Thread: What have i found?

Question What have i found?

Greeting to all

This is first post from a total newbie. Sorry in advance if I violate protocol.

I have found a very old box of 12 metal framed, glass plates (85mm x 100mm).

They appear to be a commercial set intended for use in an image projector.

The images on the plates are B/W scenes of the Rhine River.

The following is on the top of each slide: "Der Rhine bei Koblenz" "Rhihe Do 239"
    This is followed by a more specific description of the particular image.

At the bottom of each slide is "Ed. Liesegang, Dusseldorf".

I'd be most grateful if someone could provide information regarding these plates. And/or a source where I could do more research.

Thanks so much,

edunne02

Re: What have i found?

There were many companies that produced travel and exotic slide series for Magic Lantern projectors.

It is was not enough to make the hardware - the public had to have pictures to show.
    Magic lanterns were used in Education/Lectures as well as better-off middle class homes.

Evangelical societies also did a big business with "holy" slide series.

Ed Liesegang was the most successful maker of projectors/lenses in Germany - and sold slide series.
    I have even seen a slide series by Liesegang showing lens production at one of his lens maker rivals in Germany!

These are quite common - there are special categories of the animated slides and the usual erotic variations for all-men audiences (I'm told!).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    There were many companies that produced travel and exotic slide series for Magic Lantern projectors.

It is was not enough to make the hardware - the public had to have pictures to show.
    Magic lanterns were used in Education/Lectures as well as better-off middle class homes.

Evangelical societies also did a big business with "holy" slide series.

Ed Liesegang was the most successful maker of projectors/lenses in Germany - and sold slide series.
    I have even seen a slide series by Liesegang showing lens production at one of his lens maker rivals in Germany!

These are quite common - there are special categories of the animated slides and the usual erotic variations for all-men audiences (I'm told!).
    Mr. Tribe,

Thanks very much for taking time to reply.

Quite informative.

One last question... Is there a market for such slides?

Thanks again!

Ed

There is a yahoo group called PhotoHistory that I lurk on. These folks tend to be incredibly knowledgeable. You might post a question there...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    There is a yahoo group called PhotoHistory that I lurk on. These folks tend to be incredibly knowledgeable. You might post a question there...

Lenny
    Lenny,

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

ED