Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nyc lab for 4x5 develop

Re: nyc lab for 4x5 develop

I used to use LTI, but now send my stuff to Praus. He does the same process that LTI calls their "special process" and doesn't charge extra for it... mottle free film for everyone, not just those willing to pay twice as much!

When i come to new york in June i am really looking forward to dropping my 50 sheets in and paying $175 and not $500 . Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    I've always had good luck with CRC at 20 West 22nd St. I've had everything up to 5x7 color done there. They do 8x10.

See: http://vistaimaginggroup.com/lab-services/
    I've used them for some time. And they are ok. I had some 120 negs messed up (it was a few years ago and I don't remember the problem exactly, I think some hardened fix spots that I asked them to wash off again).

But I believe it's $4 per sheet for dev and sleeve C41 for 4x5 which is more reasonable than some of the others.

Chelsea Photographic services...they used to be called Chelsea Labs I think...

I'm pretty sure these were the guys we used back in the early 2000's....lots of good photogs used them...
    Jim Nachtwey for one.

Another is MV Labs
    4 West 37th St., 5th Fl (Bell 5)
    New York City NY 10018

It's owned by James Megargee...he printed and processed for a lot of the heavyweights such as Leibovitz

Quote Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
    I've used them for some time. And they are ok. I had some 120 negs messed up (it was a few years ago and I don't remember the problem exactly, I think some hardened fix spots that I asked them to wash off again).

But I believe it's $4 per sheet for dev and sleeve C41 for 4x5 which is more reasonable than some of the others.
    fwiw, I've heard the bad cases of every lab in los angeles messing up someone's film at one time or another. This got cross processed, those negs got spots on them, etc. I'm speaking of A&I, The Icon, Samys', etc. Everyone makes mistakes in the dark, I know I have.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    fwiw, I've heard the bad cases of every lab in los angeles messing up someone's film at one time or another. This got cross processed, those negs got spots on them, etc. I'm speaking of A&I, The Icon, Samys', etc. Everyone makes mistakes in the dark, I know I have.
    Fair enough. This has happened more than I would expect though which is why I noted it.

Quote Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
    Fair enough. This has happened more than I would expect though which is why I noted it.
    yeah, that certainly doesn't help a lab's recommendation......

nyc lab for 4x5 develop

+1 for MV Labs, I intern there one day a week. We only do black and white though, no color, which I think was the original question.

Jim is a great black and white printer so MV is a good place to go to have prints made.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    +1 for MV Labs, I intern there one day a week. We only do black and white though, no color, which I think was the original question.

Jim is a great black and white printer so MV is a good place to go to have prints made.
    I love websites from the "digital stone age" (anything pre-2005).

This certainly qualifies:
    http://www.mvlabs.com/

Being a web-developer I just find it amusing. Nothing against Jim btw. Having a cutting edge, responsive website doesn't qualify one to develop negatives or prints. In fact, I trust him more :-).

Soory, I realize the OP was looking for color 4x5...when I worked in NY, we used Print Zone in NY
    for all our color neg processing...they were great.