that Im rather computer illiterate which is most likely the reason I only upgrade every 8 years or so as is the case here. Im sure CS to CS5 is a jump that wont happen easily but Im switching platforms and my license wont transfer or upgrade (actually Im working off upgrades to a PS6 original license). I think my lack of knowlege will lead to using the trial and seeing if there is anything in it for me- thanks again to all who replied.