Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Re: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Though you have to reposition the back 90 degrees rather than rotating the back, the Anba Ikeda 4x5 is very light.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/nagaoka_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    But there are several cameras that are a half a pound, or more, LIGHTER than your TOHO...
    And those would be...?

The Anba Ikeda is a little lighter, but not half a pound lighter IIRC. And it doesn't have the full movements front and back that the Toho has. What else is lighter weight?

Bruce Watson

The Intrepid was already mentioned, and apparently sits at just shy of 2 pounds. That answers the question of "lightest" camera with a back that can be set vertically and horizontally I believe.

I thought my first-generation Chamonix 45n1 camera was spec'd at 2.7 pounds but thinking about it and having it readily at my fingertips, I went and weighed it. The camera is just shy of 3 pounds according to my scale (no lens or anything of course). It has longer bellows reach and a shorter minimum extension - so personally I think the lightest 4x5 field camera with the most versatile set of features and abilities is the old Chamonix.

The Anba Ikeda mentioned above seems to be 2.6 pounds, according to someone on the internet. The Toho sits at just a bit over 3 pounds. xkaes' website says the Toko is about 3.75 pounds. So the Intrepid is by far the lightest, with the Ikeda next, then the Chamonix/Toho, then the Toko.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    And those would be...?

The Anba Ikeda is a little lighter, but not half a pound lighter IIRC. And it doesn't have the full movements front and back that the Toho has. What else is lighter weight?
    I'm not here to do your homework, but check out the Ikeda, Nagaoka, Rajah, and Gowland models, as well as those mentioned by others. But more to the point, the original OP did not define "rotating", and did not state what is more important -- lightweight or rotating back?

I can not find an official specs page for the Gowland Pocket View, but an article describes the weight as "3-4 pounds." I think there was two different models or something - perhaps that's why the weight is given as a range. In any case, not that light, not even close to the Intrepid.

An online reviewer states the Nagaoka is 2.6 pounds - the same as the Ikeda. Same camera, different brand?

Oh, and "lightest camera with a rotating back" seems pretty clear to me, other than the distinction between "rotating back" like on a Linhof and the more common removable back that can be switched to h/v orientation. They both obviously do the same thing, so I don't think that matters. The answer is the Intrepid.

Thanks everyone for these amazing recommendations. The Intrepid seems really interesting, from a weight point of view, and also from a price point of view !

But what is the lightest camera that has a rotating back? The one a Toyo 45AII has, so to speak. Rotating, revolving, or whatever one wants to call it !

Cannot recall the times I have used such an amazing feature on my RZ. I want it on my 4x5 as well !

Just to be clear, do you want a rotating back that does not come off the camera? I don't think any camera that has that is even in the same league as the suggested cameras with simple removeable/switchable backs, in terms of weight.

Please watch this video of the Chamonix to see how the back "rotation" works. It is the same on the Intrepid more or less:

This link should take you to the time of 4:46, which is where it is shown. If using the above video, just scroll ahead to 4:46.

If you want a quick rotating back like on the Toyo 45AII, Linhof Technikas, etc., the weight penalty will be quite a lot for the slightly faster mechanism. If you are shooting fast handheld I can see that being a plus - I do use that on my Linhof as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Please watch this video of the Chamonix to see how the back "rotation" works.
    Thanks for the video. It makes me glad I don't own a Chamonix!

More to the point, that is NOT a rotating back. It is a flipping back or repositionable back. It must be removed first and then manually flipped or repositioned.

Yes I am well aware, that's why I have "quotation marks" around rotation. I said above that you remove and switch. I can't seem to remember if there's a better descriptor.

Not sure why you say you are glad you don't own a Cham? It's a great camera, but of course to each his own, but what do you have a problem with?

Light? How light? I just weighed my Chamonix 45N-2 on a gram balance to ±2 grams: 1,590 grams, or 3.498 lb. I love it!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."